Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iruehl_gw

Color suggestions needed for painting a table!

IRuehl
11 years ago

I am going to be painting a table white, blue, or green. I have photos on my blog of the table, and the room it will be in, Also have a few pictures of painted tables I really like on the bottom of the post. Please, suggest colors you think would work with the room? Or even be close to some of my inspiration photos.Also looking for the right type of paint for a table top that will get good use. Thank you all!

Pictures...

http://wp.me/p1MmG7-fn

Here is a link that might be useful: Table and inspiration pictures!

Comments (26)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I would suggest the white and that way you can put lovely colors on the table and chairs. I love all your decor so I'm sure you choose a spunky rug to keep the balance in the room.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Nice find! I'd stay away from green, since your walls have a green cast, and making greens work together is a challenge. I think I'd choose a "dirty" shade of white that is deeper than your White Dove woodwork, taking care to stay away from anything with undertones of rose or orange...both underlying colors would be intensified by your green walls. Perhaps Benjamin Moore's Lancaster Whitewash, or Farrow and Ball's Clunch, or Elephant's Breath.
    Then I would paint the chairs a rich warm gray, rather than matching them to the table. Something like Granite from the Benjamin Moore Afinity group, or Pratt & Lambert's Wolf. Those colors usually look a little lighter in a satin finish, so I wouldn't go much lighter for that effect.
    I think you'd have a very stylish but informal combination, and a great backdrop for any colors you wanted to use in setting your table or using flowers.

• susieq07
    11 years ago

A nice sunny yellow would look great! I did a faux quartz finish on my dining room table, then had a quarter inch slab of glass with edges beveled to go over the top.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That looks really nice! I don't think I could handle yellow, I have it in small punches around my house, but am a little scared of it.

I like white tables, but my fear is this too much white. The wainscoting is white, the cabinets are white, the curtains are white. I wonder if the white table would be over kill in this smaller space? Maybe do the chairs white? Here are some pictures of the kitchen as of now, its not done, counter tops, floor and back splash need to go up.

http://wp.me/p1MmG7-b8

Thanks for the heads up with the green. I don't want to over kill the house with green, even though I love green. Maybe green place mats, decor?

That leaves blue. I love blue, and have wanted t paint something blue beside my walls in other room of my house!

Anyone recommend a good type of paint that will hold up to my kids, toddlers?

Here is a link that might be useful: The kitchen, breakfast nook table sits in

• User
    11 years ago

I would do like I did with mine, put a darker stain on the top and paint the bottom white. I don't think I used the right white for mine and may redo it because it's a little stark, but in addition to the colors already suggested a new go to favorite of mine is Cottage White by Behr that's the color of our hutch and it's perfection.

This is a before shot:

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats stunning! I don't know if I can stain the top, I would have to sand a lot off, my table has some killer scratches and gouges, that need to be filled. I love your hutch color!!!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I painted it, still need to paint the chairs white, whadda you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures on my blog.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

What is that dark thing it's sitting on?

The table colors in your inspiration photos will not do any favors for your wall color. I think the table should be a very light grey, to
    play off the grey green of the walls, and the chairs should be white.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That dark thing is called a rug, not everyone has the $$$ To replace something on a whim, and maybe have to work with what we have in the mean time. I know its ugly, I hate it with a passion.

White chairs, yeah, on the list of to do. Grey, nah, that would dull in here. Most of my homes 'pop' is in this aqua shade.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

I am very sorry IRuehl, but on my iPad that looks like a mat or newspaper and not a rug. I am not criticizing the color of your rug, since I did not even realize that is what is is. You said you are painting the table and that's why I assumed it was something else. Again, sorry. If you hate the rug, why not just roll it up and donate it or sell it or pitch it? I don't like rugs under tables anyway and have none. If your floors are in good shape they're a great backdrop for a table that also makes your room look more spacious.

But since my screen color is so off, I can't recommend a color as all the inspiration aquas don't have that grey undertone of the wall color that's showing up on my computer.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Ok, now I am thoroughly confused and apologize AGAIN! I thought you were asking for paint color for the oval table... This is what insomnia does to you. Signing off now, sorry!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its ok. LOL! I was like, 'Why she being mean?' The rug is a necessary evil. My floors are ugly and need to be replaced in that area. The kids also push the table around on the floor (3 wild kids 8-2) So it keeps it from sliding into the walls and windows or walking space. (So many stubbed toes) I hope to change the chairs to whites when I have the chance.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

FWIW, I think your floors are fine! They are neutral tile, easy care and clean and uncluttered looking. If you have kids, rugs under tables are your enemy, or maybe my children were just especially messy!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, My kids don't spill much, but they like to slide that table around. The tiles look ok from afar, but up close they are a 70s-80s want to look like stone with fake 'cut stone' sections. Its awful! LOL

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Love the turquoise table! Such a happy and fresh accent color. I can see why you'd want to paint the chairs white, but I kind of like the contrast of the dark chairs with the light tones in your room. Either way, very pretty!

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

I love the color too, and will look stunning once you get the chairs painted white. Since you do have a fair amount of white in the room, are you thinking of putting some pads with colorful fabric on the chair bottoms?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Nice color and a really nice paint job...looks very professional!

• loribee
    11 years ago

"I don't know, some thing is saying I need to paint the chairs white."

Yes!! Pretty chair pads too! :)
    Such a cheerful room!

• vanillafields
    11 years ago

I LOVE IT! Very beautiful light aqua, maybe the chairs gray? Like darker than the wall, not to take away the fresh accent color of the table. I have a used table that I'm going to paint too, do you mind sharing your technique? (sanding/no sanding, priming, what kind of paint, any clear coats?) - the prospect of painting my table scares me a bit, I've only done small painting and staining jobs... Yours looks very professional!

• msrose
    11 years ago

Ok, you sold me on painting the chairs when you said "pretty chair pads". I can see something really colorful and funky that ties the green from your walls with the blue of the table.

• indygo
    11 years ago

Love the aqua and love your wall color! Good choices.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

The "new" chairs go with the table style much better than your Queen Annes. I'd use all four of them.
    Love the aqua blue table!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am thinking of sewing a white and green chair pad for them, and painting them white. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: How I did it!

• User
    11 years ago

Hey! You did a good job! I didn't see your post about my table after I posted the pictures, sorry. The top of our table had a weird layer on it too and it did require a lot of sanding. I think what you did looks good too though.

Better late than never (sorry again) but the white on the hutch is Cottage White (Behr) Very creamy and pretty in person.

Can I make a suggestion for the chairs?? Paint them a color. Like the blue in the vase on the credenza or a bit lighter or a soft green like the walls only darker. I think having the table all white and then the chairs all white will be too much and you'll need some color to help break it up a bit.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I LOVE the table color.. I came to the thread late and when I saw your room color and the inspiration photos, the turquoise and aquas spoke to me--the were yelling and waving their arms! lol. I was so excited to scroll down and see your choice and finished product!

I like the wood tone chairs-- would like black too.. but the white chairs with green pad covers will be fun! What a great project.. and great inspiration as I am in the process of redoing my dining room on the cheap (and now I want a turquoise table!!)

• User
    11 years ago

Wow I could swear the table was white when I originally looked at the photos. I was in a hurry and couldn't tell it was blue until I went back and took another look. Sorry!!! Monitors and lighting do that! I didn't read all the responses but noticed a couple said, great color when I was scrolling down. I thought, yeah it looks great but it's still white! Now it all makes sense! I still think it looks nice though and you did a great job! LOL

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator