Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4us_gw

'Neutral' Yellow, creamy not icy, Dunn Edwards-does this exist?

kitchen4us
15 years ago

We are considering painting the living room and kitchen (all open area) a "neutral" yellow, but the first 2 yellows we have tried samples of, though light in color, appear too icy or too yellow. In some decorated homes I've noticed some walls that appear a bit yellow but are very, very neutral. So I am not sure if we should be looking for a "tannish" color with a hint of yellow, or if the paint is actually a yellow. Does that make any sense? We would prefer a Dunn Edwards color, but could always try to color match your suggestions.

We are planning to accent the room with tourquoise, cobalt blue and some green. The kitchen cabinets are medium-toned maple, and the carpet is beige. Several people have suggested paiting the walls a light yellow.

Thanks in advance to a great forum.

Comments (22)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Yellow is a really tricky color to get right. We have Behr's Capri Cream on our ceiling and it pretty much fits your description, at least in our setting.

However, with maple cabs and beige carpet I'm not sure I'd go with a yellow.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

My bedroom is painted Vanilla Custard by Valspar and I absolutely love it. They sell it at Home Depoe check the color out I think this is what you are talking about, maybe.

• decchallenged
    15 years ago

We have SW Ivoire in our foyer. I think it's a light neutral yellow.

• alterit
    15 years ago

I used Ben Moore Fresh Air. I love it so much I am doing it again in my remodel.

I don't have any photos right now...but you can get a sample it is really a great neutral yellow that is creamy yellow.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Your beige carpeting must have a lot of cream or yellow in it. Beiges are tricky, there are a ton of beige colors out there. Beware of using yellow if there is any pink in your beige carpeting. But I'm sure you know that already.

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

Have you looked at Quiet Splendor from Dunn Edwards? I find it a beautiful, light neutral yellow. If you want a little deeper, you might look at DE Canary Island or Madera.

I want to third SW Ivoire (I'm painting my bedroom with it and love it), but I know you're looking at DE.

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

Looking through the DE "perfect pallette" right now. How about Pale Pearl, Down Feathers, or Still Morning? From the tanner side, what about Antique Lace or Antique Linen?

• colorblind1961
    15 years ago

I've got the infamous "beige/taupe" colored carpeting also, and take it from me - yellows do not go at all...as you can see from this picture:

The color on the left wall is a yellowish/tan and looks hideous against the carpet. The original color (on the wall with the clock) is a light peachy tone - not my style. So after 11 samples, I still can't find a complimentary color - mostly due to the color of my carpet - BEIGE!

• Bunny
    15 years ago

Hey Parma, what color is your wood floor? How does it work with the Ivoire? My floor is red oak, which is golden with some rosiness here and there.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hi linelle,

My floors are a warm ash. There's a bit of red in the gallon formula of Ivoire so it works much better with warm flooring than something in the cooler range.

• lauriencali
    15 years ago

We used Golden Gate by Dunn Edwards throughout the house, but we lightened it by 50% in our hallway due to less natural light. The paint color changes throughout the day, sometimes reads a dark golden tone to a tannish yellow, just depends on the lighting... but we love all the colors it reveals.

My daughter's room is a very soft creamy yellow, which was bought from Home Depot (husband knows the color and brand, which I can get). I'll try to get a picture of her room tomorrow and post for you to see.

Here are photos of the Golden Gate if you are interested. Good luck~

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Gate by Dunn Edwards

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Parma, evrytime I see your place I get weak in the knees! Do I have a 'house crush'?

I really like BM Straw if you want a soft yellow that doesn't glare yellow. It sort of takes a backseat to everything else in the rm.

And then I like BM Filtered Sunlight - can go more yellow or more cream depending on light. It's one up from Straw.

I like SW Decor White. Looks pale cream/ off-white until I put it against white.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Ttodd, believe me, the feeling is mutual. Unfortunately, the downturn in the economy (DH works for an Italian company and Europe is hurting much more than the US) has really put a crimp in the final layers. Our WT budget has all but evaporated, along with fireplace, backsplash, art, etc., not to mention the entire outside.

I'm really trying to at least get the front two rooms finished.

• kbmas0n
    15 years ago

Almost my entire house is painted BM Cameo White. It's a very creamy yellow. We love it!

• kitchen4us
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I sure appreciate everyone's responses. Glad to know we're not alone on this. A light, neutral, creamy yellow is out there. The paint name can sure be misleading. I really like the pictures with SW Ivoire but both houses shown have a lot more natural light, I think. Great picture of BM Cameo White.

Thanks for all the Dunn Edwards color suggestions, too. We are trying DE Flaxen next since it color-matched something I brought in. Thanks again.

• Suzanne Latif
    7 years ago

Golden gate

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I used SW Jersey Cream in my living room and library. It is a beautiful creamy yellow.

• ldstarr
    7 years ago

Try SW Paper Lantern. We have it in our kitchen and mudroom. You'll have to sample it in your rooms, as it changes dramatically with the natural light. Both of our rooms have eastern exposures and it is a soft yellow. I took my board to a friend's home to see in her dining room with a nw exposure and it was much more straw colored.

Good luck.

Lisa

• annac54
    7 years ago

Be sure to test a fairly large sample on various walls. The yellow colors change during the day depending on the natural light, and then again with any artificial light. We painted our kitchen/family room 3 times before we got something that worked. I had painted sample patches on one wall, but the exposure varied on the others and those first 2 colors just didn't work. I appreciate everyone's input on this as it's time to re-paint and I want something just a little different this time.

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

We love our new yellow in our living room. We color matched the lightest thread in our carpeting..just checked and they put all the numbers but no name!! Dumb. Valpar/Menards is all I can tell you. Ours reads mostly cream but it is a yellow.

• Kalia
    7 years ago

Dunn Edwards Cameo. LOVE IT! Similar to the ancient color "ochre."