Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocorhum

Help with kitchen paint color with butterscotch colored cabinets

cocorhum
10 years ago

Anyone have any pictures or suggestions for kitchen paint color that goes with butterscotch colored cabinets and wood floors? The true name of the cabinet color is maple toffee by Merillat. I have Eddie Bauer Pecan on the walls now, but It's just too much warmth. My back splash doesn't go too well with the cabinets and it's a similar color to SW Latte. Without having to redo the cabinets and back splash from the previous owners, how can I cool down my too orange kitchen? Paint that matches the cabinets and backsplash is tough. There are a few grey flecks in the backsplash and I thought SW Chatroom looks nice with both but my husband doesn't think it will look right. Any ideas??

Comments (70)

• randita
    10 years ago

I agree with Rosie. When you can't find a good middle ground for all your design elements, just pick the most prominent ones (cabinets, counter) and work with those. Perhaps it's not feasible to change your backsplash right now, but something you could do down the road.

I like the Chatroom with your cabinets or else something similar in tone to your cabinets but lighter, as suggested above.

In a room that gets good natural light, colors in the yellow or orange family (like Patience) will appear more yellow or orange so that may not work to tone down the orange in your cabinets.

If there is a clear delineation between your kitchen and family room, it should work fine to have them different colors. If there's no good stopping place between one and the other, paint them the same color.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes there is a lot of natural light so that's probably why the yellows I've tried haven't worked. but a lighter version of my cabinet color would be in the Orange family wouldn't it? I like the chatroom but I'm also not sure if it goes with the counters because they are a warm gray with white black and cabinet color specks?? the chatroom color turns a little bluish on certain areas of the room too. I also am not a huge fan if the behr basketry in my family room and foyer since it gets fleshy in certain times of the day. it's very close to sw latte. but the chatroom looks good with it. I am getting very frustrated.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...hmmm

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:26

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic of chatroom. I'm surprised how less gray and muted it looks in my lighting. do I need to go grayer? our do I just do a dark brown color like sw down home?

{{!gwi}}

• randita
    10 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't go with a brown shade any darker than your cabinets.

I do really like the Chatroom, but I love greens, esp. blue-greens. But I do think Chatroom looks great as a complement to your cabinets.

If you wanted to test out a cool gray with less pronounced green undertones, you might look at 7058-Magnetic Gray or 7065-Argos. Those will probably not reflect as much green as you're seeing in Chatroom.

I could also see a light shade like 6134, 6141, 6148 or 6155. Those are all popular neutral SW shades.

There is probably a color consultant at your SW store. You could find out when they are in the store and take some photos and ask their opinion. The consultant in my local store is really helpful in this regard.

Good luck!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

While I love blue/gray, I think it introduces a third very distinct color (or forth if you add the counters and knobs). Perhaps not very exciting, but I would pull a lighter shade from the tiles.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

since my family room and foyer are sw latte should I just do a lighter shade from same strip like kilim beige? the backsplash is very close in color to latte too. our do I need to pull a color from the back splash? I've read a lot about kilim beige and some say it's the perfect beige while others say it has pinky undertones?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hard to say. On my monitor, both Kilim Beige and your backsplash look like they have greenish undertones, so you need to see what it looks like in your kitchen. I would probably go even lighter than Kilim Beige, though.

• randita
    10 years ago

All beiges have undertones - usually either pink, green, or yellow. I prefer those with a green or yellow undertones, but in beachy houses, I've seen some pinky beiges that work well-like SW Sand Dollar.

Kilim Beige is considered a "warm neutral", but of all the SW beiges I've tried and seen, I agree with those that say it's the most basic neutral beige of them all.

Just ask yourself, do you see any pink undertones in Latte? I have used Latte and to me it looks like caramel, no pink at all.

That's why Kilim Beige is so popular with decorators. It goes with most everything.

If you like Kilim Beige but want to go a bit lighter, mix Kilim Beige 50/50 or 75/25 with a basic white (SW Extra White) or mix it 50/50 with Divine White (on the same strip).

I don't think you could go wrong with Kilim Beige and you could bring in the Chatroom hues with artwork, pottery, basketry, dishware, table/chairs, or even potted plants.

Chatroom blends so well with the colors on the Latte strip, IMO.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmmm

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:56

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:27

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm

{{!gwi}}

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this color looks really nice in person with the cabinets and back splash. I just worry it will be too light when all over? I get a ton of natural light and this color will have to be in my eating area too where there is more wall space. the color is sw patience.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Have you considered embracing the orange theme? Maybe get a sample of BM Casa Bella orTerra Bella, I am getting my cabs, (solid maple) stained wheaten and glazed with a chocolate glazing. Your cabs look similar to what I will have and Terra Bella and Casa Bella are on my list as possibilities.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

many people said go even lighter than kilim beige and to do a light color or whipped butterscotch. do you think the color in the last picture is the correct lightness level? it is lighter than kilim beige but not quite as light as divine white, the lightest on that strip. it also seems to have slightly butterscotch undertones so it looks very pretty with the cabinets. the color is also the lightest color in the back splash. it is sw patience. their website says it's in the Orange family but it doesn't look Orange to me. I wonder if it will when all over? Or do you think the Orange family is what I need to go well with the cabinets and to get that very light butterscotch y tone? thanks!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like the light color with your cabinets and backsplash. You can always add art work in your eating area if you think it may be too light there. Could you show us a picture of your kitchen and eating area?

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so frustrated with this. Everything turns blue with the light coming in this room. sw chatroom looks green gray on the strip and in other rooms but pastel blue in kitchen. I tried a Benjamin Moore color that a decorator calls a super neutral which is a very muted green grey called winterwood. such a beautiful color but also looks blue in the room. ahhhh. even the sw patience which is that lighter color I have a picture of on here it's in the Orange family and it looks super neutral during the day but takes in the warmer flow under incandescent lights.

• ajc9
    10 years ago

Have you checked out BM Rockport or Copley gray? I have them in my kitchen...Rockport is medium gray and Copley is deeper (in picture) with slightly green undertones at certain times of the day....

This is a tough one!

• randita
    10 years ago

You've been sampling sage greens, which do have more blue in them.

To get away from the blue, try an olive green. It will have more yellow in it. Just make sure it's a muted olive (gray or brown mixed in).

I don't have any olive suggestions, but ask at the paint store.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what do you think of the light cream color?

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what do you think of the light cream color?

• randita
    10 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with the light cream color. Since you have so many other elements going on, the light cream will not introduce something new. As suggested, you can always add more intense color with decor.

When in doubt, go with a light neutral. It's always a safe choice.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's sw svelte sage ...

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:57

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another shot ... or am I totally off with this color?

This post was edited by cocorhum on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:59

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another shot ... or am I totally off with this color?

{{!gwi}}

• randita
    10 years ago

I like the Svelte Sage, but Grassland is very nice too. Those are two of SW's most popular green shades. They have more yellow and less blue in them than some of the other sages you've tried.

• zaara10
    10 years ago

I have SW svelte sage in my guest room (& master bath) & I love it. It's a nice calming color. The color of my furniture in the guest room is very similar to your cabinets & it looks nice together. I tested grassland too for that room but it had more grey to it than green.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love either of the colors, but think that they highlight the orange of the cabinets. How much wall space do you have altogether?
    If the cream is too light, could you pull a light/medium grey/beige from the tiles?

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

there's not a lot of wall space in the kitchen area where the cabinets and appliances are. but then there are two larger walls where my kitchen table sits but one wall has two large windows and the other a sliding glass door. there is a gray beige in the tiles but even sw kilim beige looks gray and odd next to the cabinets. maybe a grayer color would work better? I just can't picture a gray beige next to the cabinet color. it seems easier to go with the light cream color. sw patience or maybe ill sample roycroft vellum.

• sumac
    10 years ago

I second getting away from the blues. Look to an olive or a mossy green and don't be afraid of darker colors. You will be surprised how rich and pulled together everything can look with the right color. Investing in a few more sample colors will be well worth it vs. repainting something that doesn't really work.
    I too thought I wanted a sage to work with my red oak floors and found (after 5 or 6 sample pots) a mossy green from glidden that worked well. Go flat. The color looks better without the sheen and it hides more tiny imperfections.
    Good luck in your color search. Colors are hard!

• Mary_Grace
    10 years ago

Have you tried BM Hampshire Gray? It tends toward olive. I used it in my kitchen and family room and it took the "orange" out of my cabinets and floors.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so does everyone think the darker gray green would be better than the light cream color? thanks!

• zaara10
    10 years ago

If green isn't working w/ the other rooms around your kitchen, then I would go w/ a neutral. I have a very open layout in my home & if u stand in my family room & look toward the kitchen, you can see the wall color in basically every room on the first floor; so I had to make sure all the paint colors complimented each other. Bc the kitchen was at the center holding all the rooms together, I kept the color neutral & the same shade as my foyer. I went w/ SW believable buff which seems to compliment every color around it. W/ a neutral color in the kitchen, I feel like I might be able to be more creative w/ my backsplash (currently working on narrowing that down).
    Good luck! I know exactly how frustrating choosing the "perfect" paint color can be. (I can't even tell u how many samples I have!!!)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like these. The gray blue relates well to the orange in your cabinets and the gray of the counter.

• benlinus
    10 years ago

Well you have really a nice kitchen, i must go with some type of light color tiles, except doing paint, its looks much pretty if you do a some type of work with tiles/marbles pieces on wall, thats really makes your kitchen a super kitchen. Otherwise its really fantastic

• randita
    10 years ago

My vote is for the gray green and if you don't want one that looks too blue, try some that are more in the olive, mossy family.

So often I've found that I pick a color, then think about it and start to doubt, then get samples of other colors, never quite finding the right one. After that lengthy process, I usually end right back where I started, with my first choice or some variation of it. But you need to go the whole nine yards to be secure with your decision.

Good luck.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Well good morning Bennie the chatbot!

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

im back to considering

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:28

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

im back to considering chatroom. what do you think?

{{!gwi}}

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lar

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:30

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

larger view .. my

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:29

• randita
    10 years ago

If your kitchen gets a lot of natural light, go with the intensity of the Chatroom. You probably spend most of your kitchen time during the daylight hours - I know I do.

I think Chatroom blends well with your counters.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

As it appears on the screen, I like its muted gray tone because it picks up on your gray counter. It looks like a blue gray here and the blue is very pretty with your cabinet color. Blue is complementary to orange. The cool blue of it works well with the gray too. I don't think you need to bring green in which won't relate as well to your counter color.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry to have posted so much ... thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:32

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like it. Go for it.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

or this one which is

This post was edited by cocorhum on Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:34

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

or this one which is lighter and more of a cream and a brighter color which has a smidge of Orange in it.

{{!gwi}}

• Vertise
    10 years ago

All the paint colors look very similar. Kilim Beige looks like a light grayed blue a little lighter than the one you've been posting. I see no cream in the last one. So, rest assured, the photos are not even a suggestion of their colors.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I understand you because I, too, have a hard time making a decision. But you've been posting about this for almost 2 months. I think it's time to take the plunge and start painting, especially since we can't advise as the colors on the monitor don't like like they do in your kitchen.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what happened to your latest photos, but I looked at them this a.m and on my monitor the last one looked PERFECT. I don't know the name, not sure you posted it, but I was impressed by how nice it looked with your back splash.