Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior shutters for bay window?

Posted by musicmaven (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 20:13

Have painted my window shutters & front door black. Would it look OK to add black shutters to bay window in porch area to balance color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior shutters for bay window?

In my opinion, no, because a single shutter on each side would not function to cover a window of that type so it would look unrealistic.

Perhaps the black could be added through some other element.

o

I agree with palimpset.
We have 4 bay windows on the front of our house and I have been tempted to add shutters but it would look odd to have just one shutter on each end.

o

Black window boxes maybe?
FW

o

I put in a bow window and took off the shutters. It looked funny because of what palimpsest said.

o

Someone here recently linked to this site and it talks about bay windows iirc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior Shutters

o

I am going to have to read that site again megsy...some of it makes sense, some of it doesn't...apparently I have a lot to learn...thanks for posting it.

I like the idea of a black window box too. :-)

o

I love that website. The guy who created it is a shutter fanatic. Speaking of wrong sized shutters, he writes: This injustice has already reached epidemic proportions.

But once you read his site and then go about looking at shutters, you can see how builders get it sooooo wrong.

o

I had a dilemma when I added a french style bay widow to the front of my house and have beautiful fully functional shutters which we use to lock up the house or to keep it cool. I had custom shutters made that fold in on themselves and have a heavy wrought iron bar that hold them back and several iron "dogs" (I think they are called dogs? the metal toggles that hold shutters in place.) to hold them nice and tight when I batten them down. I used them during the last hurricane to test them out and they held firmly in place. Didn't rattle or shake. They wholly functional and don't look at all affected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here