Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saw this in person, today

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 20:11

photo magaziner1_zps47bc80f4.jpg
 photo 1959_zpsd63ea8cd.jpg
 photo magaziner5_zps4c0ad61d.jpg

The original owner of the rehabbed house died in December at 89. One of the sellers was there today, and explained that the mantelpiece in the LR is assembled from bits and pieces of the ruins of fireplaces upstairs.

The staircase from the 2nd to 3rd floor was beautifully intact Federal. (Benign neglect during the barroom era).

The seller explained that there was a near immediate offer on the house by someone who wanted to remove the Magaziner staircase and other elements, but the offer fell through. (To me, he seemed relieved).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saw this in person, today

Pal, I am guessing the first floor was originally brick.

I love Federal. So pleasingly simple. But I like the Magaziner staircase, a work of art.

o

Wow

o

The first floor or ground floor would have been wood. The basement would have been brick. I looked at another house of this era yesterday that still had loose-laid brick floors in part of the basement.

The floors on this level must have been trashed, as well as the staircase on this level (which may actually have been removed to another area). The bar had "rooms" upstairs, which generally means it as a brothel of sorts. This probably left the upstairs pretty intact, and it was used as is. So, there are some beautiful floors and that staircase on the upper floors.

There were a number of houses in this neighborhood that were used as warehouses, or commercially on the first floors only and in either case, a lot of damage or modification happened on one floor while the remainder sat in wait to be lived in again.

o

Fantastic staircase!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here