Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tibbrix

Dark LR Advice

tibbrix
9 years ago

As many of you know by now, I love chocolate brown. Right now, I've got BM White Sand on my LR walls, and I do not like it. The LR is a winter living room, Colonial in style, and the porch becomes the LR in warm weather.

I want to paint the LR a brown. The trim and doors are BM White Dove. LR is east facing, so it doesn't get any direct sunlight, and is much lighter first thing in the morning than the rest of the day.

No wall has a lot of wall space due to the windows, wood trim, fireplace, paintings, mirror, etc., which is the only reason I dare try a dark brown.

My worry, though, is the low pine ceiling. I want the room to be cozy, a great place to curl up by a fire with a book or to watch TV during a snowstorm/cold winter nights (and days), but will the pine ceiling cause a dark color to transcend cozy and move into cave-y or creepy?

I can't find any pics of low pine ceilings in rooms with dark walls.

What do you all think? I'll post two pics of the LR.

Comments (145)

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gyr, I love dark brown, but I don't think dark colors work at all on large wall areas. That wold be my only gripe about the BB room (and the shine of the paint). To me, the reason dark paints work well is because they're great as accent paints, i.e.: around windows, other wood trim, on limited wall area.

I'm feeling pretty jazzed about the Mesa Verde Tan. I've painted the first coat on the poster paper (it does need two!) and it is really a gorgeous color.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Wow, you are already testing it? How are you going to wait until fall to slap it on the walls? :D

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Simple. The project is so big, I've got too much to do this spring, then summer tenants arriveâ¦I create a disaster for myself if I start it now.

MIght repaint my BR, though, now.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Just wanted to say I love the room as is and particularly the green painting.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

This is a long thread and I confess I did not read past the first 10 or so comments.

The thing with the Photoshopped colors. They're added to a room that is already filled with the light influenced by the existing light wall color which is reflecting back into the room. Those dark colors are gonna suck the light up and not give it back.

I love the room as it is now.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bumblebeez and linelle.

The green painting was a house-warming gift from my father, who loves green and had it hanging in his dining room. I love it, and basically told him that when he was 'Done with it" that I would like it. He gave it to me "early". It's got glints of gold in in it, so it looks like sunlight through trees or maybe bouncing off a pond in the woodsâ¦

However, children are so funny about it and don't' get it at all. Not enough of a "picture" for them.

I really loathe the color that is on the wall right now. It is so drab, too pink and peachy, etc.

Believe it or not, considering my prior comments, I'm now leaning toward a warm blue. After all, blue and very orange/gold pine and gold go so well together.

See the link below. I LOVE that! But, my trim is white. Ceiling and floors, though, are pine.

Not terribly worried about the light factor. The room gets good natural light during the day, if not direct sunlight, and it's a winter living room only, so warm and cozy is good.

Btw, I painting two large poster boards with the gorgeous color Mesa Verde Tan. It looked HORRIBLE. Once night fell, it looked like mud.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Love this[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/crisp-architects-traditional-home-office-new-york-phvw-vp~193110)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oh, yesssss!

[Farmhouse Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2114) by Millbrook Architects & Designers Crisp Architects

What color do you think the trim might be? It looks cream but can't be that dark, unless they painted the grilles too.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, isn't it gorgeous, NSM??? Yum! I was looking at the trim earlier. I really wouldn't want to paint the trim. Ugh. I painted it all, including the windows and crown moulding, when I moved in here.

Do you think the White Dove is a problem? In the pic, they have a white ceiling, while I have a pine ceiling, so it's kind of opposite.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

One thing you might consider: A lighter ceiling. I had (have) a room with a pine ceiling. We took thin strips of pine--super cheap--with widths like flooring--and rubbed them with white paint and then removed it again--sort of a pickled thing. Then, just popped them up one by one between the rafters, lightly stapled up. A narrow molding holds it all in place. You could have a light pine ceiling, and if you change out your room again, just remove it to get to the darker one.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, vedazu. That is an interesting idea, and I never would have thought of a facade for the ceiling. However, one thing I LOVE about this room is the ceiling, esp. its color. lightening it would modernize the room, which in this case wouldn't be a good idea. I do love the idea of a warm blue on the walls. I'm just concerned about the white trim barrier to the pine. Blue up against pine is stunning. And I'm not willing to repaint all the trim. Nearly killed me the first time I did it! Had to take all the trim off the windows, the windows out, put them back in, etc., etc., etc. This is a very hard room to paint; can't be rolled.

• jjam
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, glad you are taking time with this decision. And your ceiling should be the star of the room, no doubt about that. You will find the right balance and it will be gorgeous when you are finished. I do think the blue is a natural with your ceiling and the browns you already have in the room!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jjam. Did yo see the pic in my link and which nosoccermom then put up directly? Couple posts up. I just love that room! But the trim is dark. Mine is white. Not sure.

I'll definitely paint some panels next fall and hang them up for a while. I'm so hoping the blue will work. But then almost every room in my house will be blue! Lol.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

In the picture, they also have white window trim. I don't see any problem with keeping your trim as is. Wouldn't it be the same with any kind of darker color?

Here's a picture
    {{!gwi}}

I also like it in Magdalena's photoshop picture.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nsm, they do? I don't see white trim in that pic. I see an amber trim Their ceiling, though, is white.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nsm, your pic didn't post.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Reposting the picture of the kitchen with blue wall, pine ceiling and white ceiling trim.

{{!gwi}}

I meant the WINDOW trim in the original picture at 18:03. It looks cream/white.

Here's another picture of blue and pine. And white.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nsm, the window trim and grids in that office are the mustard/amber-whatever-it-is color.

The pic of the kitchen didn't come out again. Can you post it as a link? Very curious to see it. Thanks also for your encouragement here.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where is KevinMP when you need him? He has the eye for this kind of thing.

Sigh.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Having a very similar room in my other house, I never would have thought the brown a good idea. After seeing the mock-ups that have been done, however, I'm really enjoying it! I'm very curious to see what you end up doing :)

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Errant. I'm very curious too! Lol.

A hindrance to a dark color is that I don't have any overhead lighting. I do think that no color goes as well with golden pine as does a warm deep blue, so if I can pull it off, that's the way I'll likely go. If I had overhead lights, I'd probably give more consideration to a dark brown.

I'll have a "big reveal" next fall sometime! Lol. and it could beâ¦the same color it is now! Ugh.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Btw, Errant, may I ask what color you have in that room that is similar?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You really think that the window trim is amber? It's not the same color as the ceiling molding, though.

Well, here's the link to that kitchen photo. Still strange that it doesn't show up.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with blue walls

• tfitz1006
    9 years ago

I love Shelbourne Buff like Tibbrix loves Van Cortlandt Blue!! Btw, I did my son's room in it per your suggestion and it is lovely. Thanks!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The color is very similar to your BM White Sand, but I don't recall the brand and color name. The ceilings are the same pine T&G. I also have very little wall space, as there are windows on all of them. I was able to save the cork flooring that I found hiding under the carpet, which matches the colors in the ceiling perfectly. My windows are all old wooden double-hung, that had a clear finish that had long since yellowed. I refinished all of the windows and trim in an espresso color to bring out the dark browns in the ceiling and cork.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks NSM. That pic is VERY helpful.

The Shelburne Buff is a Beautiful color. I think the autumn bronze, at the end of that strip, would be great on the trim with against the navy walls and pine ceiling.

Errant, I'm so jealous you had the sense to do your trim in a darker color for that room. I was thinking trim had to be constant throughout the house. Also, when I bought the house, the wood in the LR was an olive-y green and the walls were BM antique white (very drab) and it was gloomy, so I wanted white on the trim. Fortunately, the floors throughout the house are wide pine in the same burnt gold as the ceiling.

So, we'll see. I'll obviously do large swaths of different colors before making a decision next fall. You watch: I'll end up doing that dang trim too. Ugh.

Thanks for everyone's input, encouragement, compliments, care.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

That blue with the pine dresser is BM Gentleman's Gray. Below a link to all the details of this den. Aaaah!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: blue den

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The blue in that den isn't quit right. I put it next to the pic of that gorgeous library, and they're very different blues. However, BM Marine Blue looks very, very close to me.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oh, yes, that BM Gentleman Gray is way different, more cobalt. The library looks like a slightly greenish blue.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exactly, nsm. I was trying to figure out how to explain the difference. You nailed it.

Check out Marine Blue, though. Can never say for sure from photosâ¦but it looks pretty dead on.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

What a nice home Tib! I'm envious of your wood ceiling. I'm on my little cell trying to type with swollen hands from painting my place so don't envy you that part. What was the name of that paint,,,messa something? Loved that one!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, jterrilynn. I got very lucky when I found this house. Unfortunately, the people around here are very weird and unneighborly.

That color was BM Mesa Verde Tan. It is a beautiful, very earthy color. It would look GREAT, for example, on stucco. I painted two large pieces of sort-of poster board and put it up on the wall. However, it looked like mud at night.

I also just found a gorgeous blue, BM French Toile. Stunning. It's actually very, very similar to the SW Languid blue I"m about to use to paint my master bedroom. I'm tempted to put the French Toile up next to the Languid, but I already bought the untinted SW paint, when it was on sale last weekend. Check out the FM French Toile. Yummy.

Here you on the painting. when I bought the house, I painted every square inch, except the children's bunk room and the kitchen and master bedroom ceilings, because they were too high. Otherwise, where there is paint, I did it. I'm still burned out from it, and I can't believe I did it.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Btw, the hit count on one of the site where I have my house for potential renters has gone off the charts the past few days, ever since I put the pics up on this thread. I figure this has to be it, but how on earth would anyone be able to navigate from a pic here to that site? Anyone know? I didn't take the pics off the site but rather off my computer.

I'm stumped.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:22

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, jterrilynn, another thing about that mesa verde tan, it looks much, much better with a dark trim.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Well Tib the good news is that I have some feeling back in my middle toes on right leg today lol, don't know if that's the ladders fault or my deteriorating back hehehe something for you to look forward to (hope not).

I have never been a blue décor person but its growing on me. Due to the tile colors in one of the bathrooms I just painted a vanity SW Naval blue. I really like it.

I hope you post some pictures when you are done.

SW Naval Blue (sorry if this has been mentioned already).

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 22:46

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Oh I see Annie has mentioned it. Sorry, just tired!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jterrilynn, I remember the ladder/back/feet/knee pain well!

Cool blues are THE color on the Cape, of course (northern water, beach, etc.). Very common to see blue shutters on weathered-shingled (gray) houses; blue bedrooms/kitchens/baths with the white wood slat venetian blinds, some beige and yellow for the sand and sunâ¦.gray blues, of course, for the fogâ¦

Fortunately I happen to like the color scheme of my area!

I'll definitely post pics. I may well end up deciding to keep it light, but in a pearl-y tone, and get rid of this peach!

I hope your painting pays off and that you are happy with the result. Any pics for us?

I still also want to know how people are finding their way from the pics of my LR here to the Web site where I've got my house up for rentals. Another whopping hits this morning. HAS to be GW.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Here's a site that shows the mesa verde and then many other tannish browns, it's interesting to see them all on one page.

Here is a link that might be useful: [paint[(https://www.houzz.com/products/mesa-verde-tan-ac-33-benjamin-moore-prvw-vr~359042)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

So, I picked up some blue chips at the local BM store. Hale Navy looked basically really dark charcoal, almost black. Still does in my house.

Marine Blue is definitely with some more green, but at least in my house still looks very dark.

Have you looked at Down Pour Blue or even Caribbean Azure (quite green)? Or Chicago Blues and New York State of Mind?

Or what about SW Rainstorm?

I also looked again at my BM Lucerne. Definitely not greenish in my bedroom, which is very dark, though.

Of course, the easiest (?) would be to take a laptop to the paint store and have them match the paint in the picture.

Love that French Toile, bu tit's definitely grayish.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yaya, the mesa verde tan reads much warmer, creamier and tan-er in real life . It is truly a beautiful color..jut not for my LR! I think it also needs dark wood trim to bounce off of, versus white. But who knows?

NSM, French Toile was never a contender. I just stumbled upon it and was wow'd by the color, so thought I'd present it here. It is so, so, so close to the SW Languid that I'm putting in my room, and I figured the $70 I'd save by sticking with Sw rather than going with BM is worth it, since they are so, so similar. However, a friend is having her kitchen reno'd over the summer, and I'm going to recommend the French Toile to her.

I've looked at all of those others you mention. I'll definitely take my laptop into the store next fall. This is a color that has to be gotten exactly right the first time!

That Lucerne is simply stunning. BM gets blues right, IMO. I may well try a chip against my wall of the Lucerne.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about NY State of Mind?
    {{!gwi}}

On my chip it doesn't look as bright blue.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NSM! I can't believe you just posted that! I found that color this morning and am thinking it might be "the one"!

Wow.

So funny.

You've been so fun with this. Thank you!

Indeed, that house with that office is in New York. Makes you wonderâ¦

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I also saw a room in Mozart Blue on Houzz today, but I can't figure out what it really looks like.

Brought NY State of Mind home two days ago. Also was looking at Chicago Blues on the same strip. I think it'll depend a lot on the light in your room.

• daki
    9 years ago

Tibbrix. I remember looking at your rental site a while back and while it took a lot of searching to find it (i thought it had to do with a bedroom) I tracked it down to a thread you posted on about pictures of living rooms about a month ago. Then you posted a picture of the kid's room along with your listing number. It was not a direct clickable link, but it was a link. Hope that helps.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Daki. I had thought of that, but I figured that thread would be so far back and who'd remember it anyway! Maybe that's it, then.

nosoccermom, Patricia43 suggested California Blue (and Symphony).

Cripes. I see a fortune in samples coming my way!

• zen4d
    9 years ago

In one of my rooms I have Hush walls with Hale Navy on the chair rail. The Hail Navy is very dark.

To answer your question about the brown (sorry for the delay), it was the one posted under "the other angle." But I do like the blue family more.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

zen, I've pretty much moved away from brown. At night it would be just too dark, I think.

I'm liking BM's New York State of Mind. I think a blue the color of an autumn sky would work well, what with all the pine and gold I've got going on in the room. Fortunately, the sconces, which are on a dimmer, can provide very bright light if needed.

However, because this room is so difficult to paintâ¦and I'm going to have to prime it as well because the paint chips off these walls so easily - I want to make sure of the color this time. So I'll paint a LOT of poster boards, put them up, and live with them for a while before making a decision. The white trim has me a little spooked, and I really, really don't' want to have to reapaint the trim, but I" not sure it won't disrupt the blue/pine connection.

• zen4d
    9 years ago

I think that's a lovely choice.

Here's a link with some pictures and a top 8 list of blue paints favored by this designer. I didn't read all the posts so am not sure if someone already posted this. If not, hope it helps. Good luck and, please post pics when you are done! You have beautiful taste!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa Mende Design:

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Zen! I actualy found that design blog and put it in my favorites the other day. FYI: Most of my house is Craigslist and hand-me-downs! Lol.

I'll definitely post pics of the finished product. But, be forewarned, I could chicken out on the bold color and go with another neutral, but one nicer than the White Sand that is there now!

Thinking about the fall when I've got so much work to do! Definition of "procrastination"!

• zen4d
    9 years ago

You've done wonders with Craigslist. Such a pretty house you have there.

As for going neutral: Ahhhh, you cannot settle like I tend to do. Go for it, you have what it takes!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again, Zen. Found a great, free site where you can try SW colors on a photo you upload, colorjive.com. It's very easy to use too. I did the room in blue, and far as I can tell, the white trim really wrecks it. I tried a dark brown for the trim, and it made a huge difference.

Sigh.