Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojo123456789_gw

Thoughts on oil rubbed bronze and glass knobs

jojo123456789
10 years ago

Ok we are in the middle of a second floor renovation ( due to a huge tree crushing our top half). We have a side hall colonial recently re-sided with gray cedar shake vinyl siding. We have polished brass on our entry handles. For our interior doors, we would really like to use glass knobs..have always loved glass knobs. I was leaning towards oil rubbed bronze for the rosette behind the glass. Are glass knobs appropriate for my type of house? what about oil rubbed bronze? while i like polished brass for entry door, not a fan on the interior knobs.
Changing hinges too. Contractor says have to get ones from door company and they don't match...do you think it's a big issue. The oil rubbed bronze of hinge and rosette are different.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• User
    10 years ago

I love the glass knobs but I don't think they necessarily fit with the style or age of the home and would look a bit out of place.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

It seems to me that glass knobs would be pretty in any traditional home. As for the hinges and rosettes not matching, I think as long as they are close, that's not much of a problem. If you have painted doors, though, you might consider having the hinges sprayed the same color as the door and trim. The cost of painting them shouldn't be more than the cost of new hinges and painting allows you to use any knob hardware color you want.

• jojo123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should mention that my doors will be painted white. The hinge is technically called oil rubbed bronze from door company but doesn't really match the oil rubbed bronze of the knob. I guess it'll be better than the shiny brass that came with the doors. I also considered getting antiqued brass for the rosettes.

The knobs are emtek old town glass knobs. Here's a picture of outside of house. My style is very traditional versus modern. Other thoughts?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

How old is the house? Glass knobs were pretty common on interior doors built from sometime in the 1930s to sometime in the 1950s where I grew up, in many house styles. I have seen them a lot in Colonial Revival houses.

I don't know that the hinges need to match exactly, the standard is still the raw brass, and people use various finishes for the other hardware. You will be getting closer than that.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I would have the shiny brass hinges, hinge pins and screws powder coated or painted in a color as close to the door as possible. That's what I did and seven years later, they still look great.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

A glass door knob of a different, more classic style might be more appropriate for your home than the faceted one you're showing.

I wouldn't worry about a slight difference in the colors, as long as they are reasonably close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another glass door knob set

• jojo123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe the house was built in the 1940s. My contractor was telling me that using ORB is out of place and I should use polished or antiqued brass.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The traditional finishes for the glass knobs are either brass, or chrome, but I think oil rubbed bronze is probably here to stay as an alternate finish.

• User
    10 years ago

My house is very similar to yours ie a builder grade colonial built in the late 80s and I just can't see it. These homes have no character and it would look out of place to me because they don't have the character of the older colonials referred to in an earlier post. Just an honest opinion.

• sumac
    10 years ago

I think if the decor inside your house works with the glass knobs--go for it. If you have an eclectic mix of things you like from many periods, probably not.

• jojo123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your comments...a few more details...My style is very traditional...upstairs there are three bedrooms. Two are the kids rooms both decorated in pottery barn kids. Pink flowery pottery Barn kids in one with crystal chandelier and white girls furniture. The other decorated in more blues but pottery barn and still white furniture. Our bedroom is traditional cherry wood, sleigh bed, traditional furniture. Our master bath is or will be black and white theme but vintage black and white not at all modern. We really don't have anything In The modern style in our house..all traditional. The hall bath is really very basic beige so probsbly doesn't fit with glass knobs but don't want to make decision based on the hall bth. Also for ORB I feel like it can mix more easily with other metals like antique brass or even silvery tones but maybe I'm off there?

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    10 years ago

My house is a colonial built in 1941. Original doorknobs were glass on brass. We just did an addition and changed out brass hinges to ORB and got new doorknobs (for the new doors) that are glass on ORB. The plan is to powder coat the existing glass doorknobs (not the glass part, obviously!) so that they look more ORB than brass. Do you care whether every aspect of your house is era-appropriate, or are you looking for a style that just makes sense and evokes a particular feeling? I ask, because as long as you are not wedded to having everything look as though it could have been installed in the 1940's, I don't see why you can't merge old and new if you like the look. It sounds to me from the description of your personal style that what you are thinking of doing would be a beautiful fit and very traditional in its feel. Good luck!

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I agree with Arlington theres unless your going for a strong period look I don,t see why you couldn,t mix them. Glass door knobs always make me smile when I see them in a home. Grandma always said thier jewlery for the door so they always make me smile when I see them. Someone loved the home enough at some point to give to jewlery. I know silly, but a fond childhood memory.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I agree with Arlington theres unless your going for a strong period look I don,t see why you couldn,t mix them. Glass door knobs always make me smile when I see them in a home. Grandma always said thier jewlery for the door so they always make me smile when I see them. Someone loved the home enough at some point to give to jewlery. I know silly, but a fond childhood memory.

• jojo123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love that..jewelry for your door! Madelyn's..

Arlington..you are correct..I am not beholden to having my house be era appropriate and have everything look just as it did when the house was built... Thanks for your help!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler