Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Can someone explain Joss and Main's "events" for me

sis2two
10 years ago

I was looking at Joss and Main's website today and noticed they have "events" going on with their items for sale. Does this mean that you can no longer get items past the event date? Would love it if someone could explain how it works. Thanks so much.

Comments (11)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I haven't actually purchased but I believe you are right. They have items for a short time and once they are gone that's it. There are a light of sites like that these days. Sometimes the items are a great deal and others are not. Make sure to price check around before making a purchase.

• mdln
    10 years ago

Some of their stuff looks great.

Their ''no returns'' makes me reluctant to buy from them.

• lorichats
    10 years ago

A co worker purchases from them quite often, and says the quality is very nice. mdln...I am with you, I am not comfortable with the no return policy.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

i have subscribed to joss and main for some time....what i have noticed is that a LOT of the items on the 'flash sale' recycle weekly/monthly, so that what they don't sell in entirety, gets back on 'sale'

i purchased a console that wasn't up to my standard, and even though they had a 'no return' on this item, they took it back (and paid shipping)

a lot of what they have now is return with STORE credit...

bottom line is if you see something you like, i think they are worth taking a chance...i just purchased a 'sun' mirror at a great price, i'll report if i have an issue with quality and return

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't realize there is a no return policy. So they only sell what the events have then?

• mdln
    10 years ago

Looks like they are owned by Wayfair.

• mdln
    10 years ago

Guess all the things I've considered were their selected ''non-returnable'' items

from website: ''We offer two options for returning your purchase. You may choose to receive a Merchandise Credit and free return shipping (AK, HI, PR, and Canada: additional shipping rates apply), or you may choose to receive a Return Refund to your original form of payment with the cost of return shipping deducted from your refund. In order to receive a refund you must first request a return merchandise authorization (RMA) from customer service within 30 days of delivery, and returned items must be received by our warehouse in new condition and in their original packaging. Please note that original outbound shipping costs are non-refundable.

The few exceptions that cannot be returned include:
    Vintage and one-of-a-kind items
    Personalized items
    Gift certificates
    Items marked "Non-Returnable" (clearly indicated on the sale page before placing your order)''

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I will add that I have found their customer service very good. Bought a palm tree that was advertised as 72" tall. I opened it up, spread out the branches and I am taller than it. Last I checked I'm not 6' tall, by any means.

With just an email and some descriptions, they sent me another. Unfortunately, I think the measurement is when the item is right out of the box standing straight up...because at that point it was 72" tall. Anyway, they just sent me the 2nd one, didn't ask for me to return the first or anything.

Also, I have seen when the price is good, by the time you add on shipping (for furniture), you can find the same thing elsewhere (Overstock or Wayfair) with free shipping but a slightly higher price tag. (And then I use my eBates to get extra $ off from those sites so I usually do better elsewhere for furniture it seems).

• sloedjinn
    10 years ago

The only 'events' shopping site I've bought from is Zulilly, which my one sister loves and buys tons of stuff from. She said they were great, so I gave them a shot. They mostly sell clothes and shoes but they do sell lots of smaller stuff for the home, like decorative items, kitchen stuff, some small furniture. I bought clothes and an over the door shoe organizer

I was very disappointed overall. The shoe organizer was the best thing and at a decent price too. But I waited several weeks for delivery. They didn't ship until like three weeks after I ordered. Luckily, it worked out for us because it was a non-returnable item.

As for the clothes I bought for myself- they were awful and non-returnable. I bought 3 dresses, paid between $20 to $30 each, which could have been a good deal, but they were made of the cheapest imaginable materials. The fabric was so thin as to be translucent. They were oddly, badly cut. I'd say they were the quality you'd find at a super discounted store like "Pay Half" or the "$5 $10 $15 Dollar store". They made stuff from Old Navy or Forever 21 seem like high quality merchandise. Non-returnable, of course.

Also, definitely shop around. I was looking for those silicon ice cube trays and found them at a joss and main event. It seemed like an okay price. Then I did a little internet searching and found them on Amazon for a whole dollar less each, plus I already have free, fast shipping with Amazon Prime.

• StellaMarie
    10 years ago

Sometimes you can get good deals on Joss & Main -- for example, I purchased a couple of Dash & Albert outdoor rugs for less than they were available elsewhere.

But not everything is a good deal and Joss is kind of a PITA with the shipping costs and the amount of time it takes to receive anything. Always Google the price. I always choose Wayfair (same ownership as J&M) over Joss & Main if they're the same price.

It's definitely the case that not everything is a deal. For example, both sites often have Stanley and Hooker furniture pieces, which I can get for less through my local furniture store.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for your input. I did order a couple of things that end April 10. One item is a large metal clock that I received today and the quality seems nice. There is a chair that I have found but cannot get it before the tenth so I'm not sure if it will be available later. I hope so but if not maybe I can find it elsewhere.