Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Chippendale or Cable Railing - Please Vote!

Jules
10 years ago

I've had my heart set on chippendale railing for our veranda as shown below. It's time for me to order the railing, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I want to cover our beautiful lake and beach views the least amount possible.

So I'm considering cable railing instead.

What would you do?

Comments (63)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That's amazing, Annie. Why can't my windows be made of the same never-need-cleaning glass!

I have a client who has the glass panels on her deck. I"ve never cared for the look. Seems too "indoors-y" to me, or something.

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

Glass. Unless it's beyond your price range. Otherwise... Glass!

• jjam
    10 years ago

Cable! Without a doubt. Love chippendale too, but it belongs in the city, or country. Not by the water. Gorgeous home. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't know, tibbrix...certainly our windows get dirty and need cleaning, but for some reason, the glass railing doesn't. Beats me....

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Hi juju. I like the look (or absence of view obstruction) of the cable. The chippendale is so 'thick' looking and I think would block quite a bit of the lake. Love your rendering. So pretty.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I too love the Chippendale, but I'm really liking the glass. You're up on the bluff on the shore of Lake Michigan, so I wouldn't worry in the least about obstructing any breeze. There is enough wind to go around coming off the lake. There will be more days that you can't use the deck because the winds are too strong than days you'll wish you could get every drop of breeze. I vote for the glass.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I love Chippendale (or as it is often mentioned on Craig's list, Chip and Dale) but I think cable would be the best choice for views.

It appears that AD lucked out with her never clean glass. Around here we would have all kinds of insects stuck in the corners because they would be attracted to the light in the house. Add pollen, dried leaves in the corners, spider webs and dust to the mix. Plus, our water is very hard so if I hosed the glass it would get water spots. YMMV but I could never have glass here

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

deee, I'm not sure what corners you are talking about. The glass has no corners...the posts are in the corners. The leaves and such do get attracted to the corner of the deck where the walls meet, but not where the glass is. The bugs are not attracted to the glass as they aren't lit. They do hang out by the doors and windows though. I don't hose the glass off so it doesn't get water spots....I let the rain take care of that which is soft water.

• deegw
    10 years ago

AD, Are the glass panels and the posts flush? I assumed there were some nooks and crannies where the posts and the glass meet.. Our bugs are not attracted to glass but will throw themselves against it trying to get to the light in the house. Like I said, we couldn't do it here but YMMV.

• User
    10 years ago

Cable railing makes the most sense for your style home. Chippendale and craftsman are competing design motifs, and that type railing will also block much more of your view.

I would think the glass would be a much higher maintenance item on the beach with salt air and sand to contend with.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the back of our house. As you can see, it's extremely simple on this side. I do love the simplicity, with the 14x70 veranda and same size patio underneath taking center stage, but it's really *too* plain in this photo. Imagine if you can white square columns and heavy white trim added (as in the photos above), chimney erected, light fixtures attached, plumbing exhausts painted, shingles replaced (some blew off in a storm over the winter) and shake stained a richer color. All of that work is being done now. Plus we have a hot tub and shower enclosure going in on the bottom right and outdoor furniture on both levels.

Go for the cable railing? I'm leaning that way.

BUT, I could always go with square white balustrades if you think I need more "icing" on this simple exterior. That's what I'm wondering ... will the cable be enough?

Thanks for suggesting glass, but I've decided against it. Although we don't have salt air on Lake Michigan, I'm simply too leery of cleaning and pitting issues despite Annie's great experience with it. You have a beautifully peaceful setting, Annie!

This post was edited by jujubean71 on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 18:01

• User
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, just skimmed pix and thought you had a beach setting.

Square white balusters would be more appropriate to your home style than a Chippendale railing. I can see why you would would like to dress up the back of the house with more detail than the cable will afford you, and would do it if you want.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, kswl. We do have a beach setting. Lake Michigan looks like an ocean for sure with truly gorgeous water and sand, but it's fresh water ... and it's cold. We get used to it. Sort of.

Around here we have inland lakes and the "Big Lake." If you all haven't visited Northern Michigan before, I'll give you hundreds of reasons why you really must. It's a beautiful region that is gaining in popularity.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I still prefer the cable railing, even more now that you've posted the pic of your house. It's perfect with the contemporary windows you've got.

What a beautiful house! And, I gather, setting!

• User
    10 years ago

jujubean71-

Here's a pic of the cable railing on our home, which just happens to be on Lake Ontario. On your house, I prefer the cable vs. the chippendale, which, while lovely, is, IMO, a little too formal for your home. I'll see if I can dig up a summer pic.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hm, I think I may be the voice of dissent here: I like the look of the Chippendale railing and think it would add to the style of the house and fit with the surroundings. Cable rails look a bit "naked" to me.

The other thing is that I somehow am scared of rope railing, like little kids climbing on and/or falling through the ropes or hanging themselves. Probably paranoia on my part.

Cable railings require an incredible amount of tension to make sure they stay tight enough to prevent someone falling through. At the same time, you need strong enough posts to make sure they don't get pulled out by the force exerted on them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I think the back of your home really needs the white trim the railing will provide. The Chippendale seems a bit formal for the home, but perhaps a slightly less formal design would work best.

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

I vote for cable and Chippendale is one of my favorite styles. It is generally hard for me not to lean that way.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wasn't thinking of Chippendale as too formal. I know it can be, but I was thinking summery, cottage-y trellis. We see lots of it on Northeastern seaboard / Cape Cod inspired homes along Lake Michigan and on Mackinac Island. I guess I was thinking that incorporating some sort of trellis design would soften the look of the back side of the house, not make it more rigid.

I'm looking into cable railing now. So confused. I think I'll call my architect.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another cottage-y house...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Go with the Chippendale

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

juju..new construction on Cape Cod is using the cable railing. It looks so great.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mind is as clear as mud on this decision. I'm back to also considering standard square balusters. Ugh.

I posted a better photo above of our west elevation. The house looks rather lonely at these unfinished stages; all the finish details play such an important role in making it all come together.

Funny, too ... I looked back to my architect's first rear elevation. Doesn't this rendition look so much different than the top elevation I posted? It's all about the finishes chosen, which makes this railing decision so important.

• awm03
    10 years ago

I vote for Chippendale.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a pin board from Pinterest with lost of inspiration photos of cable railings decks ......

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Pin board of cable railing decks

• teacats
    10 years ago

And here's a pin board full of inspiration photos of Chippendale railing decks .....

Just for discussion! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- chippendale railing decks

• nini804
    10 years ago

I like the Chippendale....classic! I think maybe people are thinking your house is more minimalist than it is since it is currently unfinished with no trim, your house style isn't modern which the cable reads to me. I think Chippendale would add some nice heft to that pretty veranda.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Saw this on the building a home side. Love the elevations, makes it make much more sense!! I posted this over there we had issues with the cable buckles. In our area the cables would have been 2-3" apart with buckels everywhere! We could get the cable cheap (dh sells it and the buckels, so at cost) but the span was pretty far and we were worried about the cable giving too much (ie to allow the 4" ball to pass code etc). Balusters would have blocked our view too much. Too many diagonal views.
    Jen

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Railing:

• User
    10 years ago

Well, none of the two examples posted above with Chippendale railings is exactly cottage style. The first one is Dutch Colonial and the second is an insane graft of modern massing, traditional fenestration and craftsman columns. And Chippendale railing. It is one of the most confused looking houses I have ever seen.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm laughing, kswl. What does it say about me that I very much like that second house?

• User
    10 years ago

The house is very appealing, JJ, Just because something is architecturally confused doesn't mean it isn't good looking or liveable! In a perfect world all houses would have architectural integrity, but that sounds a bit like lake Woebegone, where all the schoolchildren are above normal, lol.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I envy your beautiful Lake Michigan site! I'd go with the cable railing.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jenny and sandy, thanks for posting your photos. Such pretty homes!

Thanks also for the nice comments from others. We are anxious to move in and enjoy summer.

This conversation has been helpful, although I'm still undecided.

We were on site yesterday, and I like the cable option when I'm sitting on the veranda (unobstructed views) but not when I'm on the beach looking back at the house. It doesn't look right on my house. It begs for something with more presence and something more traditional, I think.

I appreciate the comments posted about Chippendale being too formal, but I think my house would really benefit from some sort of fretwork along the back, so I'm exploring other options. My architect thinks I should stick with Chippendale, but I also value your input.

This is the look I'm trying to achieve -- informal, cottage-y, laid back, simple, rocking chairs, shake siding, tongue and groove ceiling, wall lanterns. I have all the elements lined up except for the railing ...

• teeda
    10 years ago

As much as I love Chippendale detail, I vote for cable in your application. As you said, you don't want to obstruct or compete with your gorgeous view!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I actually think the cable would look better with your house than the Chippendale.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I know ... cable is a great option to preserve the views, but like I said above, it unfortunately just doesn't look right when I'm standing on the dunes or beach looking back at the house. Maybe it's because of the surrounding homes. It needs something more. I'm going to call a railing supplier tomorrow to discuss options.

Thanks.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I'm just going to throw this out there. Do the Chippendale if that is what you envision and that is what you want. It is gorgeous and once in place, I think you will be happy.

Here is the reason I am saying this - everyone has their own opinion as to what "looks right", what is "in keeping with the house", etc. I just went through this with painting my front door - nothing as permanent as your railings but similar dilemma. Most "professionals" said my house wouldn't look right with any bright color door, that either black or brown was the only way to go. When I asked here, many people said the same, or to go darker of any shade. I understood when I did mock ups that the bright that I wanted wasn't right for the house. In the end, I did "semi-bright" of a deep turquoisey teal blue. I really like it. Not my favorite color, and maybe not in keeping with the house or colors, but I think it adds something that was needed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would check your local building code to see if cables are even allowed...as they can be climbed on like a ladder, they are not always considered safe vs. vertical rails or glass which cannot be used like steps.

• User
    10 years ago

What mamorella says is indisputable--- in the end, the only opinion that matters is yours, so you should have it your way :-)

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Those houses are beautiful!! I love the dark gray with white trim. My friend painted their lake house very dark gray like that with white trim and it's so beautiful. Then they stained the garage doors a fruitwood color and it was just gorgeous!

You can't go wrong. Your home is beautiful! To me it's really a matter of maintenance preference. I'm in the least maintenance camp whichever one that might be.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

In our area, the railing jen posted, while attractive, would not be allowed as the spaces are larger than 4"

• crl_
    10 years ago

I'm with nosoccermom on this. The cable railing makes me nervous if kids will be around. They move so fast and don't always have good impulse control.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I can see Chippendale on the house you posted at Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 18:12.

But, the photo of your house looks more like the one you posted at Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:30. That rendering does not look like an obvious match for Chippendale, to me.

I guess it rests on which two renderings are closer to the look your house will have when finished. When do you need to decide?

I understand why you see the cable as modern, but to me it is more casual that modern. That said, what i "hear" is that you don't like, so I would not even entertain it anymore.

I would ask the architect for alternates or variations on the chippendale, and consider those.

How lovely those verandahs will be no matter what! enjoy

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

juju, what I hear is you convincing yourself to go with the Chippendale. It really sounds like that is the rail you want, so you should go for it. The view isn't going anywhere.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: We had relatively inexpensive square balusters installed for now. The balusters can easily be changed out later if we decide to insert something more decorative and trellis like.

Each day is becoming more beautiful on the water. I can't wait to move in! Thanks for your input.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I like it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It looks great.

• User
    9 years ago

I think that is a great compromise. It looks traditional and substantial. And beautiful!