Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with kitchen paint color with butterscotch colored cabinets

Posted by cocorhum (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 19:02

Anyone have any pictures or suggestions for kitchen paint color that goes with butterscotch colored cabinets and wood floors? The true name of the cabinet color is maple toffee by Merillat. I have Eddie Bauer Pecan on the walls now, but It's just too much warmth. My back splash doesn't go too well with the cabinets and it's a similar color to SW Latte. Without having to redo the cabinets and back splash from the previous owners, how can I cool down my too orange kitchen? Paint that matches the cabinets and backsplash is tough. There are a few grey flecks in the backsplash and I thought SW Chatroom looks nice with both but my husband doesn't think it will look right. Any ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with kitchen paint color with butterscotch colored cabin

It would be helpful if you could post a photo.

I think you're on the right track with a gray green like Chatroom.

In my previous house, I had natural cherry stained cabs that had deepened in hue to a very warm rusty shade. I found that SW Clary Sage provided a nice contrast. The next shade lighter on the same strip is Softened Green. I've used that in a den-very pretty.

Other suggestions are SW Svelte Sage or Grassland (same strip) or Austere Gray (an amazing color that looks great against butterscotch-I used it in a bathroom that had medium oak cabs). I was told that Austere Gray has the same mix as Grassland, without as much yellow.

All those are muted gray-greens.

A chameleon color that I love is SW Comfort Gray. Depending on the light, it can appear green, blue-green, or gray-green. It has more blue in it than the other suggestions, but blue is opposite the color wheel from orange so may work for you.

Pick a few and get Color to Go samples. Paint some foam board and place it around the room to observe at different times of day.

Good luck.

o

I was considering svelte sage and painted a posterboard . while I love it in some lights in daylight it is almost too green. it didn't look good with my latte colored backsplash. but I worry chatroom is too grey

o

Here's a picture

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:52

o

Have you played around with the SW Color Visualizer. You could use your own photo or choose one there.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

Here is Austere Gray with butterscotch cabs (one of the SW photos).

photo SWausteregray_zpsa16b745a.pngHere is Chatroom:

photo SWchatroom_zps3183cf46.png

o

Just saw your photo. Very nice cabinets, countertop, and backsplash.

Play around with it on the Visualizer at SW.

After seeing the photo, I still think you're on the right track with the gray with just a touch of green. It will make your kitchen look very elegant.

o

Thank you for your advice randita! I've tried the SW visualizer and the colors always look off. I did get a sample of chatroom and it almost looks too blue. But then the Svelte Sage looks too green. There's just so much natural light coming in my kitchen that is changes the color of everything. I originally had Blonde on the walls but it looked florescent yellow-green. My foyer and family room which is all open to kitchen are Behr Basketry which is in between SW Nomadic Desert and Latte. My backsplash is a very similar color. I'm not sure if greens like Svelte Sage look good with that color, but the Svelte Sage looks good with my cabinets. I'm ready to just paint the kitchen a lighter version of my family room like Kilim Beige.

o

Kilim Beige/Nomadic Desert are safe choices. They have caramel undertones, IMO. Have you looked at Believable Buff/Whole Wheat? A little more golden than the Kilim Beige strip, but still neutral. They're very popular SW colors, but maybe more golden than you want .

The Eddie Bauer Pecan looks similar to SW Ivoire which is on the same strip as Blonde.

Blonde is a strange color. Looks great in some light, but I had it in the dining room of my former house and it looked orange with the western exposure. Since we were moving, I just let it go.

The right gray would work, I think, but grays seem to be tricky and very changeable in different lighting. Rather than a cool gray/green/blue, maybe a warm gray ("greige") would blend better with the backsplash if you wanted to go that route.

o

I think the color below would look super, I like a lighter look with your cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: BMwindsbreath

o

I'm thinking the same direction as Yayagal. I personally tend to not like upper cabinets that contrast with the walls so they look bolted on instead of built in (many exceptions, of course). In your case a green or blue of the same value (light-dark range) range would complement and set off the butterscotch by contrasting strongly in color, which could be very nice since they are quite attractive.

If it were my kitchen, though, I'd take the cabinet color itself significantly lighter (a whipped butterscotch candy) for the walls so everything harmonized and flowed together quietly and settled in as background, then pick up the counter color with blue accents here and there, and any other colors I enjoyed bringing in. A monochrome background is great for that.

I'm also not crazy about the backsplash with the cabinets or counter or on its own, so, assuming it still didn't look wonderful, for now I'd just paint it the same color as the walls and make it a quiet textural element.

I'd probably start an auto-deposit for a backsplash account in the process. Backsplashes are usually the most replaceable built-in, and updating one can make a really outsized difference since they often kill design flexibility and almost always holler out their design era. Fine if it was today or maybe 80 years ago, not so great if it was builders' standard package 9 years ago. :)

o

Here's a picture with SW Chatroom. Thoughts?

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:53

o

Here's another without retouching.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I agree I may just need a new back splash, but I doubt the hubs will go for it. I have no idea why anyone would choose this back splash, especially with the color of the cabinets. There is no blue in the counter tops either, it's a dark gray with some black, white, and my cabinet color flecks in it. I considered the paint color that's on the wall now a butterscotchy color and I can't handle all the warmth anymore. The floors are hardwood and a similar color to the cabinets so it's a lot of orange. I just don't know how to cool it down.

Just to clarify, Rosie, are you saying to paint the back splash the same color as the walls?

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:54

o

I think that by abutting the cabs with gray it calls attention to the backsplash even more whereas a light neutral would not pull the eye to it. The eye always goes to color.

o

that makes sense yayagal. I'm starting to agree with the light neutral. but how light? should I try to match the off white in the back splash? since the cabinets are so warm what kind of neutral do I need?

o

I posted one up above that I think would work well. It's neutral and will keep the room light without casting any other colors.

o

I would remove the tile and repair the drywall. Then you can paint the gray blue you like which looks really pretty with your cabinets, and enjoy your otherwise nice kitchen!

o

The BM Windsbreath looks very similar to SW Divine White (at least on my computer monitor) - the lightest shade on the Latte strip. I used Divine White in a powder room that had caramel maple cabinets and it blended well.

If you wanted a little deeper, what about Divine White and Kilim Beige mixed together - 50% each?

o

what about sw patience? it seems to harmonize well. the designer at sw raves about that color. on the back of the color card it says it coordinates with sw chatroom. funny. wonder if I could do the kitchen in patience and paint the dining room chatroom? since my kitchen eating area is part of the kitchen will the patience be too light?

o

or sw sand beach? I see its a warm neutral. the patience is listed under the Orange family which scares me even though it doesn't look Orange.

o

Yes, Corcorhum, I did suggest getting rid of the backsplash's design influence for a while by painting it--until I replaced it. What I wouldn't do is reject something I really liked, like Svelte Sage, for something else that went better with a tile I didn't want there anyway.

I'm glad my screen was lying to me about your counter, btw--which it shows as a bright deep blue. I love blues, but I prefer to be the only design dictator in my house.

The suggestion to remove the tile altogether and continue the wall surface elsewhere through your kitchen is also one I really like because I chose painted wall as backsplash for our own home and really like it. Our wall surface sweeps into and around the room, simple, serene, and uninterrupted. We have windows instead of uppers, and it runs from counter surface to ceiling above, below, and between them, behind the stove, even covers the upper part of our otherwise wood hood--just for the continuity (copied from a picture I liked in the web). Design- and visual-wise, just in IMO, it can be equaled but not beat and is far better than the typical, economy-driven little splash-catcher starting and ending willy-nilly with a counter. Especially in homes where the kitchen and main living room are one.

Another major plus is that it's a very viable interim step for those who want tile but don't have it in their budget now--eliminating the need to put up with a backsplash they wouldn't have chosen. Modern paints are very scrubbable, and a can of paint in a closet will provide a quick fix if a wine splash that wasn't noted the night before won't come off.

o

I have abandoned svelte sage for another reason ... I don't think it looks good with my family room and foyer color of behr basketry ... but sw chatroom does and so does patience. my kitchen does open to family roon ... should these be the same paint color?

o

I agree with Rosie. When you can't find a good middle ground for all your design elements, just pick the most prominent ones (cabinets, counter) and work with those. Perhaps it's not feasible to change your backsplash right now, but something you could do down the road.

I like the Chatroom with your cabinets or else something similar in tone to your cabinets but lighter, as suggested above.

In a room that gets good natural light, colors in the yellow or orange family (like Patience) will appear more yellow or orange so that may not work to tone down the orange in your cabinets.

If there is a clear delineation between your kitchen and family room, it should work fine to have them different colors. If there's no good stopping place between one and the other, paint them the same color.

o

yes there is a lot of natural light so that's probably why the yellows I've tried haven't worked. but a lighter version of my cabinet color would be in the Orange family wouldn't it? I like the chatroom but I'm also not sure if it goes with the counters because they are a warm gray with white black and cabinet color specks?? the chatroom color turns a little bluish on certain areas of the room too. I also am not a huge fan if the behr basketry in my family room and foyer since it gets fleshy in certain times of the day. it's very close to sw latte. but the chatroom looks good with it. I am getting very frustrated.

o

...hmmm

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:26

o

another pic of chatroom. I'm surprised how less gray and muted it looks in my lighting. do I need to go grayer? our do I just do a dark brown color like sw down home?

o

Personally, I wouldn't go with a brown shade any darker than your cabinets.

I do really like the Chatroom, but I love greens, esp. blue-greens. But I do think Chatroom looks great as a complement to your cabinets.

If you wanted to test out a cool gray with less pronounced green undertones, you might look at 7058-Magnetic Gray or 7065-Argos. Those will probably not reflect as much green as you're seeing in Chatroom.

I could also see a light shade like 6134, 6141, 6148 or 6155. Those are all popular neutral SW shades.

There is probably a color consultant at your SW store. You could find out when they are in the store and take some photos and ask their opinion. The consultant in my local store is really helpful in this regard.

Good luck!

o

While I love blue/gray, I think it introduces a third very distinct color (or forth if you add the counters and knobs). Perhaps not very exciting, but I would pull a lighter shade from the tiles.

o

since my family room and foyer are sw latte should I just do a lighter shade from same strip like kilim beige? the backsplash is very close in color to latte too. our do I need to pull a color from the back splash? I've read a lot about kilim beige and some say it's the perfect beige while others say it has pinky undertones?

o

Hard to say. On my monitor, both Kilim Beige and your backsplash look like they have greenish undertones, so you need to see what it looks like in your kitchen. I would probably go even lighter than Kilim Beige, though.

o

All beiges have undertones - usually either pink, green, or yellow. I prefer those with a green or yellow undertones, but in beachy houses, I've seen some pinky beiges that work well-like SW Sand Dollar.

Kilim Beige is considered a "warm neutral", but of all the SW beiges I've tried and seen, I agree with those that say it's the most basic neutral beige of them all.

Just ask yourself, do you see any pink undertones in Latte? I have used Latte and to me it looks like caramel, no pink at all.

That's why Kilim Beige is so popular with decorators. It goes with most everything.

If you like Kilim Beige but want to go a bit lighter, mix Kilim Beige 50/50 or 75/25 with a basic white (SW Extra White) or mix it 50/50 with Divine White (on the same strip).

I don't think you could go wrong with Kilim Beige and you could bring in the Chatroom hues with artwork, pottery, basketry, dishware, table/chairs, or even potted plants.

Chatroom blends so well with the colors on the Latte strip, IMO.

o

hmmm

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:56

o

hmm

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:27

o

hmm

o

this color looks really nice in person with the cabinets and back splash. I just worry it will be too light when all over? I get a ton of natural light and this color will have to be in my eating area too where there is more wall space. the color is sw patience.

o

Have you considered embracing the orange theme? Maybe get a sample of BM Casa Bella orTerra Bella, I am getting my cabs, (solid maple) stained wheaten and glazed with a chocolate glazing. Your cabs look similar to what I will have and Terra Bella and Casa Bella are on my list as possibilities.

o

many people said go even lighter than kilim beige and to do a light color or whipped butterscotch. do you think the color in the last picture is the correct lightness level? it is lighter than kilim beige but not quite as light as divine white, the lightest on that strip. it also seems to have slightly butterscotch undertones so it looks very pretty with the cabinets. the color is also the lightest color in the back splash. it is sw patience. their website says it's in the Orange family but it doesn't look Orange to me. I wonder if it will when all over? Or do you think the Orange family is what I need to go well with the cabinets and to get that very light butterscotch y tone? thanks!!

o

I really like the light color with your cabinets and backsplash. You can always add art work in your eating area if you think it may be too light there. Could you show us a picture of your kitchen and eating area?

o

I'm so frustrated with this. Everything turns blue with the light coming in this room. sw chatroom looks green gray on the strip and in other rooms but pastel blue in kitchen. I tried a Benjamin Moore color that a decorator calls a super neutral which is a very muted green grey called winterwood. such a beautiful color but also looks blue in the room. ahhhh. even the sw patience which is that lighter color I have a picture of on here it's in the Orange family and it looks super neutral during the day but takes in the warmer flow under incandescent lights.

o

Have you checked out BM Rockport or Copley gray? I have them in my kitchen...Rockport is medium gray and Copley is deeper (in picture) with slightly green undertones at certain times of the day....

This is a tough one!

o

You've been sampling sage greens, which do have more blue in them.

To get away from the blue, try an olive green. It will have more yellow in it. Just make sure it's a muted olive (gray or brown mixed in).

I don't have any olive suggestions, but ask at the paint store.

o

what do you think of the light cream color?

o

what do you think of the light cream color?

o

I don't think you can go wrong with the light cream color. Since you have so many other elements going on, the light cream will not introduce something new. As suggested, you can always add more intense color with decor.

When in doubt, go with a light neutral. It's always a safe choice.

o

here's sw svelte sage ...

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:57

o

another shot ... or am I totally off with this color?

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:59

o

another shot ... or am I totally off with this color?

o

I like the Svelte Sage, but Grassland is very nice too. Those are two of SW's most popular green shades. They have more yellow and less blue in them than some of the other sages you've tried.

o

I have SW svelte sage in my guest room (& master bath) & I love it. It's a nice calming color. The color of my furniture in the guest room is very similar to your cabinets & it looks nice together. I tested grassland too for that room but it had more grey to it than green.

o

I love either of the colors, but think that they highlight the orange of the cabinets. How much wall space do you have altogether?
If the cream is too light, could you pull a light/medium grey/beige from the tiles?

o

there's not a lot of wall space in the kitchen area where the cabinets and appliances are. but then there are two larger walls where my kitchen table sits but one wall has two large windows and the other a sliding glass door. there is a gray beige in the tiles but even sw kilim beige looks gray and odd next to the cabinets. maybe a grayer color would work better? I just can't picture a gray beige next to the cabinet color. it seems easier to go with the light cream color. sw patience or maybe ill sample roycroft vellum.

o

I second getting away from the blues. Look to an olive or a mossy green and don't be afraid of darker colors. You will be surprised how rich and pulled together everything can look with the right color. Investing in a few more sample colors will be well worth it vs. repainting something that doesn't really work.
I too thought I wanted a sage to work with my red oak floors and found (after 5 or 6 sample pots) a mossy green from glidden that worked well. Go flat. The color looks better without the sheen and it hides more tiny imperfections.
Good luck in your color search. Colors are hard!

o

Have you tried BM Hampshire Gray? It tends toward olive. I used it in my kitchen and family room and it took the "orange" out of my cabinets and floors.

o

so does everyone think the darker gray green would be better than the light cream color? thanks!

o

If green isn't working w/ the other rooms around your kitchen, then I would go w/ a neutral. I have a very open layout in my home & if u stand in my family room & look toward the kitchen, you can see the wall color in basically every room on the first floor; so I had to make sure all the paint colors complimented each other. Bc the kitchen was at the center holding all the rooms together, I kept the color neutral & the same shade as my foyer. I went w/ SW believable buff which seems to compliment every color around it. W/ a neutral color in the kitchen, I feel like I might be able to be more creative w/ my backsplash (currently working on narrowing that down).
Good luck! I know exactly how frustrating choosing the "perfect" paint color can be. (I can't even tell u how many samples I have!!!)

o

I like these. The gray blue relates well to the orange in your cabinets and the gray of the counter.

o

Well you have really a nice kitchen, i must go with some type of light color tiles, except doing paint, its looks much pretty if you do a some type of work with tiles/marbles pieces on wall, thats really makes your kitchen a super kitchen. Otherwise its really fantastic

o

My vote is for the gray green and if you don't want one that looks too blue, try some that are more in the olive, mossy family.

So often I've found that I pick a color, then think about it and start to doubt, then get samples of other colors, never quite finding the right one. After that lengthy process, I usually end right back where I started, with my first choice or some variation of it. But you need to go the whole nine yards to be secure with your decision.

Good luck.

o

Well good morning Bennie the chatbot!

o

im back to considering

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:28

o

im back to considering chatroom. what do you think?

o

lar

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:30

o

larger view .. my

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:29

o

If your kitchen gets a lot of natural light, go with the intensity of the Chatroom. You probably spend most of your kitchen time during the daylight hours - I know I do.

I think Chatroom blends well with your counters.

o

As it appears on the screen, I like its muted gray tone because it picks up on your gray counter. It looks like a blue gray here and the blue is very pretty with your cabinet color. Blue is complementary to orange. The cool blue of it works well with the gray too. I don't think you need to bring green in which won't relate as well to your counter color.

o

sorry to have posted so much ... thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:32

o

I like it. Go for it.

o

or this one which is

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:34

o

or this one which is lighter and more of a cream and a brighter color which has a smidge of Orange in it.

o

All the paint colors look very similar. Kilim Beige looks like a light grayed blue a little lighter than the one you've been posting. I see no cream in the last one. So, rest assured, the photos are not even a suggestion of their colors.

o

I understand you because I, too, have a hard time making a decision. But you've been posting about this for almost 2 months. I think it's time to take the plunge and start painting, especially since we can't advise as the colors on the monitor don't like like they do in your kitchen.

o

I'm not sure what happened to your latest photos, but I looked at them this a.m and on my monitor the last one looked PERFECT. I don't know the name, not sure you posted it, but I was impressed by how nice it looked with your back splash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here