Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

How Can I Replicate This? Or Find it Cheaper?

arbpdl
11 years ago

I've been pining after a "faux candle" chandelier ever since I first saw the Harry Potter movie way way back when.

I really like Pottery Barn's Veranda but it doesn't fit my budget. Even more I like some of the Restoration Hardware versions. Those are even higher.

Home Depot has a knock off that's nice but still more than I can afford.

I keep thinking there's got to be a way to simply get those shades, or create some from glass cylinders, and use with any old chandelier. After all, it's the shades that make it look like candles, not the fixture itself.

I've searched and searched, but no one has those kind of shades. I did find genuin PB replacement ones on ebay but they are $25 each and the chandelier I have in mind using has 5 arms, that's still $125 and if I'm going to spend that, I'd rather save and just get the real thing.

Anyone know of a cheaper knock off? Or a place to buy those kind of glass shades?

If someone is selling one on craigslist where you are, I'd gladly pay for you to ship it to me!! I've been watching my CL like a hawk but the closest one isn't really close enough to what I want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn's Veranda

This post was edited by beth0301 on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 20:32

Comments (13)

• User
    11 years ago

My first thought was starting with a bicycle wheel spokes removed they use small chain to hang it. Not sure if you could solder canning rings to it then spray paint the whole thing. Searched for a pic but this is as close as I could find but you can get the idea this one looks like it is made of wood

Here is a link that might be useful: Candle Chandelier DIY

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Here is a source for the glass covers for $5 each... they are short, but maybe search the site for larger ones if you want those.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frosted Glass Covers

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bless you! I think those just might work. I've been trying and trying to find some .... guess I just never hit upon the right site.

I have a chandalier that I think would look great as a "candle"ier but I want it to be electric, not with actual candles. I can retro fit the cups to be larger to hold them if need be, I just want them to look like candles.

I'm going to order one and see what it would take to make it work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugh, $12 shipping for one! I think I'll make one out of paper that's the same size as that one and try it out first, then if that fits, I'll order. I really can't see paying $17 to find out it doesn't fit.

I found some that are wax shells and look way cooler than the glass, but I worry about melting. How hot do LED bulbs get? I was going to get some for it.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found these but they are $25 each, meaning $125 total plus shipping, not much of a savings over just buying the actual fixture .... though these are very cool looking with the melty tops

Here is a link that might be useful: candle bulb covers

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I don't think there is ANY heat from LED. I wonder if you could buy cheap pillar candles from the $ store and figure out how to hollow them out with an old curling iron or something?

• teeda
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Overstock? They have a few different "candeliers". Here's one for $158. There's also a rectangular version. If you join their "club" you get free shipping and earn points with every purchase. I've ordered from them many times and have always been satisfied.

Here is a link that might be useful: candelier

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Or there's this one...

Here is a link that might be useful: knock off candleier

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like one at overstock but it's "out of stock" and they don't really expect it to come back. The ones they have now aren't quite right.

I found this one on local craigslist but it's not quite right either ... a little too modern. I could probably doctor it up a bit and make it work but spending 150 on something I have to redo seems silly.

I'm still on the hunt!

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist One

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Beth, this one may not quite fit the budget either, but it's on eBay and by far the best price on one there at $175 starting bid, or Buy It Now for $200.

It's especially well priced when I see another seller is selling the replacement shades at $26.24 each, and that is at 25% off!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mouse over image to zoom Have one to sell? Sell it yourself POTTERY BARN VERANDA ROUND CHANDELIER

• teeda
    11 years ago

Here's a source for "hollow wax luminaries". Maybe something like this could work with an old chandelier?

Here is a link that might be useful: hollow wax luminaries

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

If you use hollow threaded rod, available at any hardware store, you can screw a socket to it and run the wire through it. Look up how to wire a lamp and it will explain what I'm saying. You can run the wires behind the "wheel" to each socket. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well but think of each "lamp" as an individual unit with a round base (flower pot saucers would work) and run enough wire to tie them together. It's very do-able just not easily explainable!

• KMBC
    11 years ago

Lowe's has several of them.. A 4-light fixture by Allen & Roth is $149. An 8-light version by Bel Air is $209.00 They also have a two-tier one for $299.00 and a rectangular version.