Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Pictures inside your house!

Oakley
13 years ago

Nicole and I did this a while back on another GW board. You take a picture of something inside your house. Doesn't matter what it is. A bowl, a plant, picture on the wall, your dog,a figurine...anything you can think of.

They probably shouldn't be whole room shots because then we can't see a closeup of the item you're taking a picture of.

This will give us a little insight into each other and things we decorate with.

Here's mine. I've showed this toile vase before, but I just love it!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (72)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Memazz, what do you want for that pitcher? :)

• User
    13 years ago

Oakleyok--it would go nicely with your toile vase! I've loved this pitcher for so long; my parents always had it on a bureau in their bathroom and my dad stored a roll of paper towels in it. When they moved in with me I snagged it and have given it the respect it deserves ;)

{{!gwi}}

• bostoned
    13 years ago

Loribee, I love the subway clock. Fantastic spot for it too!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

amylville - those peonies!!! I adore peonies and have a tree peony almost that color - the rest of mine are pale pink and white.

Thanks dawnp - I'm looking forward to it's next incarnation!

• sistersunnie
    13 years ago

My lovely windowseat, the best place to enjoy a breeze and watch the world....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jockewing
    13 years ago

Pps7, is that wall color in your pic Revere Pewter?

• luckygal
    13 years ago

This is a shelf in one of my hutches. The Bibles and prayer book are antique family heirlooms, the rooster, glass fishing float, and wood carving on far back right are yard sale finds, and the bienvenido framed tile I bought in Spain. I collect handblown art glass and the rooster is by Arte Vargas and would be over $100 retail - I used to sell them in my store and always wanted one but never did buy one so it was a very happy find for $5. I know he makes a smaller rooster still but I think has discontinued making this larger size so I'm especially pleased to have found it.

I love using items in my decor that have meaning or that were happy finds.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Arte Vargas rooster

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    13 years ago

I've held out on a small home project - a new half bath in my unfinished cellar, replacing a very rustic one that came with my old cape.

Anyway, it's comprised of eBay and CL finds and my own stashed possessions and has items in it that reflect the friend that helped build it, as well as my late Dad.

The Toto toilet that started it all. I bought it for $75 from a friend who flips houses. It retails for $600.

The old oak hall tree mirror from my late ex in-laws became my vanity mirror.

The vanity was a $30 CL find from 2008 that I restored. Top is a granite remnant from a local stone yard.

The old shelf from CL that was from a summer cottage at Prout's Neck in Scarborough Maine where Winslow Homer's studio is. I grew up in Scarborough, so it means a lot to me.

And the stained glass from CL that might as well have been custom made as a privacy screen for the window! Oh, and I bought the checked silk that I made the valance from a year before I even thought of this bathroom. After I ordered the wallpaper, I looked through my fabric stash and found it.
    Pretty lucky find, huh?

• pps7
    13 years ago

jockewing- it's BM silver fox.

my3dogs; LOVE your wall paper.

• sweeby
    13 years ago

My fish bowl ;-)

• applesandshanana
    13 years ago

We love our living room postcards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Renovation Blog

• amykath
    13 years ago

Wow! What a great thread and such great pieces!

This is a painting I did years ago. I grew up in San Antonio... and although this is a loose painting it is the riverwalk at night during the holidays when the lights are all hanging from the trees gleaming off of the river. It is looking from above on one of the walkway bridges overlooking the water.

{{!gwi}}

Thanks again Oakley for starting such a great thread!
    Amy

• susanka
    13 years ago

This is a little copy of Brancusi's "The Kiss". We have it sitting on our hearth; we like it both for its simplicity and abstract quality, and because it reminds us of us. (I have a bit of a tummy and DH used to have long hair.) I guess no one likes it except us, because in all our 26 years all our guests have been strangely silent about it, except one person who said she thought it was "weird".

• susanka
    13 years ago

And I forgot to say how much I've enjoyed seeing all of your contributions to this thread. Thank you, oakley!

Susan

• amykath
    13 years ago

BTW Lori I want your house! That entryway is to die for!

Amy

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

This is fun.

Okay, I couldn't limit myself to just one. This may be my favorite corner in my house. To some, it might look like a strange mess, but this is a corner of my dining room (which we use mostly as a library). The shelf is an old Table Talk Pie display shelf. It actually says Table Talk Pies on the side. In it, I have mostly travel-related books and souvenirs collected from trips. On the bottom you can see a container of knitting needles and my basket of yarn on the right. DD (10) and I use this room as our knitting space, too!

Here's a favorite corner in my kitchen. Orange French bulldog figurine from a flea market, original painting from Etsy, and ceramic piece from Jill Rosenwald.

And another shelf in the kitchen. An oil painting and 2 little ceramic creatures, all of which just make me smile.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

I want to play! I need to take some pictures of stuff!

But this is one of my favorite pieces.

My dad left to me after he passed. It was his great grandma's Hoosier cabinet. We've always called it the "old kitchen cabinet". I don't really care for how I hastily decorated it but LOVE the cabinet and history.

• amj0517
    13 years ago

loribee - love the clock! Where was it purchased? Our entry is very similar to yours and I haven't done a thing with it. Great ideas here!

What is hanging on the wall? In the first picture I thought it was a large mirror, but it looks like a panel of some type in the second picture.

Angela

• drybean
    13 years ago

I am loving all these photos.

Here is one I quickly snapped.

This is a shelf over the desk/bar area in my kitchen.

The canisters are from Belgium. My great aunt was a war bride from Belgium, and she brought these with her. They were passed down to me. I've had them boxed up for years and only recently displayed them.

The shelf of my cookbooks just makes me happy. It has cuisines from most of the places I've lived, as well as some other favorites from our travels. The Big Ben statue is a remembrance of our life in London (we lived there for two years), even though it is from good ol' American Restoration Hardware.

It is also the only splash of colors in the kitchen, since I tend to like very monochromatic schemes.

{{!gwi}}

• bostoned
    13 years ago

Looks like the thread is losing its steam. It's actually interesting to see the different styles we all have. Here's my contribution. This is a small section of my kitchen counter. C'mon people...let's see what you've got!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

While I can't capture the real color of the walls well, I love how the mirror looks against the dark color. The true wall color is more inside the mirror where you can see it on another wall in the distance. We don't have our house "decorated" yet as we still have reno debris all over and no one room is finished yet. I hope to have some completed spaces imminently!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Okay, I'll play! This is one of my favorite things in our new home -- the painted tin backsplash above the stove. It turned out just as I'd envisioned and I couldn't be happier!

The goofy little canister with the boy's head on top, to the right of the toaster, was my Grandma's and I remember she used it as a cookie jar when I was young, so I have some *very* fond memories of it! It says "Tea" on it, so I store my teabags in there now. (The goose knick-knack next to it was a gift from my young daughter and she would have her feelings hurt if I didn't use it, so despite not being fond of the looks of it, it stays.)

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

Some of my favorite things...

• susanka
    13 years ago

Love your birds, especially the green guy!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A lone corner in the living room.

{{gwi:361280}}

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

Hoosiergirl- love that backsplash! You said painted, but it looks like a mosaic piece. Beautiful!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The sun really made this chair glow one afternoon. It's from a place around the corner: the guy had a really good eye, but didn't know what it was that he had. He said that this was from a larger set from a Los Angeles estate, done by "some famous decorator [I] probably heard of, but I don't remember, since I don't know that stuff." You can't really see but its hand painted with stripes all around the whole frame. In the fireplace is a mid-19th c. Geisha box.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Eroz, Amy (pretty paintings!) & Amj...thank you kindly! Amj, the clock came from an iron metal shop locally but I feel like you can google and find them anyplace now.

My3dogs...yummy wallpaper!

Pal...I covet that little chest~~~

Such a fun thread with so many lovely things to admire~ ! Thanks for starting it.

• blufish
    13 years ago

I thought I had this figured out - sorry

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Blufish, That is charming!

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

It is fun to see little corners of people's homes. Here's one of the twin arrangements I bunged together to flank my front entry for a Christmas party last year.
    {{!gwi}}

• amykath
    13 years ago

forhgtv-

I am in love with your lighted planted holiday plant! I would love to create something in the same vein but for year round. I saw a large pot with huge twigs or maybe very skinny branches aranged in a lovely splayed out sort of way. They had lights on them. I think it was in an elegant British mansion in Brigit Jones's Diary. I would love to do something neat like that in my house!

Anyone see that before?

• doonie
    13 years ago

Interesting Thread! I'll play too!

This is in my red great room behind the sofa:
    {{!gwi}}

And this is another corner of the room, with some old photos of my grandparents (And a tribute to Bob in the photo...we all play instruments.):
    {{!gwi}}

This is an arrangement in our bedroom
    {{!gwi}}

Tile art in the master bathroom (I'm a huge sucker for tile!)
    {{!gwi}}

Accent wall in eldest DD room:
    {{!gwi}}

Free hand gecko's I painted on the Hawthorne Yellow wall of middle DD (I did 5 of these around the room...lots of fun to do!):
    {{!gwi}}

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Thanks, Coastal! That's high praise since what I've seen of your home is STUNNING!

• User
    13 years ago

Doonie I love the gecko and the tiles. did you paint the tiles too ? Where did you get the gecko ? I would love to do some on my garden walls. I saw a pic that someone did with about 100 of the tiny ones all different colors. It was great. but they were 12.00 a piece when I looked them up....nope no can do LOL. Your pics are so great as are all the others...lots of gorgeous homes. c

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Aktillery, There are certainly lots of lighted branches available. The ones I used are battery-operated which probably wouldn't be a good choice for year-round use as the battery life is very short. I don't remember the scene in BJD that you referenced, but I would think you could put together a terrific looking arrangement in a large vase/pot. Here's a link to an AC-powered, non-flocked lighted willow branch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighted Willow Branch

• doonie
    13 years ago

Thanks Trailrunner! I really need to be out in my garden today cleaning up my clematis, but it keeps raining!

I just made up the geckos and their colors. It's not hard since they are stylistic and funky colored rather than true to life. The tiles are by Josh Blanc at Clay Squared to Infinity. I love his work, plus there are all sorts of other tiles they hand make there too! Lots of fun.

In one of my first homes, the PO had free handed all sorts of herbs on her back door. It was so charming. I wish I had a place for that now and that I had saved a photo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay Squared Tiles

• lefleur1
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of my favorites ~

• redroze
    13 years ago

Oooo...I wanna play!! This is my favourite vase. It looks like a glass jug but it has the long, slender quality of a vase which makes it great for cut flowers. It has a charming country feel to it that I love. Here's
    my blog if you want to see the rest of my house.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

This is a hand-painted plate I bought in Italy... it's on the wall directly opposite the front door so it's the first thing you see when you walk in the house.

• gwentm
    13 years ago

When we purchased our condo there was a leaded glass wall vase near the kitchen filled with dried oats and other blond colored dried grasses. During our kitchen remodel I moved the vase to our foyer, filled it with Chinese lanterns and iit it with accent lighting.

• alicate
    13 years ago

Redroze, I love your vase. Is it still available to buy somewhere?

• redroze
    13 years ago

Alicate - thanks!! I bought it from a store in Canada called Homesense. It's one of those types of stores where they sell some one of a kind pieces but if you go to other Homesense stores they sometimes have the same stock. I wish I could give you a brand name but we already took the sticker off it. =(

• lisaj1354
    13 years ago

I usually lurk, but I'm loving this thread. The art on the wall is almost all original, collected here and here. One piece is a air raid shelter sign from the UK that I bought on eBay. I'm just getting started (one piece is unframed) on this art wall, but this is my first home and I want it to be perfect and as beautiful as some of the homes I've seen on this site.

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

I love the pictures in my foyer. On the left is a gallery of my family and on the right is my husband's family. You can probably make out the baby pic of each of us. In the very center is an old picture of each our mothers...very, very special. Wish you could see a little more detail. You can click on the pic and get a little closer. There's me in the upper left corner riding my shetland pony, Buddy. And on the bottom right is me as a cowgirl toddler. There's a cute pic of my mother-in-law doing a cart wheel when she was young...seventy+ years ago. Also a picture of eight year old hubby giving his pouty face when he didn't want to eat his mom's goulash. HA! Oh, and I almost forgot. Hubby and I both still had those profile tracings you did back in elementary school, back in the 60's. So there's me and my hubby of thirty years looking at each other as we were as children. I love these.

This isn't the best look at it all, but it's the only picture I have at the moment. And geez, my walls are a version of peach/pink, but I promise they are not THAT pink, yikes!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    12 years ago

lisaj1354-

I like how you have mixed your stuff up, and that nun pic is very fun, is it original art?

sandyponder

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

What a fun thread. This is almost like eye-candy for accessorizing.

Since I'm not a nick-nack person, and have no artificial flowers, my house is pretty boring. No exciting artwork. It's all pretty old and goes with my boring house.

Here are pics of two original stained glass windows in our house. We are moving to our new house in 3 weeks, and I sure will miss all the wonderful architectural elements in this old house.

With Flash....

Without Flash...

This one we moved to an interior wall because it was so deterioriated from being exposed to the elements for nearly 100 years.
    And it was in an upstairs closet where no one could enjoy it.

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

I will include a couple of my former den now playroom. The before photo was temporary to semi-permanent decor as I thought this was a temporary home. Well six years later we are still here and actually turned out that we really love the home.

Now that it has become a more permanent place and my infant has grown into a pre-schooler here the den has transformed into a playroom:

Same Wall

Opposite wall

sofa wall

bookcase

So my current decor is a la preschool but I love it. The framed art wall has some open spaces left to fill with more pictures as they come in either from DS2 or other older ones that I will dig out from DS 1. The jazz player is not from one of my kids but I loved it and the colors. It ties in with the other La stuff going on in there, eg. the blue dog, mardi gras art, etc. and ties into music which DS2 loves.

My next move is to get another rug in there and some more colorful pillows. Sorry for two of the pics being so large.

Shannon

• Ana.Blake
    12 years ago

Hey forhgtv, Your lighted plant is amazing...