Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skymom_gw

Stair Risers Color

skymom
16 years ago

Do you paint Stair Risers to match the trim, or do you paint them the color of the hallway? The woman at the paint store suggested the same color as the hallway walls, the painter said the same color as the trim. The steps are wood, the trim BM White Dove Satin Aura, and I am using C2 Potsticker for the hallways.

Comments (4)

• les917
    16 years ago

I generally consider the risers part of the trim, so that would be my answer. However, people have done wonderful things with the risers on stairways, and so in the end it is up to you.

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I painted my risers the color of the trim at the insistance of husband, architect & contractor. I wanted to paint them black. Its only been a few months and Im already regretting listening to anyone but my own instinct. Even though we take our shoes off in the house, I foudn a big scuff mark today! Arrrrggh.

So Id go with something dark if you don't mind the look.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Our treads are painted black and the risers are white. While my trim is white as well, I really did it that way because the railing is painted black and the spindles white. I do think you can do whatever you want. Not sure that I'd personally what my risers to be my wall color. The white risers do get scuffed. But as with anything else, after the first mark, I think you sort of forget about it.

• skymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...it is a tough choice. At least Potsticker isn't too dark. I don't know, but I'll probably stick with the White Dove, but make sure he puts an extra coat on, or uses a more durable paint on the risers. Thanks, everyone.