Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barn wood siding

Posted by czizka (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 19:51

Hi

We've taken the siding off of our barn and want to use it for wainscoting along the stairwell and hallways of our home. We've pressure washed the wood to take away the faded red (now pink) paint and are using Rust-Oleums driftwood stain. It looks great! But I also want to use some of this in the bathrooms and I thought I wanted to paint it white for the bathrooms. This does not look so good! The heavy white paint looks very wrong. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barn wood siding

use Golden Oak stain with satin polyurethane for protection.

The wood itself is gorgeous. Don't hide it behind paint. I also had a barn torn down. My master bathroom mirror is made from the wood, as are a sideboard in my dining room and a shelf behind my sofa. All stained with Golden Oak, protected with satin poly, and they are beautiful.

My father made the mirror and sideboard for me.

I am one who completely admires what you are doing.

o

What happens if you white wash it? So it's not a heavy coat of paint, but still some white?

o

Sarah Richardson used a white stain that looked lovely. It would be more solid than whitewash and might be an alternative to white paint:

"One of the most popular questions I get is whether you can whitewash over existing panelling that has been finished, lacquered, urethaned or stained. The answer is no, you cannot whitewash over a pre-existing finish as the original stain or finish will create a barrier, and the whitewash will not be able to penetrate to the wood. You can, however, use solid stain over old panelling and it looks terrific."

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint it whitewash

o

We did that one time. You might need to spray with an insecticide before you install it. Ours became spider heaven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here