Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Bright Orange curtains - too much? pics

Pipdog
13 years ago

Hi GW'ers, I'm struggling with the window treatments for our French doors and I was hoping I could come here for some much-needed input. Currently the area feels very blah and I'm wanting a pop of color.

One concern is that the Moroccan-inspired pattern competes with the geometric pattern in the blue rug. But I'm having a hard time finding fabric I love that isn't $55+/yard and/or silk. I've got two little ones, so I need a fabric that is inexpensive and washable b/c little fingers will constantly be grabbing these, and this seemed to fit the bill.

Here's a mockup of how they would look in the space. Is the color/pattern too much for this space?

alt="Photobucket">

Comments (76)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I'm late to the party, but YES they are perfect.

My eye travels across the room,starting at the orange throw blanket on the couch, and hits every orange thing in the room finishing with the curtains. That is perfect.

Are you making these or are they being purchase? Can you share? Or did you and I missed it?

• roch3
    13 years ago

I'm in love with that ikat pillow. I would love to see how that looks in your room. :)

• mjsee
    13 years ago

I like them very much!

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Can you share what your wall color is? I like it a lot.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

happyladi, the paint color is Pumice by Restoration Hardware - it's supposed to be a grey but reads light blue in our home.

beekeeper, the curtains will be made out of bedding that I found at Wal-Mart.

roch, i'll see if I can do a photo mockup with that pillow. :-)

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Perfect! You have a beautiful room!!!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

I really like them! Your whole room looks great, by the way. I agree about the pillows, but that's a minor issue. Keep it up! What a fantastic idea to use the Wal-Mart bedding.

• bestyears
    13 years ago

Beautiful room! Your instincts are so good! Love all the pillow ideas too, except I'm not certain about the very last one (on the wooden chair) but you may be right, and that may look absolutely perfect with it. Wonderful room!

• ruthie_s
    13 years ago

Love it! You have done a great job bringing in the orange around the room. The teal with it looks fab

• msrose
    13 years ago

I didn't even open the post at first, because I'm not an orange lover at all, but I have to say "wow", you have one of the most gorgeous rooms I've ever seen and the orange curtains are absolutely perfect! I actually like the solid turquoise pillows. I'm not crazy about pillow #3 if you do decide to go with a print. It's not sophisticated enough for your room.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Back again. This room is so beautiful I just keep coming back. I have to say throw pillow #2 is my favorite. I don't really care of #3 or #4 but #1 would work too.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions??? Where did you get your rug and the painting over the mantel?

Also, those are the best looking sliders I've ever seen. Do you know the manufacturer?

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

I love everything about it, including the blue pillow. I think it repeats the color in the blue chair. If you take the pillow away, the chair will be all by itself.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks all! homeagain, most of the stuff in this room is from HomeGoods including the rug, pillows, lamps, ceramic dog, side tables and vases. The painting I got in San Francisco.

The back of the room is a big long wall with a coat closet on one side and I've struggled with how to fill that space. It's still a work in progress, but here's the artwork that I DIYed and the table I found:

The only remaining items we need is a coffee table. We've been eyeing this coffee table - sort of a French design, but it's over our budget so we are looking for a less expensive replica on Craigslist.

I'm not sure of the slider manufacturer - they were here when we bought the home. I've checked and I don't see a name unfortunately.

• msrose
    13 years ago

homeagain - Ballards carries the print that's over pipdog's fireplace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Relflections Print

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I don't know why you think it looks blah. If you want pops of color than I think they're appropriate. My only concern is that it then almost becomes a focal point and one of the first places your eyes will go towards.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Love your DIY artwork. Do tell! :)

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

The are beautiful and draw the eye right out to the beautiful back yard. Your room is gorgeous.

• awm03
    13 years ago

Pipdog, you have a wonderful color sense. Enjoying your pix very much.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Love em. I think they are a great choice to frame your windows. Don't think I would like them so much if I were to see an entire wall of closed curtains, but are definitely a hit to frame the windows! Love your room!

• missstella
    13 years ago

OT sorry for the interruption.

Pipdog, I sent a "shout out" question to you the other day on the Kitchen Forum regarding your vent a hood that promptly shifted to no mans land. I've linked it here. Can you help me when you get a chance? Thanks

p.s. I love your orange. I love intense colors and you do it so well! I like pillow number 2 best and I think the turquise/tree pillow would also work--it brings all of the color accents together to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Questions for Pipdog on Kitchen Forum

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi stella,
    I just answered your questions about the hood in the kitchen forum - sorry I didn't see your post last week! :-)

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

• B H
    13 years ago

Oh, my! I love your room and yes, yes, yes!!! to the orange drapes! I think it gives the right amount of POP! to the room.

The turquoise & orange are a terrific combo and so far, you've done it extremely well.

I really like pillow #4 - it may be a bit brighter - but that's ok, imo, so that it doesn't disappear into the chair.

Really...I WANT your room!

• jockewing
    13 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE your room! It looks so fresh and airy yet cozy at the same time. I really love the pale blue-gray walls with all the white. I am not a huge orange person so I probably would not choose them myself, but I think they look great in your room. Personally, I would probably go with white or natural linen drapes banded with chocolate brown, or maybe something like this ikat:

Is there a reason you couldn't do real functioning drapes instead of dummy panels? Two 50x96 panels on each side with a pewter or iron rod would look so luxe.

And sorry if this is off topic, but how do you link to images on other websites?

• kjmama
    13 years ago

love!

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Love it! The curtains are perfect. Do you mind sharing where you got the orange arm chairs?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

What a fabulous room! The curtains are great!

• worriedone
    13 years ago

pipdog - your second pic of coffee table looks very much like ethan allen's in the modern glamour line: collector's classics $689, I believe.
    The top pic, is that your sofa table you are trying to match with the turned legs?

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

The orange curtains are awesome as are the chairs. I also love the turquoise leather chair!

I would like to bring more orange, red, and brown into our LR.

• peggyr1308
    13 years ago

I LOVE the orange curtains!! They look fantastic!!! The room looks like a designer put it together!

• B H
    13 years ago

Pip - thanks for sharing the wall color. Did you put the floors in? My DH really likes them (& the entire room). If you did, would mind sharing whatever info you have on them? Thanks!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aw, thanks everyone! I appreciate the nice comments. :-)

binsd, the floors are 2 in red oak hardwoods - original to the house (built in mid-50s). We had them refinished several months ago after we moved in and stained them custom mocha color - there's a tiny bit of red in the stain, but overall it reads brown. They were previously a much lighter yellow color.

For those interested - here's how the room used to look. It was painted beige and the floors were lighter. Amazing what a little paint, darker floors and some pops of color can do!
    Professionally staged photo:

moonshadow, the artwork is craft paper (in orange, turquoise, black and grey) I picked up at Michael's for $.99 a pop. The frames I got at Target. Total cost for the artwork was around $45. So easy and cheap!

worridome, I'll have to check out that other coffee table. Since we've saved on several times in the room, the coffee table might be our one splurge.

gobruno, we got the arm chairs at Macy's.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

worriedone, that coffee table you suggested is great! It looks exactly like the one we have been looking at.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Realllllly pretty~~~
    I'd keep the turquoise pillow as the color repeats your chair and add the ikat pillow for fun!

• caroscbran
    13 years ago

Love your room...it is absolutely gorgeous.

I was wondering if you could tell me what size bedding you bought to make your curtains? I was only able to find the bedding in twin size. Thanks!!!!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks caroscbran! I bought 2 twin bedding sets.

• caroscbran
    13 years ago

Thanks pipdog.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow! While lovely before, your changes have added a lot of energy. I love the darker floors especially.

That is a sweet coffee table.

• msrose
    13 years ago

pipdog - Do you by chance have a BM fandeck? I'd love to know if there's a BM color close to Pumice. I was hoping I could request a sample card from the RH website, but I couldn't find anything except the paint samples.

• B H
    13 years ago

Thanks for your floor info, pipdog! They are a beautiful color.

I just ordered a sample of RH Pumice. Would you believe my "just paint it white" husband said this evening that he can't get your living room photo out of his mind? LOL

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Can I move in with you?? That room is amazingly gorgeous. I LOVE orange, I painted a wall in our library in a deep orange color and got weird comments when I mentioned I was doing it, but once up, everyone loved it.

I just repainted our bedroom in a gray color, but used some orange accents. I think it's going to be come a color trend soon. It's especially yummy with the turquoise and gray.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

msrose, I don't have a BM fandeck, but I do know that RH paints have their roots in BM paint colors from this old thread. Unfortunately Pumice is not included on that list -- it's a newer RH color. But if you go to BM with the chip or sample I'm sure the folks at BM can match it.

thanks pesky1, and binsd, I'm glad to hear your husband likes the room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Paint matched to BM colors

• chris11895
    13 years ago

I think the orange looks great in the space. Can't wait to see the finished pictures!

jockewing - where is that ikat fabric you posted from? I love it!

• B H
    12 years ago

pipdog - thanks for sharing the color of the paint (RH Pumice).

I painted a sample on a canvas board today and I'm happy to report that it takes on a blue hue - I would say exactly like what I'm seeing on my monitor of your space.

DH & I love it so now we're just trying to figure out where to use it.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful home here!

-B

• msrose
    12 years ago

pipdog - I'm thinking about doing something similar to your craft paper art work. I've been looking at some frames at Target and I think you said that's where you bought yours. The frame is white, but the mat is cream which bugs me for some reason that they're not the same color. Is that how yours are? Also, do you remember what size your frames are?

Laurie

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

msrose, the white frames themselves measure 12x15. The mattes in the frames that I bought were white. The brand is "RE/Room Essentials" from Target.
    {{!gwi}}

• msrose
    12 years ago

Thanks, pipdog. I went ahead and bought the ones I've been looking at and they are a little different from yours. I also bought the paper, so I just need to get it all put together now. If it turns out good, this will be the cheapest art I've bought so far!

Laurie

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hope it turns out well! And if you get tired of it or decide to change your color scheme it's super easy to change out.

• msrose
    12 years ago

pipdog - Hope you don't mind me posting these here, but here they are:

Thanks again for the inspiration!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

msrose, they look great! I really like the off white mattes. Nice work!