Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zpol88

Master bathroom colors

zpol88
9 years ago

Hello! I could really use some advice about my master bathroom and which colors to use for paint and cabinets. I am going for a modern feel in my master bedroom, which has gray walls, white trim and doors, boxy black furniture, dark wood floors, and a modern crystal chandelier. It really works, but the bathroom is a problem.
The problem is that I chose the same gray paint in the master bathroom because I did not know what else to do. However, the bathroom has tan tiles and bisque/tan toilet, vanity top, and shower. I am on a tight budget, so I cannot buy a white toilet or shower, so I need to work with the tan color. I feel like there is nothing modern about the bisque and tan colors in the bathroom, and they clash with the gray walls.

I want to paint my cabinets but white won't work with a tan counter top, black cabinets wouldn't look quite right either. I do have left over rustoleum cabinet paint in espresso color so that is an option. However, that would not match the black furniture in my bedroom. Should I just make the bathroom look completely disconnected and different stylistically? Or is there a way to tie in the colors and style?

My only solution I have thought of is to paint the bathroom a grayish blue so that the gray tones match the bathroom. Then, the espresso painted cabinets and tan tiles with bisque toilet/shower will work with blue walls.

I would love to hear any advice or solutions. Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• zpol88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of my master bathroom. The picture of the bathroom is old so imagine that the walls are now gray and the towel bar is silver. That color of wood still remains on the cabinets, mirror frame, and light fixture.

• zpol88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is my master, to give you an idea of the colors and style. Thank you!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint the cabs and towel holder espresso brown and the walls SW Languid Blue, which goes beautifully with dark brown and looks beautiful in darker rooms, i.e.: no windows.

• teacats
    9 years ago

White does work well with tan -- imagine a person wearing khaki or tan pants with a crisp white shirt!

So .... I would paint the woodwork to fresh white to match with the pretty trim in your bedroom.

And then paint the walls in the same fresh white -- clean, simple, fresh -- add a few black accents around the room too .....

Very pretty master bedroom! :)

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

I do think that it would be good to have some black in the bathroom. I don't mean to paint the walls black!

On the other hand, I don't think that painting the cabinet black, even with a tan counter, is out of the question. If I didn't do that, I might paint the cabinet bright white and then use black accents.

Or what about a deep red for the cabinet, garnet, again with the black accents? Red and tan work well enough together, and so do red and black.

• zpol88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love each suggestion, they are out of the box! I need time to visualize all of them and maybe I will combine a few of the ideas together in the end.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

While I see why some are suggesting white, I wouldn't go with white in a small room with no windows. When you turn the light on, esp. at night, you'll be blinded and it'll be harsh.

I'd get a white shower curtain, and go with a chocolate/espresso brown on the wood. Black and white are harsh in small, dark, no-window places, IMO.

• zpol88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know the picture I have is pretty bad, but if you look at the curtain on the left, that is a curtain on a small window. So, the bathroom does have a window, but it's on the smaller side. I don't have a curtain on it, I only use white mini blinds on it now.