Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Choosing frames

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I want to hang a wall of vintage maps (all the same style and colors) of the countries to which we have travelled. This will be in the 2nd floor hallway of our beachhouse. The walls are Simply White, floors are hardwood. There will be sconces, shown below. There will probably be at least a dozen 11x17 maps, depending on whether we decide to do countries or continents, etc etc. The maps will not be trimmed.

Map example:

Sconces:

What kind of frame would you use?

Comments (50)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Beach house, huh? Probably doesn't come as much of a surprise that this is my first thought:

Here is a link that might be useful: Barn wood frame

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Not sure it would work, but LOVE this:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like those with the map colors, Tibb. But I think they may be too informal or rustic. This is the first area you see as you come up two flights from the LR, which (and I am not sure if you were around for the plethora of LR thread I foisted on the good people of GW), has dark wood panelling and this palette of fabrics and wallpaper:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

But in reality, I think I'd go with a very simple, thin poster frame and let the different shapes and colors of the maps dictate.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

I would not do frames; I'd just have them mounted at the frame shop (we did that w/ several of the decorative maps in our house). Like these:

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 20:13

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Yes, exactly, beagles. I agree. Either mounted plain, or in those clear frames that clip together, or a very thin poster frame.

The last time I was at the frame shop, there was this new way of mounting pictures that was very cool. Let me see if I can find out what it was. Of course, having it done by a frame shop is sooooo expensive.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Beagles, How are you?

Thanks, Tib.

I have framed some things in the past with glass and clips, which I like, but I am looking for something more interesting here. The maps are all the same colors (all from the same 1937 Rand McNally source) and same size, so I think the frames should be visually interesting (esp on Simply White walls and as pretty much the only thing in the hall). For example --- bright orange lacquer, but not sure that's read well with vintage.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

What if you were to get simple wood frames and upholster them with the flag of the particular country in that frame?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I Googled it to see if that flag thing has been done, and I found these, painted with the flags of countries. I'll put up the US and the United Kingdom

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

United Kingdom

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

If you want something with more interest, how about a gilt wood frame with a relatively simple molding? It would look classic, but add some brightness in a color that is essentially neutral. It would allow the maps themselves to shine rather than competing with them.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I have several old maps of the states and areas of the country DH and I were born and raised. I used a simple mat and a this frame which has a sort of vintage look. I only have about 4 maps however; could get a little spendy with a lot of maps.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, wow, that is so creative. That might be a little too out there, and would also get tricky. For example I am using an old map of Asia and Thailand is Siam. Do i get a Siamese flag, LOL.

Outside, i bought maps for the same purpose, for my primary home office, and then ended up hanging an oil I got from my Mom. I like that look though. Yes, I have had enough things framed to know it's really spendy, but it's really the only way to get the look.

True, gilt always looks nice!

I may just have to wonder into a frame store and see what strikes my fancy....

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I get the direction with the orange lacquer but it could read too strong - but perhaps it would work (orange or any bright color) with a chinoiserie look - maybe bamboo? Or you could frame in a some sort of distressed brass - which could also work with chinoiserie? Love the sconces! Where did you find those? I am sconce sourcing for a kitchen reno in our summer house....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Marinagal,

How are you! Thanks for the orange comment; hmm... bamboo, that's worth looking at.

You do love the sconces? I can't decide whether they are goofy or not! But I hate to buy things that aren't interesting, or that I already have used somewhere else!
    They are from Circa. They have become my go-to source. I think their quality is pretty good, they have a great selection, and the prices are reasonable IMHO,so I can avoid falling in love with (needlessly) wildly expensive stuff.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Given the home's location, the sconces and the proximity to the LR palette, perhaps a simple, dark navy frame.

• Sms
    10 years ago

You could do something like this with different mix of vintage frames hung over the maps. You could use a variety of soft pastel colors.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The sconces are great. they look like something might see on a boat, so perfect for the Maine coast!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tib, thanks Peony.

Zeitgast, wow, i love that look. I am not sure if I would do the map out of the frame thing, but the idea of a melange of old frames, suspended in a similar way, that I find intriguing. Only thing is if I go to the framer, i can get it all done in a few weeks; but this way I have to go on a hunt!

I am trying to find reserves of patience!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If they aren't valuable, I would deckle the edges and then decoupage them to old wood or weathered wood or barn board which would be gray, or you could go with maple which would give you more of that orange tone.

You could always use painted or stained wood if you wanted a more blue color...

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think Annie's idea is really great.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are cheap. But I want something a tad more formal, and to me the look is as much about the layout and the frames, for this type of thing. kwim?

Oh and plus i am a zero on the craftiness scale!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I meant to say, I really like beagle's collection and the way they are mounted and hung. Sounds pretty easy, peasy to me and I like the casual-ness of the grouping. Perfect for a lot of odd sizes and other odds and ends among them that tie together.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

If it were me with your furnishings I'd go for an aged gold with very think borders. Look below

Here is a link that might be useful: frames

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi outside,
    I agree with odd sizes, but these are all pages from the same 1937 Atlas, all 11x17. I think I have one problem child; Australia is horizontal and most of the rest are vertical. I may have to exile her to another wall. Since they are all the same size and coloration, I am going more grid like.

Yaya, I need to go custom, since these maps are 11x17. But I do like those! Sort of vintage bling. PS Do I recall you are in Maine? Would you have custom framer to reccommend?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Here's an example with orange:

With maps from the same source I usually enjoy a spare, formal and contemporary setup with dark (dark gilt, black or walnut) frames and minimal matting. But I also really like the look yayagirl posted.

More minimal gilt, looks nice:

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Toronto Interior Design Group : Yanic Simard

Beachy

[Beach Style Hall[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-hallway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_743~s_2110) by Charleston Interior Designers & Decorators Margaret Donaldson Interiors

• theclose
    10 years ago

I echo the gilt frames. Simple. Will look great with those fab sconces!

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Hi Mtn - thanks for info on sconces. I do like Circa... but I always forget to look at them b/c I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at Visual Comfort and other lines my favorite local lighting shop carries... I do like those sconces for your house. I think they are fun, not over the top, and a good fit with your seafaring captain theme. I just found an example of the type of bamboo gilt frame that could work for the maps. I could also see bamboo painted in a fun color. I haven't had much time for GW lately, waah!, but your house seems to be coming along really well - when do you think it will be done?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the frame on a picture that I have hanging in my breakfast area. I love the way the gold band sets off the black frame.

• kitchentime
    10 years ago

I like this look, but could be in part due to the wall color.
    Scroll down to 6th & 7th photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meghan Stroebel blogspot

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Here is a close up of the banding and the frame.

• User
    10 years ago

Mtn, I always end up with Larson Juhl frames because they have a great selection and are reasonably priced. This is a blue linen frame from their website that would be a great color for your Maine home. The next post has a picture of a brass corner from a company in the UK called Wessex.

Edited to clean up after the iPad!

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 8:08

• User
    10 years ago

I know you can find a framer in your area that will put these brass fittings on the corners. These are from Wessex in the UK but you should be able to get something similar locally. A distressed turquoise or orange frame with these corners would be wonderful!

Edited for that â‹%^# iPad!

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 8:06

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd go with a simple gilded frame -- -we're talking sea captain here.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I framed old sea charts with black frames. My walls are a pale tan and the chart colors blended with the wall color so I was going for contrast. The black looks a bit harsh and I wish I had gone with something lighter.

• User
    10 years ago

Forgot this picture, showing multiples framed similarly with discreet brass corners.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

kswl, I totally agree wrt Larson-Juhl. I don't usually quote or recommend brand names, but my local framer carries that brand, I always gravitate to it, and 9 times out of 10 it's the one I'll select.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

kswl, that is SO pretty! Maps would look great in frames like that, I think!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yes, definitely like those brass corners.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

with turquoise accessories ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, for your comments and great photos!

I went to the local framer the other day, just to look. The maps are 1937, so my DH suggested something a tad art deco, but we didn't like the color. I looked at some utilitarian options, but they didn't send me. The frames are Larson Juhl, which I agree is good value. But I am probably doing 10 or more, and they will be $250 each, which is too much for something just okay.

My first choice is pictured below. It is hard to see, but the frame is an orangey gold that picks up the orange highlights. It also has a bit of texture.

I think it's eh, not fabulous. So, I'm still looking. I like the idea of the corners very much, KSWL. I did a little looking for vintage frames but 11x17 is an odd size...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Lizard skin....!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

holly-kay, where did you get that gorgeous frame?

• peony4
    10 years ago

Mtn, I know you indicated you were not crafty. But I'm fairly certain the "discreet metal brackets" on the above frames can be found at a hardware store. I know the tiny bracket on the turquoise frame is just that. I have those in my garage.

I can't mimic the rounded brass fittings from the UK, but if you like the flat brackets at the corners of the other frames, just buy nice flat frames and head to hardware store for flat corner brackets. (There are even decorative ones in the actual "hardware" section.)

Kswl, those are lovely frames... I may experiment with some frames I have in the basement and some flat brackets I found in the garage.

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, it's given me a few ideas for framing in our basement. I really like the rounded frame with the fitted corner, but a thin frame with a hardware store accent looks pretty good, too!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Lots of ready made 11x17 options, like this:

http://www.frameusa.com/metal-i-picture-frames

or this:

Here is a link that might be useful: an example of a ready made 11 x 17 frame from Amazon

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gee, Fiesty, I did not know 11/17 could be had in a premade frame!

Those sure are a bargain!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

eBay has 8,066 listings for 11 x 17 frames - many styles.
    I linked the first page below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 11 x 17 frames

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Aaron Brothers has an entire aisle of 11 x 17.

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

I like the bamboo suggestion, or tortoise shell, or a thin frame bamboo in shape but high gloss black in color.