Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leennp

Need help with Blue for Master Bedroom

leennp
9 years ago

10 years ago we painted our master bedroom a ralph lauren suede paint color that was a beautiful deep blue color, not as dark as navy, no purple or green undertone. The suede texture was a disaster, so ended up forgetting about that and just painting regularly with the color. Fast forward to now and trying to pick a master bedroom paint color and I am stuck. This color is discontinued and I can't seem to find the right shade of blue. What something deep and rich with depth, but not so dark it looks flat. If I can't find the right shade I will probably opt to find a pretty silvery color. The hallway leading to the bedroom is revere pewter, master bath is stonnington grey, but color does not have to be a BM color. Any suggestions?

Comments (29)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm about to paint my bedroom Sherwin Williams Languid Blue. It's a very serene, gray blue with some depth. Goes terrifically with browns. The OP with the next thread down (at this writing), "Once again, with feeling, help with colors - Library" is using it in her dining room and the deeper SW Smokey Blue on her cabinets. She's got the swatches on the thread.

Here is Languid Blue, under the butterflies. Maybe you're looking for something with a yellow base and deeper, though?

• peaches12345
    9 years ago

I was just wondering why the RL suede texture was a disaster for you. I do know you have to have a painter who knows what he's doing with it. When we had ours done the first painter didn't have a clue what he was doing when he put the texture coat on. It looked like just plain paint. We immediately had another more experienced painter come in just to re-texture it and it is perfect. Looks like suede and we still get compliments years later. It is in a downstairs guest room right off the foyer so it is seen and admired all the time..

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

What was the color of KevinMP's dining room? I think that would look lovely in a bedroom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

KevinMP's dining room:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Maybe BM Van Deusen Blue? (KevinMP's DR)

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

That's actually really similar to the Languid Blue that you are going to use Tib. Both are beautiful colors. I just love blue for a bedroom.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The suede paint was probably a disaster made by my husband. He became overly frustrated with what I had picked and gave up, it was best to just leave it be! The color was beautiful on it's own without the texture. The languid blue above is too light for what I was looking for, dining room looks a little darker but still not quite right, trim is BM decorator white in that room

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Leennp, do you want a gray-based blue like the Languid or a yellow-based like navy? That will help.

kellie, I was thrilled when I stumbled on Languid; it was exactly what I'd been envisioning for three years. Can't wait 'til it's up. And the BM "Van" blues are all so beautiful.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Leennp, something like this?

• peaches12345
    9 years ago

Kevin uses the Pratt and Lambert Williamsburg Collection as far as I know. I asked the name of his dining room blue and now I can't remember what he told me. I hope he answers again here.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Have you looked at BM Mysterious? BM Stunning is similar to the Van Duesen but without the green. I have something not too far from Stunning (or at least what it looks like on my monitor) in my dining room.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mysterious is a little too charcoal, had tried a sample of kendall charcoal on the wall and that did not do it for me. But just look up Stunning, that I really like. That is very close to color I am describing.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Benj. Moore Hale Navy?

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

Leennp, I am in the process of redoing a guest room and have painted the walls SW Smokey Blue. I'll share a couple of photos. I'm not finished yet but boy do I love the color! As you know everyone's monitor will show color a bit differently. Smokey Blue definitely doesn't read green. I believe it has a gray base. Here is one picture and I'll post another one below.

PS - ignore Annie the wonder dog :)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

Here is one more of SW Smokey Blue. Room in progress.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why aren't you going with Stunning? Stunning is very purple. You okay with that?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We tried both Mysterious (too dark) and Hale Navy (still may use it in our dining room, we have to wait on arrival of our new sofa and chair in the LR before we decide). We ended up with Valspar Iron Frost in the MBR and love it (although had I seen it, I would have given that Languid Blue a try too).

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Hale navy came to my mind, too.

• Mayaa
    9 years ago

It will be vary good option if you use light blue color for walls and off white color for roof paint as these both have positive inter effect with each other and together they bring beauty and comfy .... enjoy

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We have one wall in our bedroom in RHs Dusk.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore Blue 2066-10

(yes, it is called just "Blue")

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Another pic of BM Blue, 2066-10

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    9 years ago

BM Newburyport Blue -- we have an accent wall in our MBR this color. Other walls are BM Stone Harbor (a lovely gray).

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Newburyport Blue

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have BM Lucerne in a bedroom. It reads more like on this picture, not like the teal on the BM web site.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

According to the post with pictures of his droolworthy house (linked below), he used Pratt & Lambert Wythe House Gray in the dining room. BM Philipsburg in the living room.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Kevin's reveal

• KevinMP
    9 years ago

Yes, the dining room is Pratt & Lambert Wythe House Gray (Historic Williamsburg color). Since Williamsburg now licenses to Benjamin Moore instead of Pratt & Lambert, some names/colors have changed slightly. So it looks like it's Brush Blue (CW-675), but it's hard to tell. The fact that they changed the names is a pain in the neck. Obviously the colors will be slightly different because they're different brands, but come on.

That link to my house shows how much more I've done since then. Hard to believe. Even that's not up to date.

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

We just finished remodeling (almost) our new house. I painted the master BR Farrow and Ball's Black Blue color matched at Sherwin Williams. I love it. It is so deep and dark tfat it generally throughs people off when they come in, but I loved when the first sample went up and love it more each day. I also painted DS1's bedroom F & B's Railings color matched by Sherwin Williams. This is not the color I anticipated it being, but I still really like the color. It too is a very deep blue. At least, the SW match is. I was expecting more of a charcoal/black from images on the computer. The railings is also the only F&B color that I didn't have a sample of, so I am not even certain it was matched correctly. However, I ended up liking the color so didn't worry with investigating it further. Also, all of the other colors that I had their samples for were matched correctly by SW. I will try to take pictures this evening when I get home.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well just to update everyone in the end, went and had two gallons of Van Dueson blue made up, took out to the house and walked in the master bedroom that look so inch and light with all the white primed sheet rock and asked myself what was I doing turning the light and bright room so much darker? Especially after walking past my son's newly painted room in Kendall Charcoal and thinking how dark it looked in there. Soo, my husband looked at me and said I need to paint this like now, make a decision, so I took the paint I had for the master bath, SW Tinsmith, put some up on the wall and thought ok, that looks fine,so went from deep rich blue in my mind to a light and much brighter grey! Really happy I changed my mind at last minutes, two gallons of paint just sitting there now, but better than having to repaint tomorrow!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

That's funny, but it looks like a lovely color. So glad that the last minute decision (under pressure) was the right choice!