Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detroit_burb

Mid Century Gem - Les Guthrie Original

detroit_burb
10 years ago

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/50-Linda-Vis_Orinda_CA_94563_M18299-49414

I would clean well, but otherwise do nothing to it. I want it.

Comments (14)

• awm03
    10 years ago

Oh my word that is fabulous. It's worth the hassle to click on the View Original Size link for the full stunning effect, even though you have to do it for each individual photo. I'd never heard of Les Guthrie. Thanks, detroit_burb!

Here is a link that might be useful: clickable link here

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Very very cool house! The larger pics do make a huge difference. Some careful restoration and judicious updating and I could be happy in a house like that. Thanks, detroit_burb.

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the advice on the larger sizes.

the house is in an upscale suburb of San Francisco with top rated school, and the price seems like a steal.

I would imagine it would need lots of work cleaning up and restoring the woodwork, but I could totally live with the layout.

Notice the laundry in the kitchen, and the kitchen layout, too.

I had never heard of this architect before either, but started to look for other examples. This place is beautiful

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

very nice. For that area, the price does seem low. Is the island shaped like Mickey Mouse??

• schicksal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics! I'm saving the big version of all of them in my own personal offline Houzz folder. Hope to see it featured on Atomic Ranch sometime soon!

• teeda
    10 years ago

OMG, I'm packing my bags right now. That price seems too low--wonder if there are some issues with the property?
    I would live in it just as is--after a good cleaning of course (and reupholstery of the pit sofa). I love that no one messed with this home.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

WOW. That shower set up is fantastic! Yeah, I could live there just fine.

• emilymch
    10 years ago

WOW! The room dividers and the built-ins are fantastic. Thanks for posting this - I always love good MCM eye candy.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Two dishwashers in the kitchen, c. 1960.

I think this house could be made even better by carefully replacing things that would be better options or more appropriate options that simply weren't available in 1960 that are available now. (Windows, paneled appliances, sleeker plumbing fixtures).

• suero
    10 years ago

It's listed as a handyman special. I assume that means that the guts (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, insulation) need replacing and the finishes need refinishing.

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nothing wrong with the property, prime 1 acre cul de sac in orinda, with views, 30 min to san francisco, 15 min to oakland or walnut creek.

I would assume the issue is the money it would take to restore the ponds, and bring it into this century while working with the bones.

but for a simple gal like me, it may not cost as much because my goal would not be a new place.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Wonder what it would cost to bring it up to modern day earthquake code?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Some of the rooms are built into the slope, so I'm guessing it probably has a fair amount of water damage that was ignored by the owner who lived there 40 years.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I would get a crick in my neck from staring at that cool ceiling. But then I'd be ok once I looked out those fantastic windows. Great house!