Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehyajenz6

Blinds vs Roman Shades vs Cellular Shades

TehyaJenZ6
9 years ago

I'm trying to decide which way to go for the bedroom in my new house. 2" wood blinds, Roman Shades, or Cellular Shades.

Which is the most energy efficient? Which is the easiest to clean?

Comments (12)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I have all three in my house. The slatted blinds get the dustiest but I like that if you tip the the "other" way, they do a good job of blocking the light.

I have cellular blinds in my kitchen and den. They are great for windows where you need to put them up and down a lot. I have the "top down, bottom up" in the den and can block the view of my yucky neighbors and still let light in at the top. They have stayed nice looking for many years and dont seem to collect dust. An occasional spider will decide to live inside a "cell", but it has not been a problem for me. I also recommend the cordless kind.

I have roman shades in the bedroom. They are mostly decorative and a bit of a nuisance to open and close. I do close them at night, but have to fuss with the folds every morning when pulling them up. Light leaks in around the edges. I have regular old roller blinds behind them to pull down during the day for privacy.

I'd say the cellular are most energy efficient but none are meant for that purpose.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cellular are the most energy efficient.

I have cellular in one bedroom and the wood slats in my own bedroom. I love the look of wood slat blinds. I don't care for Roman shades.

But the wood slat blinds do get dusty.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

I have roman shades in the bedroom. They are mostly decorative and a bit of a nuisance to open and close. I do close them at night, but have to fuss with the folds every morning when pulling them up. Light leaks in around the edges.

I guess there are various kinds of roman shades. Mine are zero fuss and fit close to the edges and are cordless, top-down bottom-up.

Even without the side panels mine are close to the edge in an inside mount. measured to fit.

You may be referring to more designer custom fabric-y style roman shades???

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oooh, I like your shades wendyb! They're called Roman? They look like the covered slatted blinds. I think of Roman shades as being those you pull up and they fold up on itself as you pull them up.

I have the top-down cellular blinds in the other bedroom. They're great.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

There are energy-saving insulating linings for both cellular and Roman shades. Cellular is a more modern look and Roman can be made of various fabrics to coordinate with other things in room so that is a consideration.

Wood blinds probably require the most frequent and laborious cleaning but if you live in a dusty area it will be on everything even if you don't notice it as much on fabric shades.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

cellular or insulated romans would be the most energy efficient. wood blinds not so much as air can circulate between the slats.

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

Wendyb -- who makes that shade, and what is the material? I've not seen a version of that, and they sure would be a bit dressier-looking than the honeycomb/cellular shades I'm currently considering!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Just ran across a houzz article related to this topic and thought I'd link it.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz energy efficient window treatments[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/7-window-treatments-that-can-lower-your-energy-bills-stsetivw-vs~25717437)

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great article, thanks!

I think of roman shades as the pleated fabric as well. The ones in the picture look like what I think of as cellular shades. I think I'm leaning towards cellular at this point, thanks for all the info!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

@pammyfay, those are Hunter Douglas Modern Roman Vignettes in Linen Weave material , color Birch Bark. There are different fold styles. I chose the stackable kind. A little pricey, but I splurged for the bedroom. A double window and a single window ran about $1300 or so. :-( But the quality is superb and lifetime guarantee.

Close up picture here will show it better:

http://www.hunterdouglas.com/roman-shades/vignette

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

fyi, tested that link I posted and it doesn't work in firefox for me. I have to use IE for their website. Probably my browser is old.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH