Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark LR Advice

Posted by Tibbrix (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:34

As many of you know by now, I love chocolate brown. Right now, I've got BM White Sand on my LR walls, and I do not like it. The LR is a winter living room, Colonial in style, and the porch becomes the LR in warm weather.

I want to paint the LR a brown. The trim and doors are BM White Dove. LR is east facing, so it doesn't get any direct sunlight, and is much lighter first thing in the morning than the rest of the day.

No wall has a lot of wall space due to the windows, wood trim, fireplace, paintings, mirror, etc., which is the only reason I dare try a dark brown.

My worry, though, is the low pine ceiling. I want the room to be cozy, a great place to curl up by a fire with a book or to watch TV during a snowstorm/cold winter nights (and days), but will the pine ceiling cause a dark color to transcend cozy and move into cave-y or creepy?

I can't find any pics of low pine ceilings in rooms with dark walls.

What do you all think? I'll post two pics of the LR.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark LR Advice

other angle

o

What a wonderful room!!!! :) Totally in love with your style! :)

Yes -- dark brown would be wonderful -- and bring a depth and balance with the "heavier" brown ceiling. Your pale rug and white woodwork and accents really help to bring out lighter elements to the wonderful room! :)

How about a deeper green -- to go with the charming colors of the artwork over the fireplace? Just a thought! :)

Nevertheless -- if you choose a deeper tone for the walls -- do consider switching to larger (and far more) lamps or lighting options .....

For example -- switch to a larger lamp under the Moroccan-style mirror -- and add a lamp to the round table OR a standing lamp behind the creamy chair near the fireplace ...

o

What you have now is perfect for the type of room you say you are looking for. The ceiling adds all the coziness you could want and the walls keep things from getting depressing. Maybe a buttery yellow could be the answer if you are looking for a change. Do you have a dining room or other smaller space? Maybe the dark brown could go in there. Sorry, no help from me, but I love your LR just as it is.

o

I think this is the look you'll have with a wood ceiling and dark walls.

It may suit you perfectly. It would be too gloomy for me.

o

Thanks Teacast and jjam. So, we're 50/50 right out of the gate! Lol. You see my dilemma!

Teacats, I actually do have another lamp on that round glass table. I had just moved it to make room for that Christmas decoration. It's an antique copper lamp with that bubbly milk glass shade.

Green is my favorite color…EXCEPT for wall color. I don't like any paints with green undertones I'm definitely a cool paint color person, so even the browns I'm looking at are gray based, which may not work for this room! It's the only warm room in the house, actually.

Thank you, jjam. Your input is very helpful. A lot of heads are way better than one! Thank you also, for the compliment.

The White Sand looks good when it's the color you see in the first pic, which for about 5 minutes a day, first thing in the morning. Most of the time it's more like the peachy drab you see in the second pic, which is what I really do not like.

Yes, my worry is that the ceiling will cause a dark color to make the room "depressing", as you think it will, versus quaint and cozy.

o

Well, you know, I'm really into a dark blue.....

There are not a whole lot of rooms with dark walls and wood ceiling. I'd imagine that the paint would have to be dark enough to offer some contrast, or else it would be all brown.
Most of the ones I found are bedrooms with high ceilings.

Would you keep your brown sofa and the wood furniture? Maybe a medium blue or purple?

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 21:11

o

bbstx: eek.

Closest is probably the pic from nosoccermom of the bedroom with the skis, only my room has all white wood trim and doors (three of them in the room), which makes a HUGE difference when dealing with a dark color. Also, none of my walls has the large area like in that pic. I don't believe dark colors do well at ALL on large walls, but I think having outlined wall space Ie: around pics, windows, doors, etc., is a great opportunity to use a dark color. I wouldn't hesitate but for that dang ceiling!

o

Well, there's only one way to find out (or you tape rolls of brown Kraft paper on the walls)

o

Try it---It's only paint--- a gallon or two --- and by the first coat you will know if you like it. It's not something I would do, but it's your house :-). Why don't you try painting it red as a halfway step? That coral and brown room on the red thread is fantastically cozy-- and would be even more so with your ceiling.

o

Wow, what a gorgeous room! Your style is amazing.

I am on the fence about going too dark. I personally think what you have is beautiful but understand completely about wanting to make a change. Especially if it has peach undertones. I do think you either need to go dark or light, not in-between. Do you have a color in mind?

o

I don't necessarily think dark is bad, but I think brown is very tricky with the brown ceiling. I'd be more inclined to go with navy.

o

That's the thing, kswl, I do all the painting myself, and this LR is difficult to paint because the walls are like paneling, plus all the wood trim. I has to be painted entirely by hand, no rolling. Plus, parts of it don't hold paint well, so I have to sand a lot.

the dark colors I'm looking at are my BFF BM Midsummer Night, but that is almost black, so I'm pretty sure it's just too dark. the other two dark dark ones are, darker to lighter: (all BM) North Creek Brown; North Wood Brown; Rustic Taupe, Cabot Trail..and upward.

those are all on the same chip! #118. I love every color on that chip.

Where's Suero when you want your room digitally painted!

Lol. Can anyone Photoshop some of these maybe?

Thank you all, so much, for the very kind compliments on my LR! How nice of you. Sofa is Hickory Chair, and the round seagrass table is Kincaid, but the rest is Le Craigslist (and one chair which was my grandfather's!) including the lamps! Dang framing of the posters cost me way more than the furniture!

o

crl, navy is out because the other colors in the room are browns, olive green and cranberry. Copper and gold in the lighting.

Re: red. Red is my least favorite color, so that's a no-go. But I wonder…maybe a cranberry? Hmm…..

o

Ok, navy is a no. But you have a lot of brown in the room. I think it will all just blend in too much and you won't see the lovely furnishings if you paint the walls dark brown. (Plus I still think it will be hard to get a brown that works well with the ceiling).

o

I wouldn't change a thing!! I love your style.

o

I love your idea of dark brown walls for a winter living room. Dark brown walls would set off the warm glow of that beautiful wood ceiling. You have light colored rugs on the floor which will bounce light from the windows & keep the room from feeling cave like. I say go with your gut and paint the walls brown -- and post pictures when you're done!

o

I can't get the exact color of brown that I would like, but with a sufficiency of white trim and all the windows, I think that you can get the cosy effect you want without it looking like a cave.

o

Oh, by golly, I think that is beautiful. Suero, that is a big, big help. If it was my room, as much as I love the breezy summer look, I would want that room somewhere far away from the cold night air, someone's hand resting on my knee...oh, wouldn't it be loverleee....that's the way it looks. Go for it, Tibbrix.

o

I saw your comment about painting on the SW thread-- so glad you started this one because I enjoy seeing pics of your gorgeous home.

I understand your hesitation about painting and it being a mistake. Very time consuming and, for me, expensive.

I love that you have the option of both a summer/winter LR. Your LR looks stunning as-is, but I understand the need for cozy. On Pinterest, my name is cozy world, since I LOVE anything cozy.

Brown is really calling to you . . .I think Suero's photo shows that it can work!

o

I too like your room as is. The closest I can see is a cocoa brown. Dark brown=cigar box.
You are "itching" for dark brown. I agree too that it should be used else where. Do you have a powder room or dining room that it would work in?

o

My first inclination was NOOO, especially seeing how dark the pictures posted were. But that photoshop made me change my tune, it looks lovely. I think that the white trim really makes all the difference. It is beautiful either way. My one thing to mention is that you are looking at gray browns, but with the warm tones of the pine on the ceiling, I would just want to make sure that you don't pick one so cool toned that it fights the ceiling.

o

What color is your sofa? Just wondering what the side of the room would look like with brown.

What about dark or olive green?

Look at it upside down:

Not feeling it, but green is my least favorite color.

And how much green and cranberry is in the room? I'm still rooting for a navy blue :) Or Van Courtland blue

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:56

o

Oh, my goodness, I love suero! Thank you so much for doing that.
Yes, that brown is redder than I would go (I'm looking at all gray/browns), but that rendering is SO helpful.

Wow. That's pretty tempting, huh?

Patricia, in my case, it would be someone's PAW or SNOUT resting on my knee! Lol.

Ellendi, bathrooms and powder rooms are perfect places for chocolate browns, IMO (I'm in the process now of convincing someone to go with it in their bathroom), however, of one thing I am absolutely positive: if you go with dark colors, you absolutely need windows/daylight, and not one of my bathrooms has a window in it, otherwise that is exactly what I would do to get my chocolate brown fix. I AM considering painting my MB bathroom vanity BM Vintage Charm, though, to get THAT fix and perhaps lay off the rest of you to get some in your homes! (Doubt it, though, so bear with me while I go through my Vintage Charm phase).

Anele, yes, that room really doesn't get used in the summer at all. If it does, it's used as a supplemental bedroom, in fact (It's darker, has a half bath, is quiet).

I also desperately have to reupholster that gold chair (it was my grandfather's, but not that fabric) but I can't afford to do so right now. But I could pick a good fabric.

No overhead lighting in this room, as you can see. Room was build in 1880 as a free-standing farm outbuilding. Farmhand resting/eating place, is my guess.

Thank you all so much for your opinions, help, and kind words.

o

kellie, agree re: the cooler browns. That would be a concern of mine, not so much re: the ceiling but more the warmer tones in the sofa and carpet. I don't worry so much about wood, since I believe its nature is such that everything goes with it. Heck, trees look just as beautiful in cold winter as they do in hot summer, right?

My broker, at my suggestion, used Midsummer Night in her kitchen, and she has warmer off-white cabinetry, a chocolate brown granite island, black matte counters, and warmer off-white trim, and it looks positively stunning.

Nosoccermom, my sofa:

o

nosoccermom, I'm with you on green. I loathe any green in paint colors, other than for exterior.

Blue definitely won't work in the LR. I've got Van Courtland blue in what I call the children's TV/game/chillin' room (for summer tenants" and in my kitchen, which I repainted after seeing the Van Courtland up on that children's TV room. Such a great color!

Sofa is an interesting fabric which has a lot of green in it but usually looks brown. Sofa pillows are an exact match to the green that is in the sofa. It's interesting, hard to explain.

Carpet is ivory with cranberry and olive green.

o

Thanks Awm, appreciate your cheerleading! These bold, dark colors really are high risk, high return…or disaster, aren't they?

Aargh.

Btw, nosoccermom, that children's room I've got the Van Courtland Blue in also has a pine ceiling, but it is a cathedral ceiling and it has cross beams, and that blue makes that pine absolutely glow. I couldn't' believe the effect once the paint was on the wall.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:29

o

Thank you, Kitchentime!

o

I was going to say no, no, no until I saw suero's photoshop....BUT...I would still like to see a little more color in the room....everything seems to be brown or beige.

o

Joanie, true. Only other real colors in the room are the cranberry in the rug, on that cabinet, a muted pink velvet chair, the green painting and my Prosperity Hens, which hang on the wall to the right of the FP.

28" long strand.

o

That would only work for me if I added a lot of edison's light. With the historic look, I think that would be pretty hard to do. The room is already gorgeous, so if I wanted to change it up, I'd go for a jewel tone color, but not dark brown as it would be too cave like. Maybe BM prussian blue or damask gold...deep but with life.

o

Like many others, my first thought was Noooo. Then suero showed us otherwise. What I wonder is this: is a photoshopped pic the same as real life? The photo includes all the reflected light. If the room is truly dark, will it suck up the light instead of reflecting? And if so, is that okay by you?

o

that's a really good point bp; dark colors absorb light. But maybe that is why the darker colors make the pine "glow" more? Hmmm….

Now, I look at, say, dining rooms that have white trim, moulding and windows but darker walls and then have the ceiling painted darker, and I think they're beautiful and create that ideal setting for a dining room, i.e.: cozy, warm conversation area to languish in with guests.

Could my pine ceiling have a similar effect since I do have all the trim, crown moulding, and windows? Of course, I don't have a chandelier for light to bounce off the ceiling….

I think it is interesting that trailrunner's painter recommended dark colors (which do indeed look incredible in her rooms, IMO) and a pro painter I was gabbing with the other day told me he prefers darker colors….

I'll also definitely consult my broker's painter, of course.

o

I wonder if the couch would fade into the brown walls. How about BM Phillipsburg Blue? That would flow nicely into that upstairs room. (Yes, kevinmp's DR color)

o

Just an example for discussion ... this is close to the color of my guest room ....

My dining room is currently painted in a very dark green tone (can't remember the exact name) -- and before that color -- it was painted in Laura Ashley Old Gold #5 -- a deep rich old gold ...

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Taupe 2110-10

o

teacats, that Taupe is definitely worth looking at. It's on a pink strip, though, so I'd have to see how much pink comes through. On the other hand, it does look a little warmer than the browns and taupes I've selected.

o

I was a naysayer also until I saw Suero's photoshop. I hope it turns out well for you. No color suggestions here, but I do have a fairly dark color on our bedroom walls with a lot of light from windows and a door with white trim and it is not at all cave-like.

o

bpathome nailed it -- the photoshop is deceiving because it shows the reflected light. Also, you might consider the time of day in an east facing room. I had a paneled family room with a wood ceiling that only had north and east facing windows... despite a ton of glazing, it was sooo dark (but, it was not beautiful like your finishes, and the ceiling was about three shades darker)

o

Thanks Gooster and Outsideplaying. I have to say that, were my ceiling white, I'd slap chocolate brown paint on those walls faster than any of us could inhale a chocolate truffle. Okay, well, not that fast, but you get what I'm saying.

It's the ceiling that has me hesitating. The windows and white trim are great, and perfect for a dark color on the walls…it's just that ceiling.

gooster, if this were a year-round LR, I wouldn't even consider this. As it is, this room really is used only in cold months.

o

Another dark brown shade for discussion ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Bittersweet Chocolate 2114-10

o

I'm wondering whether there may just be a lot of brown on the side with the sofa. You don't think a dark blue like SW Indigo Batik or BM Hale Navy would go with the sofa? I mean there is navy and olive green...

Or cranberry?

o

I've read all the posts and great suggestions but, in my opinion, the dark browns would deaden the room a bit. I think going in the direction of a taupe is a better idea. Attached are some great ideas. In my lakehouse all the ceilings and walls were Douglas fir aged for 110 years old. I kept it for 14 years and then decided I'm painting the walls. I did a warm gold and loved them for three years and then painted them smokey taupe and boom, the room looked "just right". I then painted all the woodwork a warm white and it's wonderful. I'm sure you'll make the right decision, that painting with a brush is tedious.

o

Tibbrix,

Beautiful room!

I think it would be helpful to treat your ceiling like a colour, and work from there. For example, this would be a close colour:

"Farrow & Ball India Yellow>

I think that clarifies that you will probably be somewhat limited in what colours will work on your walls.

You may want to choose a darker rug for a cozier feel. I think your wall colour looks pretty good, but Farrow and Ball Cream might look better with your ceiling and create a more cozy and enveloping feel. I would also be cautious about trim colour - make sure you don't choose an overly white white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cream

o

In the back of my head, I've been looking for an excuse to use Cabot Trail because I think it kinda looks like chocolate milk. Here's a pic from Houzz that shows Cabot Trail and the stair railings in front of the wall kinda, sorta remind me of the wood tones in your ceiling.

I don't know if I could do brown walls with a wood ceiling but if I were you I'd get a pint of the color you're leaning toward and paint as many poster boards as you can and prop them around the room, especially up near the ceiling, and look at them for a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabot Trail

o

sueb20, yes! Cabot Trail is among my top contenders although it's my least favorite on the chip because of the amount of pink in it. the chip is up on the wall right now. That, and the browns next to it, Rustic Taupe, Northwood brown, and the one down from that, North Creek Brown.

right now, those are my leading contenders.

On the lighter end, the top contenders are Valley Forge Tan, Ashen Tan, and Baja Dunes.

Ashen Tan and Baja Dunes are on that same strip with Cabot Trail, Northwoods Brown and North Creek Brown.

Needless to say, I love the colors on BM #118!

Yayagal. do you have a pic of your room with that taupe and the wood ceiling?

Nosoccermom, blues just aren't contenders for this room. There is a lot of olive green in the room. Also, I've got som many other blue rooms. And again, I prefer LRs and DRs be done in earth tones and use "color" in bedrooms, bathrooms, and laundry rooms, kitchens…

Feisty, all of the wood in the LR is BM White Dove, and it's staying that way! No way am I painting that wood trim again. I did all of the trim, all of the doors, even all of the windows, including grids. I nearly had to be put in an asylum when I got finished painting this house! Every inch of wood trim, every door, every wall except the children's bedroom, every painted ceiling except the kithen and MB I did myself. Had to hire a painter to do the cathedral ceilings in the MB and kitchen.

I still cringe at the thought of picking up a paintbrush. I don't know how pros do this day in and day out for years on end. Kudos to them.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 14:52

o

An inspiration board from Pinterest featuring pins with dark brown paint -- see the one featuring BM's Middlebury Brown HC-68 .... might be a good choice ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pin board deaturing dark brown paint

o

Another possible dark brown color for discussion ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Brown Horse #2108-30

o

Thanks Teacats. Yes, Middlebury Brown is a good one, as is its next-door neighbor, Clinton Brown (hc-68).

I think the bottom line is, it'll either be spectacular or a disaster.

I can't even do it until next fall, so when I get back after the summer rental season, I'll paint some paper and put it up and live with if for while.

Thanks everyone! So helpful. Whoever said, "Two heads are better than one" never visited GW, because multiple heads are even better than two!

o

I like the brown with a few conditions. I would use a medium brown instead of dark. I'd paint all the white trim cream, and I'd replace the sofa. White trim with brown is too stark, imo.

I like the jewel tone suggested above. I can tell you from old experience that the sofa area will turn into a black hole with dark brown paint behind it.

But I've always been in love with brownish walls with cream trim. Yum!

o

Appreciate the suggestions Oakley, but the sofa is brand new, is a Hickory Chair, so it cost a fortune, and the trim is staying as the whole house is done in White Dove, AND I don't want to paint trim ever again! White Dove, though, is a perfect trim color: white enough to be stark, but creamy enough to be soft.

o

Tib' I LOVE your room. It brings a smile to my face each time I see it. My first instinct was that dark brown would be depressing but Suero showed that it could work. I love BM Adams Gold but it is far lighter than a dark brown.

Each time I see your living room I think I have to curl up on your luscious sofa with a hot cup of coffee and a good book.

o

Tibbrix,

Thanks so much for posing this question. So many of us will be interested in whatever you decide to do eventually. As one who loves a cozy space, especially in magazines, I've tried several times to make them work in my home, only to repaint later, generally with a sigh of relief. So much depends on your climate, proximity and height of trees, ceiling height, window placement, and the orientation of the room. I live in NC where we have milder winters and long, hot summers, so as much as I love the idea of a cozy room during the colder months, once the trees leaf out and the humidity kicks in, that same space turns into a heavy duty downer. I even tried the red dining room once, and since it opens right into my north facing kitchen, it was just too oppressive. So I stick with medium tones when I want contrast and dream of a light filled home someday where I can indulge my desire for drama on the walls. Sounds like others have shared a similar dilemma, too!

o

Love your Prosperity Hens!

The good thing about home decor forums is that one can brainstorm questions/ideas/ problems with fellow posters but the bad thing is that one may be swayed from one's heart's desire by other peoples antipathy to an idea.

I believe (and often say) that life is too short not to go for what one really wants. Nothing in life is 100% and you may hate the dark walls BUT you also might adore them and be very happy you tried it. Only you know your situation and level of risk that you are comfortable with.

If you are sure you really want this I would encourage you to go with it. You may find you will have to increase the level of lighting and add more color in accessories to prevent the boredom of an all brown room. However, there is nothing wrong with a monochromatic scheme if that is what you like.

Your ceiling, floors, area rug, trim and abundance of windows will prevent the room from being too cave-like IMO.

o

Here's the other angle:

o

Well, I managed to accidentally post a separate thread of a lighter version of your room.

Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Or Lighter ...

o

I saw the other one too Magdalena.

Thank you so much for taking your time to do this. I so appreciate it, to Suero as well.

The pic above is getting close to what I'm imagining. Would it be too much to ask if you could do another in my beloved BM Midsummer Night (soooo dark, but Im soooo curious as to what it would look like) and maybe a lighter taupe, like Ashen Tan (also BM?

So appreciate all this input.

o

Tibbrix, I still think brown walls will look fine, especially because the light rugs will help with the room brightness. But something else that would help -- have you considered using semigloss or eggshell? Just enough sheen to bounce more light around.

o

Wow. I just put the pic of the "other angle" in its current color up on my monitor right next to magdalena's dark brown rendition, and while that brown isn't quite right (almost, though!), the brown room is stunning compared to the White Sand room I've got now.

I think if I can hit the right brown, it might just be the way to go!

Thank you again, Magdalena. Enormously helpful.

o

Awm, I would indeed probably splurge and use Aura Paint for this project to get the richness and luxuriousness Aura provides. I would also definitely go with eggshell. All my walls are eggshell. Trim is all semigloss.

o

Tib, there's no way for me to get the exact color but I can get pretty close.

Midsummer Night:

o

Ashen Tan:

o

Eek. WAY too much black, and probably too cool. AGain, thank you so much, Magdalena.

that first one is really close, don't you think? As I said, I put the two pics right next to each other, and I definitely like the brown better. It actually defines everything in that room MORE, IMO. Ironically, the stuff is more blended in in the White Sand room.

o

Tibbrix, I still think brown walls will look fine, especially because the light rugs will help with the room brightness. But something else that would help -- have you considered using semigloss or eggshell? Just enough sheen to bounce more light around.

o

Okay, I think I have it a little closer to the actual Midsummer Night. Still pretty cool.

o

Was that "eek" to the Midsummer Night? I like that the best because the sofa doesn't blend in but contrasts, and it's a very interesting (in a good way) brown.

o

The first one is actually closer to Midsummer Night, which is a very dark brown.

So that one's been nixed.

I hate to ask you this, but could you try a match for BM Branchport Brown? They pair that with colors that i think mimic what is in my LR.

That Ashen Tan is still bland (now that I've seen the room in brown, thanks to you!) but it's much better than the White Sand, so something like that Ashen Tan, if not that, would be my safety color if I chicken out of doing it in brown.

What program do you use? It's so cool that you can do that!

Awm, if I do this, I will definitely splurge and use Aura paint. I would do it in eggshell. All of my walls are done with eggshell paint, and my trim is all semi-gloss.

o

nsm, yes, my eek was to the very black one. I think it's the severe coolness of the color that doesn't work for me. But you're right, the sofa contrast with it better than the warmer brown.

o

Nix getting rid of the couch then. lol. I love the brown that Mag posted. If the sofa were to blend in, you can get a cute lap quilt with some color to it to lay on top of the sofa to break up the brown.

o

That's exactly what I thought too, Oakley. Thanks!

o

I'm liking that rich brown now! Can't wait to see what your room will look like.

o

Yeah, it's kind of cool, huh, zen4?

Do you have a preference so far, the warmer, first brown or the darker, cooler?

o

That Midsummer Night looks more gray/black than brown, that's for sure. How about something like French Press?

However, on some pictures it looks almost purple.....

I also like Middlebury Brown, depending on which picture I look at. Definitely nothing that's too greenish brown or pinkish/reddish brown.

Both of these are supposedly Middlebury Brown. Don't like the second one that much.

I just remember that many, many years ago I had a bedroom with pine furniture, hardwood floor, darker wood furniture, and a yummy chocolate brown wall color.

o

A yummy chocolate brown I found while messing around on the BM site is French Press. It seemed to have some light to it and pair well with green and blue as well as creamy white. I also would look at Alexandria Beige if you are looking for a lighter, more neutral color. Goes with almost anything.

o

The height of sophistication, Billy Baldwin's living room:

o

Yes, suero, that is just it…if you get the right brown (which is the tough part!), it can be a very sophisticated color. That is what I would be trying to achieve. However, I don't like the high-gloss wall thing.

I like BM Rural Earth and their Williamsburg Colors Tarpley Brown.

French Press is really pretty, but it seems to have a lot of pink in it.

o

BM Van Buren Brown?

o

I find that the BM colors directly from the BM web site are nothing like IRL.

o

nsm, finding that with ALL paints! Never know until they're up on the wall.

reading an article now about paint colors that go with pine wood. I'm liking this BM AC-33, mesa verde tan. A lot lighter than a dark brown, but it's rich and elegant. And look at the rug in that pic, VERY similar to my rug.

o

How about SW Naval

o

Oh, thanks for doing that, Annie! I'm definitely not going to put blue in there. I've got so much blue elsewhere, and I really prefer earth tones for living rooms, esp. this one.

I'm very curious to see that BM Mesa Verde Tan up there. Would it be too much to ask you to give it a shot?

o

Agree with the observations on paint, but BM seems especially extreme. All my yellows and whites show up as orange or peach.

I actually picked up SW naval and Indigo batik yesterday. Since Tibb refuses to paint her LR blue, I guess I need to bite the bullet.....

With respect to any color, I think it needs to provide some contrast with your gorgeous sofa, so either lighter or darker.

o

Tib, I'm using Photoshop.

Here is Branchport Brown:

o

And Mesa Verde:

o

I like the Mesa Verde just posted! It gives a bit more contrast than what you have, but is still light and airy.

I love dark rooms in magazines, but I usually don't like being in them as much as light rooms.

o

Yeah, I'm liking that Mesa Verde too, although it looks utterly and completely different in magdalena's mockup than it does elsewhere. I would prefer it be darker, and I think it is. So that one is definitely a contender.

The Branchport is too gray.

Surprise! I'm starting to see why so man saw blue in there. Again, I don't want "color" on those walls, but I do think a deep navy would actually look great, like BM Hale Navy, which someone suggested above and is a really nice navy.

o

magnaverde, what is the name of the color in the very first mockup you did, the warmer brown, NOT the Midsummer Night?

You are such a peach for doing these.

o

Actually, I think I'm doing a very good job of color matching.

Hale Navy:

o

The first brown wasn't based on a paint color. I pulled the color out of the ceiling beam.

o

Ah, wow, how do you do that??

that explains why, IMO, that first one is, so far, the best of the dark browns.

The navy looks great, very Colonial, which fits. However, I know I don't want blue in the room…at least not at this point. But it'll be in the back of my head because I get it now, and it does make all the gold in the room look fantastic.

o

By the fall, you may be ready for the Hale Navy :)

Magdalena, what program are you using?

o

Color preferences are so varied in these forums; I love it! It opens your eyes to other possibilities. But I just cannot get behind those dark browns--even if you had four large skylights, it would be too dark and the lovely furniture would blend into the backdrop. The blues bring out the same reaction as Tibbrix's to green; but that is just a personal preference thing. That photo of BM AC-33, mesa verde tan, on the other hand, could make me a believer! It enhances the white trim and richer browns, rather than fighting with them. In Magdalena's enhanced photo it looks so different though, but I still like it better than going dark brown.

Tibbrix, have I ever mentioned that I have the same frame as you used for your mirror? I painted a canvas to put inside mine; it plays the part of a window in our guest bathroom. Mine was purchased from a consignment shop, so I don't know if it is just a odd coincidence or if they are fairly common. Fun to see what it would looks with a mirror instead of a painting.

o

Gyr…I bought that mirror off of CL. I love it, and it gets a lot of comments and compliments. Goes really well in that room as well. How interesting to hear you have the same frame! Cool! I glued a little chickadee bird so that it's sitting no one of the shutters because the shutters make it look kind of bird-housy to me. Lol.

At this moment, I'm leaning heavily toward the Mesa Verde Tan. I think it's got enough depth and richness to do for the room what I'm hoping for. Don't know why it came out so light in Magdalena's mockup. I do have to look at it on the wall in all the light, because there is a pinkish tone in it that I wouldn't want coming out. But, it's supposed to go very well with pine/wood and gold, so it might be the one.

I'm starting to think that the dark brown could get oppressive at times. Mesa Verde seems like the perfect compromise. We'll see. Can't get around to doing it until next fall.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:08

o

Hahaha I so get the birdcage reference for the frame--I thought it did too. How fun that you added a chickadee.

It is a shame that you will have such a difficult time painting the room. That is a lot of brushwork. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

o

I agree...the Mesa Verde looks so much better than the darker browns. Not sure either why it looks so much different in the mock-up. In the other photo, it looks very similar to the Alexandria Beige (HC-77) I was talking about, so I went back to the BM website and was amazed at how similar they are, except HC-77 is a tiny bit more greyed. Take a look and see what you think. I could post a pic of our MBR but it never turns out exactly the same shade as I think it looks irl, especially from wall-to-wall.

o

Gyr,

Note that in the Billy Baldwin room, the leather chair is the same brown as the wall, but the chair frame is gold to set the chair off from the wall. It's those subtle touches that distinguish a master from ordinary mortals.

o

I'm certainly no master, but I believe the Billy Baldwin room works for a lot of reasons. The gold on the chair repeats with the bookcase, lamp, and other items in the room. and the white covered chair and sofa triangulates to the white above the leather chair. The ceiling and floor are light enough to not be oppressive, while the dark soffit (which I assume goes around the room) ties the dark color together throughout the room. There is a proper proportional balance between the different colors, depending upon the color's visual weight.

But I don't think the B.B. example could successfully carry over to Tibbrix's room because the sofa, chair, mirror frame and other furniture there do not have any contrasting elements to set them apart from the brown walls. While like on like-colored items can be effective, it only works that way IMO if you are striving for a textural/architecture relief look. Dark brown would be one of the more difficult relief subjects, because there is less light to bring out the shadowing and shapes. Tibbrix's ceiling, which is lovely, does seem to also put a holder what can successfully be used on the walls.

LOL Those of us who don't know what we are talking about certainly cannot be expected to explain it well, too!
Gyr

o

Gyr, I love dark brown, but I don't think dark colors work at all on large wall areas. That wold be my only gripe about the BB room (and the shine of the paint). To me, the reason dark paints work well is because they're great as accent paints, i.e.: around windows, other wood trim, on limited wall area.

I'm feeling pretty jazzed about the Mesa Verde Tan. I've painted the first coat on the poster paper (it does need two!) and it is really a gorgeous color.

o

Wow, you are already testing it? How are you going to wait until fall to slap it on the walls? :D

o

Simple. The project is so big, I've got too much to do this spring, then summer tenants arrive…I create a disaster for myself if I start it now.

MIght repaint my BR, though, now.

o

Just wanted to say I love the room as is and particularly the green painting.

o

This is a long thread and I confess I did not read past the first 10 or so comments.

The thing with the Photoshopped colors. They're added to a room that is already filled with the light influenced by the existing light wall color which is reflecting back into the room. Those dark colors are gonna suck the light up and not give it back.

I love the room as it is now.

o

Thanks Bumblebeez and linelle.

The green painting was a house-warming gift from my father, who loves green and had it hanging in his dining room. I love it, and basically told him that when he was 'Done with it" that I would like it. He gave it to me "early". It's got glints of gold in in it, so it looks like sunlight through trees or maybe bouncing off a pond in the woods…

However, children are so funny about it and don't' get it at all. Not enough of a "picture" for them.

I really loathe the color that is on the wall right now. It is so drab, too pink and peachy, etc.

Believe it or not, considering my prior comments, I'm now leaning toward a warm blue. After all, blue and very orange/gold pine and gold go so well together.

See the link below. I LOVE that! But, my trim is white. Ceiling and floors, though, are pine.

Not terribly worried about the light factor. The room gets good natural light during the day, if not direct sunlight, and it's a winter living room only, so warm and cozy is good.

Btw, I painting two large poster boards with the gorgeous color Mesa Verde Tan. It looked HORRIBLE. Once night fell, it looked like mud.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love this

o

Oh, yesssss!

What color do you think the trim might be? It looks cream but can't be that dark, unless they painted the grilles too.

o

Yeah, isn't it gorgeous, NSM??? Yum! I was looking at the trim earlier. I really wouldn't want to paint the trim. Ugh. I painted it all, including the windows and crown moulding, when I moved in here.

Do you think the White Dove is a problem? In the pic, they have a white ceiling, while I have a pine ceiling, so it's kind of opposite.

o

One thing you might consider: A lighter ceiling. I had (have) a room with a pine ceiling. We took thin strips of pine--super cheap--with widths like flooring--and rubbed them with white paint and then removed it again--sort of a pickled thing. Then, just popped them up one by one between the rafters, lightly stapled up. A narrow molding holds it all in place. You could have a light pine ceiling, and if you change out your room again, just remove it to get to the darker one.

o

Thanks, vedazu. That is an interesting idea, and I never would have thought of a facade for the ceiling. However, one thing I LOVE about this room is the ceiling, esp. its color. lightening it would modernize the room, which in this case wouldn't be a good idea. I do love the idea of a warm blue on the walls. I'm just concerned about the white trim barrier to the pine. Blue up against pine is stunning. And I'm not willing to repaint all the trim. Nearly killed me the first time I did it! Had to take all the trim off the windows, the windows out, put them back in, etc., etc., etc. This is a very hard room to paint; can't be rolled.

o

Tibbrix, glad you are taking time with this decision. And your ceiling should be the star of the room, no doubt about that. You will find the right balance and it will be gorgeous when you are finished. I do think the blue is a natural with your ceiling and the browns you already have in the room!

o

Thanks jjam. Did yo see the pic in my link and which nosoccermom then put up directly? Couple posts up. I just love that room! But the trim is dark. Mine is white. Not sure.

I'll definitely paint some panels next fall and hang them up for a while. I'm so hoping the blue will work. But then almost every room in my house will be blue! Lol.

o

In the picture, they also have white window trim. I don't see any problem with keeping your trim as is. Wouldn't it be the same with any kind of darker color?

Here's a picture

I also like it in Magdalena's photoshop picture.

o

nsm, they do? I don't see white trim in that pic. I see an amber trim Their ceiling, though, is white.

o

nsm, your pic didn't post.

o

Reposting the picture of the kitchen with blue wall, pine ceiling and white ceiling trim.

I meant the WINDOW trim in the original picture at 18:03. It looks cream/white.

Here's another picture of blue and pine. And white.

o

nsm, the window trim and grids in that office are the mustard/amber-whatever-it-is color.

The pic of the kitchen didn't come out again. Can you post it as a link? Very curious to see it. Thanks also for your encouragement here.

o

Where is KevinMP when you need him? He has the eye for this kind of thing.

Sigh.

o

Having a very similar room in my other house, I never would have thought the brown a good idea. After seeing the mock-ups that have been done, however, I'm really enjoying it! I'm very curious to see what you end up doing :)

o

Thanks Errant. I'm very curious too! Lol.

A hindrance to a dark color is that I don't have any overhead lighting. I do think that no color goes as well with golden pine as does a warm deep blue, so if I can pull it off, that's the way I'll likely go. If I had overhead lights, I'd probably give more consideration to a dark brown.

I'll have a "big reveal" next fall sometime! Lol. and it could be…the same color it is now! Ugh.

o

Btw, Errant, may I ask what color you have in that room that is similar?

o

You really think that the window trim is amber? It's not the same color as the ceiling molding, though.

Well, here's the link to that kitchen photo. Still strange that it doesn't show up.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with blue walls

o

I love Shelbourne Buff like Tibbrix loves Van Cortlandt Blue!! Btw, I did my son's room in it per your suggestion and it is lovely. Thanks!

o

The color is very similar to your BM White Sand, but I don't recall the brand and color name. The ceilings are the same pine T&G. I also have very little wall space, as there are windows on all of them. I was able to save the cork flooring that I found hiding under the carpet, which matches the colors in the ceiling perfectly. My windows are all old wooden double-hung, that had a clear finish that had long since yellowed. I refinished all of the windows and trim in an espresso color to bring out the dark browns in the ceiling and cork.

o

Thanks NSM. That pic is VERY helpful.

The Shelburne Buff is a Beautiful color. I think the autumn bronze, at the end of that strip, would be great on the trim with against the navy walls and pine ceiling.

Errant, I'm so jealous you had the sense to do your trim in a darker color for that room. I was thinking trim had to be constant throughout the house. Also, when I bought the house, the wood in the LR was an olive-y green and the walls were BM antique white (very drab) and it was gloomy, so I wanted white on the trim. Fortunately, the floors throughout the house are wide pine in the same burnt gold as the ceiling.

So, we'll see. I'll obviously do large swaths of different colors before making a decision next fall. You watch: I'll end up doing that dang trim too. Ugh.

Thanks for everyone's input, encouragement, compliments, care.

o

That blue with the pine dresser is BM Gentleman's Gray. Below a link to all the details of this den. Aaaah!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: blue den

o

The blue in that den isn't quit right. I put it next to the pic of that gorgeous library, and they're very different blues. However, BM Marine Blue looks very, very close to me.

o

Oh, yes, that BM Gentleman Gray is way different, more cobalt. The library looks like a slightly greenish blue.

o

Exactly, nsm. I was trying to figure out how to explain the difference. You nailed it.

Check out Marine Blue, though. Can never say for sure from photos…but it looks pretty dead on.

o

What a nice home Tib! I'm envious of your wood ceiling. I'm on my little cell trying to type with swollen hands from painting my place so don't envy you that part. What was the name of that paint,,,messa something? Loved that one!

o

Thank you, jterrilynn. I got very lucky when I found this house. Unfortunately, the people around here are very weird and unneighborly.

That color was BM Mesa Verde Tan. It is a beautiful, very earthy color. It would look GREAT, for example, on stucco. I painted two large pieces of sort-of poster board and put it up on the wall. However, it looked like mud at night.

I also just found a gorgeous blue, BM French Toile. Stunning. It's actually very, very similar to the SW Languid blue I"m about to use to paint my master bedroom. I'm tempted to put the French Toile up next to the Languid, but I already bought the untinted SW paint, when it was on sale last weekend. Check out the FM French Toile. Yummy.

Here you on the painting. when I bought the house, I painted every square inch, except the children's bunk room and the kitchen and master bedroom ceilings, because they were too high. Otherwise, where there is paint, I did it. I'm still burned out from it, and I can't believe I did it.

o

Btw, the hit count on one of the site where I have my house for potential renters has gone off the charts the past few days, ever since I put the pics up on this thread. I figure this has to be it, but how on earth would anyone be able to navigate from a pic here to that site? Anyone know? I didn't take the pics off the site but rather off my computer.

I'm stumped.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:22

o

Oh, jterrilynn, another thing about that mesa verde tan, it looks much, much better with a dark trim.

o

Well Tib the good news is that I have some feeling back in my middle toes on right leg today lol, don't know if that's the ladders fault or my deteriorating back hehehe something for you to look forward to (hope not).

I have never been a blue décor person but its growing on me. Due to the tile colors in one of the bathrooms I just painted a vanity SW Naval blue. I really like it.

I hope you post some pictures when you are done.

SW Naval Blue (sorry if this has been mentioned already).

photo navalbluesw_zps773c0c46.jpg

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 22:46

o
me again

Oh I see Annie has mentioned it. Sorry, just tired!

o

jterrilynn, I remember the ladder/back/feet/knee pain well!

Cool blues are THE color on the Cape, of course (northern water, beach, etc.). Very common to see blue shutters on weathered-shingled (gray) houses; blue bedrooms/kitchens/baths with the white wood slat venetian blinds, some beige and yellow for the sand and sun….gray blues, of course, for the fog…

Fortunately I happen to like the color scheme of my area!

I'll definitely post pics. I may well end up deciding to keep it light, but in a pearl-y tone, and get rid of this peach!

I hope your painting pays off and that you are happy with the result. Any pics for us?

I still also want to know how people are finding their way from the pics of my LR here to the Web site where I've got my house up for rentals. Another whopping hits this morning. HAS to be GW.

o

Here's a site that shows the mesa verde and then many other tannish browns, it's interesting to see them all on one page.

Here is a link that might be useful: paint

o

So, I picked up some blue chips at the local BM store. Hale Navy looked basically really dark charcoal, almost black. Still does in my house.

Marine Blue is definitely with some more green, but at least in my house still looks very dark.

Have you looked at Down Pour Blue or even Caribbean Azure (quite green)? Or Chicago Blues and New York State of Mind?

Or what about SW Rainstorm?

I also looked again at my BM Lucerne. Definitely not greenish in my bedroom, which is very dark, though.

Of course, the easiest (?) would be to take a laptop to the paint store and have them match the paint in the picture.

Love that French Toile, bu tit's definitely grayish.

o

yaya, the mesa verde tan reads much warmer, creamier and tan-er in real life . It is truly a beautiful color..jut not for my LR! I think it also needs dark wood trim to bounce off of, versus white. But who knows?

NSM, French Toile was never a contender. I just stumbled upon it and was wow'd by the color, so thought I'd present it here. It is so, so, so close to the SW Languid that I'm putting in my room, and I figured the $70 I'd save by sticking with Sw rather than going with BM is worth it, since they are so, so similar. However, a friend is having her kitchen reno'd over the summer, and I'm going to recommend the French Toile to her.

I've looked at all of those others you mention. I'll definitely take my laptop into the store next fall. This is a color that has to be gotten exactly right the first time!

That Lucerne is simply stunning. BM gets blues right, IMO. I may well try a chip against my wall of the Lucerne.

o

What about NY State of Mind?

On my chip it doesn't look as bright blue.

o

NSM! I can't believe you just posted that! I found that color this morning and am thinking it might be "the one"!

Wow.

So funny.

You've been so fun with this. Thank you!

Indeed, that house with that office is in New York. Makes you wonder…

o

I also saw a room in Mozart Blue on Houzz today, but I can't figure out what it really looks like.

Brought NY State of Mind home two days ago. Also was looking at Chicago Blues on the same strip. I think it'll depend a lot on the light in your room.

o

Tibbrix. I remember looking at your rental site a while back and while it took a lot of searching to find it (i thought it had to do with a bedroom) I tracked it down to a thread you posted on about pictures of living rooms about a month ago. Then you posted a picture of the kid's room along with your listing number. It was not a direct clickable link, but it was a link. Hope that helps.

o

Thanks Daki. I had thought of that, but I figured that thread would be so far back and who'd remember it anyway! Maybe that's it, then.

nosoccermom, Patricia43 suggested California Blue (and Symphony).

Cripes. I see a fortune in samples coming my way!

o

In one of my rooms I have Hush walls with Hale Navy on the chair rail. The Hail Navy is very dark.

To answer your question about the brown (sorry for the delay), it was the one posted under "the other angle." But I do like the blue family more.

o

zen, I've pretty much moved away from brown. At night it would be just too dark, I think.

I'm liking BM's New York State of Mind. I think a blue the color of an autumn sky would work well, what with all the pine and gold I've got going on in the room. Fortunately, the sconces, which are on a dimmer, can provide very bright light if needed.

However, because this room is so difficult to paint…and I'm going to have to prime it as well because the paint chips off these walls so easily - I want to make sure of the color this time. So I'll paint a LOT of poster boards, put them up, and live with them for a while before making a decision. The white trim has me a little spooked, and I really, really don't' want to have to reapaint the trim, but I" not sure it won't disrupt the blue/pine connection.

o

I think that's a lovely choice.

Here's a link with some pictures and a top 8 list of blue paints favored by this designer. I didn't read all the posts so am not sure if someone already posted this. If not, hope it helps. Good luck and, please post pics when you are done! You have beautiful taste!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa Mende Design:

o

Thank you, Zen! I actualy found that design blog and put it in my favorites the other day. FYI: Most of my house is Craigslist and hand-me-downs! Lol.

I'll definitely post pics of the finished product. But, be forewarned, I could chicken out on the bold color and go with another neutral, but one nicer than the White Sand that is there now!

Thinking about the fall when I've got so much work to do! Definition of "procrastination"!

o

You've done wonders with Craigslist. Such a pretty house you have there.

As for going neutral: Ahhhh, you cannot settle like I tend to do. Go for it, you have what it takes!

o

Thank you again, Zen. Found a great, free site where you can try SW colors on a photo you upload, colorjive.com. It's very easy to use too. I did the room in blue, and far as I can tell, the white trim really wrecks it. I tried a dark brown for the trim, and it made a huge difference.

Sigh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here