Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

MBR Rug Arrived In Record Time!

kswl2
9 years ago

I know you are all probably sick of my MBR and new floors (finally done after flood in January, extended to MBR in extreme case of "scope creep," so apologies for yet another picture.

But, I am in love with karastan's French check carpet, which we are putting in dh's downstairs study and also using as an area rug in front basement room, both green and cream. Saw the yellow sample in carpet showroom and swooned, finally made up mind to order four days ago after running argument with self along lines of, how much plaid carpet or rug can one house use before you look like Scottish theme park, etc. it arrived last night and is now in bedroom, below. And I just ordered another to anchor the seating area of green chair and green gingham sofa on other side of room.....I am truly MAD about plaid!!!

Comments (35)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love it! The yellow and cream is perfect in your bedroom and I will never tire of seeing your lovely home!

I think Karastan is a wonderful carpet. The one that is in my living room now was formerly in our library and it has worn like iron. I am planning on tearing the carpet out of our master bedroom and putting sapele hardwood in. I will need an area carpet and plan on buying Karastan.

• teeda
    9 years ago

That is so gorgeous! Excellent choice!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Soooooo nice!

• gail618
    9 years ago

I love it!! Absolutely perfect!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! Eight years ago I almost replaced the wall to wall carpet with a yellow Maslin carpet with a white trellis pattern, but something about the yellow threw me off. When I saw this one I knew immediately the color and pattern would be perfect. Really pleased with it!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

That is so beautiful. You have a lovely bedroom and a lovely home. We need more pictures once the guests leave and you have recovered. More pictures, more pictures, we want more pictures.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nicely done room!

• loribee
    9 years ago

Love it. Such a pretty room!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Lovely! Was this cut from a bolt of carpeting and the edges bound?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Graywings, this is French check carpet in yellow bound to 5'8" x 8'9" (why they didn't just make it 6 x 9 I don't know!). I purchased it from a site called plushrugs.com for $659; the wool fiber pad was included and it was shipped directly from Karastan. In contrast, a larger 8' x 10' custom size rug of the green check ordered through an interior designer was three times the cost of this one. I assume therefore that the smaller area rugs are made up from the ends of the carpet bolts at the factory and that's why they ship so quickly and are so reasonable. I thought the cost of this rug, bound beautifully at the factory in the same yellow wool used in the carpet itself, was a bargain!

• Jules
    9 years ago

Beautiful room, and that rug ties it together perfectly. I'm glad you posted the rug size ... helpful to know. Is that a queen bed?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it's queen size. We slept in a full size bed for 21 years and finally moved up to a queen. It seems a king size is more common for couples now but this size seems very spacious to us :-)

• zen4d
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Beautiful new rug and room!
    On my monitor, it appears the rug color & walls go together very well.

I also like the fabric wall hanging above the bed.

Nice lighting in that pic, too. Is it natural light from windows and/or skylights?

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. I am so in love with yellow lately and I covet your rug now. :) Thanks so much for sharing.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just lovely! The color is perfect and everything works perfectly together. So happy for you!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I am so pleased, that yellow gives my spirits a lift whenever I look at it.

Laurie, the photo was taken with an iPad mini with no flash, natural light only from windows and a French door. We have no skylights, I love them but they we would burn up with them. In fact it's so sunny already the windows and door are covered with an awning extending out 8ft from the house and 14 ft along the house. (Great passive solar gain in the winter though.)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Gorgeous room!! Tres chic!

Elegant and very charming! :)

Love the rug -- just so right for the whole room! Great choice! :)

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

kswl, I bet the odd size is the result of making the rug symmetrical with a complete row of yellow checks along each outside edge. Very pretty!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful. And it sounds like such a great deal too.

• voila
    9 years ago

Just beautiful. Especially love the settee at the foot of the bed.

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

Lovely room! The rug is perfect.

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

Perfect! Very inviting room.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you thank you! Voila, that settee is a hand painted, green lacquer piece that was in our family dining room when I was growing up. My mother gave it to me about fifteen years ago for my birthday. It has been in every room in several houses and looked great in each place, but when ID put it at the foot of our bed in this house I knew it had found a permanent home.

Lazy daisy, I think you are right about the size, each side does end on the edge of a full check.

Outside, it was a TOTAL deal and that of course just makes me like it all the more :-)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

So unique a total MBR design and so beautiful. Love that large mirror on the inside wall also, opposite the windows.

Did you say the yellow color paint brand?

Another call for more photos when you have time.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

Looks magazine worthy! I am wondering if your headboard is attached to a standard bed frame. I have a higher bed like that and wanted to take off the footboard because my room is so small, but a standard bedframe doesn't work. Could you please tell me what kind of a frame you used? Thanks!

• emeraldisle624
    9 years ago

I seriously thought that was your inspiration picture from a magazine before I read the post.

You should be a designer, that room is gorgeous!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Love it. It is perfect. Thanks for the tip about the web site.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like the plaid, seems a lot fresher then the trellis.

Great color, too! enjoy

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sparklingwater the color is Benjamin Moore Hawthorne Yellow, ID chose it almost 9 years ago and I've never even been tempted to change it. The mirror placement was a bit of ID whimsy :-)

Katrina Ellen, the bed is on a standard bed frame but with different legs, I will look up the site for you for the aftermarket legs. The headboard is just attached to the frame, handy guy may have had to drill different holes to make it work, I will ask him, too.

Emerald, we actually had a wonderful interior designer, he is the same guy who is redoing our basement. Thank you for that nice compliment though, I did hire him after all, lol.

Dedtired, I would recommend that site without hesitation, their service is swift, and Mtn that whole trellis thing was BIG about 10 years ago and now, not so much. Since gingham will probably never be a popular choice for carpets or rugs, maybe this will stay fresh :-)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Thanks for the followup kswl. Of course, Hawthorne Yellow, I should have known. :)

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KatrinaEllen here is the website (link below) where I purchased the taller legs for our bed frame. They come in 12" and 15" heights. Ours are 15", you attach six of them to the frame. The headboard we have is rather tall, and it is attached to the frame by drilling holes in the legs of the frame higher up than the predrilled holes, if that makes sense. We did not buy the footboard and rails because dh is a tall man and hates footboards. This was an easy solution that was actually supposed to be temporary....about 12 years ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: Legs to make bed frame taller

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

Thank you kswl!! My challenges space-wise are such that every inch counts and removing the footboard will really help, I have been wondering if there was any way to do it because it was made for rails and a footboard so thanks again for the link!
    Btw, I love the simplicity of your bedding, it doesn't need all the extra decorative pillows like you see so often, to look finished.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are very welcome, K E! I would rather have a place to sit down at the end of the bed as well, which is stylistically a bit difficult with a footboard.

I purchase duvet covers and shams and occasionally other bedding from a site that sells cotton percale to inns and bed and breakfasts. The duvet covers have a zip opening and I cannot tell you how much wrestling with a down duvet they have saved us!