Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Sneak preview

oceanna
16 years ago

Remember when we had that conversation about my entry hall? I'm working on my stained glass window for above the door.

Because the area is so hard to access, I went to Lowes and bought Plexiglas to do the window on, and then I'll have to figure out how to get it put in place.

Then I spent several days working on the design. The designs for my bathroom window and the dragonfly I did for my son really jumped out at me pretty fast, but not this one. The center of the window is an adaptation on a design originally done by Tiffany that I've loved for many years. Anyway, I had to work hard on this one and it's definitely a one of a kind. It's in a really prominent place and not only will I be looking at it every day, but my neighbors will be able to see it too, at least at night whenever I have the hall light on. I'm not sure how well it will show up outside during the day. But that made me especially nervous and indecicive about it.

Once I had the design completed, I emailed it to Staples and they printed it out full size for me. It's 36" tall and 65" wide. It's too big for my round DR table, so I have to work it on the floor on my hands, knees and elbows, stretched out in all sorts of awkward positions trying not to smear what I just completed that's still wet (this stuff takes about 24 hours to cure). I'm hurting in places where I didn't even know I had places.

I have finally finished the leading (HOORAY!) and added the jewels. I just added the first band of color -- a red, berry, and terracotta I mixed as I went. :) I'll have to see how that looks after it dries. Crossing my fingers. I'm hoping the red will pick up on my red sofa (and chair) as both the window and the furniture will be visible at the same time.

Here's a sneak preview, please pardon the shadows.

{{!gwi}}

Whoops! I see where I missed a place. Isn't it funny what you can see in photos that you miss in real life?

So... what do you think?

Comments (58)

• robynpa
    16 years ago

That is just so fantastic!!!

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Fabulous!!!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone! You give me confidence to go on. Nobody has seen it yet but you and me. I deliberated hard over whether to make it traditional or more modern, symmetrical or asymmetrical, detailed, or more plain. It's good to know you like it even though it's "old fashioned."

Les,

That was my original plan, but due to the size of Plexiglas the hardware store had, it's 3" shy in both directions. That means it needs to be centered with 1.5" on each edge. So I'm thinking about a way to prop it up on 1.5" wood painted white to match the window sill, with a 1/4" extra lip behind that to keep it from falling out backwards, and repeat that on the top and the sides. I'm sure open to any other ideas.

Mistyhayes,

You could do this! They make ready-made patterns for windows that are very pretty. All you'd need to do is trace and go.

Funkyart,

I thought about freehanding it and scanning it -- that probably would have been easier than fighting it pixel by pixel like I did. I did it all in Jasc Paintshop Pro 9 because that's all I have. That makes it tough as it's not even set up to draw a straight line and slanted or curved lines are a super challenge. I don't have a graphics tablet, just a mouse. If anyone knows of a good drawing program, I'd love to hear about it, as Paintshop is just a photo program.

Punamy,

It's Gallery Glass products from Michaels, though when working on the horizontal, as I am with this, I also use Maribu paints (www.windowbutterflies.com). I like their liquid leading better and their paints spread better and have vivid colors. GG paints are the way to go for doing vertical work, though. I have some of each brand, so I mix them by just grabbing whatever color I want but only when working horizontally.

For the long straight lines I use Redi Lead (peel and stick) and I hand-pipe the other lines from liquid leading. With my bathroom window I used Redi Lead for the entire thing which makes it very perfect, but very time-consuming. You can put your nose right on that window so I was ridiculously perfectionistic about it. This one will be way up high so not subject to such close scruitiny.

Are you considering doing some of these for your home? I keep hoping some of you will try this.

• jjam
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

That is incredible. I have to go pick up my jaw; it dropped on the floor when I saw your window! It must be so satisfying to create something so beautiful. You should be so proud of it.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Wow! That is amazing. Way to go!!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

That is spectacular!

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

Oceanna, that is spectacular! You are such a go-getter! You inspire so many of us!

• Lyban zone 4
    16 years ago

That is a beautiful window.
    Can you post your bathroom window, I never saw it.
    It must be so nice to have things in your home that you have created yourself.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lyban, thanks. Here is my bathroom window and the window I did for my son next to his front door (with apologies to those who are sick of seeing these pics)...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    16 years ago

I am absolutely stunned that you did your design in PSP with a mouse. I don't know a lot about graphics programs but I know people who do. Let me ask around and do some digging.

I would LOVE to give gallery glass a try.. I also want to do some glass etching. I have 1-2 months off this summer so if I get all my house projects done maybe I can play with glass! You have inspired me :)

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Wow.. how could anyone be tired of looking at your windows? I love them all-- but the dragonfly really speaks to me. Gorgeous!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Funky, I'm so glad I inspired you! I'd love to see some of you folks play with this craft as it's so gratifying. You can start by making simple clings (JoAnns has the cling material), or do something on Plexiglas, or just do what I did and start on a window. One thing I really like about this is it gives you the choice of how much of the window you want to see through clearly and how much you want "frosted."

I think glass etching could be fun. I tried it once in the past with cream and it didn't work well, but maybe the cream is better nowadays. It must be as people buy it. Maybe some day I'll play with that.

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

oceanna, looking at your talent is like watching those 500
    balloons let loose. Really....I'm in awe of your beautiful
    work.

Linda

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Beautiful work, Oceanna!

• User
    16 years ago

Oh Oceanna, what an amazing ability you have . A gift...thank you for sharing it. c

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

Gawgeous! Wanna come to my house and do one for me? ;>

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

What a marvelous talent you have!!! All of them are beautiful.

Can't wait to see your finished product! Bet it will be a masterpiece.

DL

• loribee
    16 years ago

Such a treat to see! These are truly amazing.... :)

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

now, I remember you promised me one of these if I came on by to help you concrete stain....After seeing your design, I think a cross country trip to do so is in my best interest:-) It's gorgeous! And the color you mixed is perfect. It's going to go so well with your sofa! It's so great that you are so inspired...Seeing your work this am put me in a great mood, on two hours of sleep. Thank you!

• mry193
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I'm so glad you are sharing this with us now and not waiting until it's all finished. I love your design! It is going to be so perfect in your home!
    Just one thing is bothering me ... I'm sure we are of a similar age and I can not imagine painting all that while on hands and knees. OUCH! There must be a way to get this up off the floor. Could you set a piece of plywood or anything of the right size onto your table that could support it? I think I'd take down a bathroom door and use it for support before I'd work on the floor for hours. lol And, how are you keeping the dogs away from the wet paint? :)
    Thanks for sharing! And good luck, can't wait to see it over your door for you and all your the neighbors to enjoy.

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

I did something similar long time ago. The design was very simple, nothing what you have done. It was for the kitchen cabinets, we made a row of tiny cabs above the regular uppers and all of them had glass doors that I painted with glass paint. At that time the product was not very real looking (almost 20 years ago). I am glad it has improved so much.
    Keep us posted with your progress. I always like the process posts the best. :)

• valzone5
    16 years ago

Wow - gorgeous!!!! I have noticed Gallery Glass in the stores many times, but never felt the urge to give it a shot....until now. You have inspired me!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Oceanna, Your finished windows are just beautiful and this new one you're working on is going to look fabulous in your entry hall! They make me smile just looking at them. Please continue to show us more pictures of your work. I can't imagine getting tired of seeing them.

Oh, BTW, I found a gorgeous antique/ vintage brass floor lamp the other day I'm thinking about getting for the family room. When I saw it, I immediately thought of you.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Wow, they're so beautiful!!

• User
    16 years ago

oceanna!! it's beautiful!!!

now come do my french doors... :)

• brutuses
    16 years ago

oceanna, I'm late seeing this post as I haven't been on the board that much. I get a blank white screen where you posted the first photo. Can you e-mail it to me, if it's not too much trouble? Thanks

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Funkyart,

Thanks for saying you'll look around at what's out there in programs... I'm just out of touch with that now that I'm out of the work world. I figure if I knew what to buy I'd look on eBay for an older cheaper version of it. But I don't. I lvoe the dragonfly too and was tempted to do one on my transom, but then decided I'd keep doing different things for a while instead of doing repeats.

Linda,

What a great thing to say! :D

Pesky,

No, but I'll coach you through doing your own. You ready?

Decorpas,

As I recall, you talked of a trellis over the garage? lol! You sound pretty doggoned talented yourself.

Mari,

I hear ya, but this is the way it has to be. I work on it for a little while and then try to get up and walk -- a video of me doing that would probably make a funny movie. I have boxes piled up to keep the dogs out of the living room while I get this done. I think this is a one-time shot for me -- the biggest window I'll work on. And yeah, ouch.

Punamy,

I'm not surprised you did something like this, you're so crafty and clever yourself. Kitchen cab fronts is a great application for this craft.

Val,

Go for it! Where in your home are you imagining it?

Linnie,

Thanks, and please send the lamp. ;)

Sheesharee,

YOU do your doors! Have you looked at the available patterns in Michaels?

Brutuses,

You've got mail.

Everyone else,

Thanks for your kind comments!

Well, I didn't like the way a lot of my leading has come out, so I've been replacing a lot of it -- this time working in the day when visibility is better. Funny about how that ol' sunshine stuff works, huh? I also did a few leaf tips, but nothing to re-photo yet.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Now this is crazy. I received the photo by way of e-mail and now I'm back in this thread and bam, there the picture is now!! OK, I'm going lie down now. LOL

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's the first time my artwork has made anyone say they have to go lie down. :/

• valzone5
    16 years ago

A friend of mine moved into the apartment above mine and there's a window right over the clawfoot tub and it would be the perfect spot for me to try it. I think I'll try it on a piece of framed glass/plexiglass and hang it inside the window frame. He'll love it - he's always wanted to try making stained glass, so maybe this will kick-start him :O)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a great idea, Val! I noticed in Michaels the other day that they have plexiglas already in frames... maybe something like that would work perfectly for you? I'll bet your friend will always treasure it. And because it's individually framed, he can always keep it. We'll want pictures, of course! :)

• valzone5
    16 years ago

I never even thought of that - he'd be able to take it with him when he leaves. We don't have a Michaels yet, but it's coming this summer. Of course, there is one abut 1.5 hrs away....hmmm...I smell a road trip :O)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Val, if you're going to work horizontally, try www.windowbutterflies.com to order what you need. Your local hardware store should cut Plexi any size you want. What size are you thinking?

• valzone5
    16 years ago

I am going to get the window measurements this weekend.

If I have a hardware store cut the glass, wouldn't I need special tools to make a frame for it? There are no craft stores in this whole city, believe it or not. The craft section at Walmart is it for resources.

• Lyban zone 4
    16 years ago

Oceanna,
    I am so inspired by your work. I am also not very quick at catching on to things I guess. If it is not too much trouble could you explain the process from the beginning. In very laymans terms.LOL

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

. . . tap, tap, tap . . . I'm trying not to be too impatient or pushy but I'm kind of waiting to see more pics of your beautiful things, Lady. Get out that camera will you? You seem to be living in a jewel box of cool things.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Val,

You're going to make it smaller and hang it in the window, right? I haven't quite figured out the best way to do that. With real SG they put a metal frame around it and solder it. You can see pics of eBay ones. Whatever you do, you'd want a frame that's attractive front and back I think, right? Ask at the hardware store then.

Lyban,

1. Find or make a pattern.
    2. Transfer your pattern to the glass with transfer paper or tape your pattern behind the glass (only on single-pane).
    3. Make the leading lines, either by applying peel and stick or pipe them from a bottle.
    4. Fill in the areas between the lines with paint you pipe directly out of the bottle.

There are videos and books about it, as well as directions that come with kits. See Michaels and ask for their Gallery Glass section. See the little video on www.windowbutterflies.com.

Lynn,

You've seen all my windows. I think the only gorgeous thing in my house is your imagination, hon. :)

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for posting and inspiring me as always!

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

That is just too cool! I had no idea Gallery Glass could look so good - I had a picture in my head that it was a poor knock-off (well in my hands it probably would be!) but those pieces are really stunning.

• creekylis
    16 years ago

Wow... Really wonderful and such a great idea! You're giving me ideas too as I have been looking for a unique way to add some privacy in my 22" wide sidelight... hmmmmmm......

• happyintexas
    16 years ago

I am so inspired! Thanks for sharing your design and all the tips. I will be hunting up some material by summer. This looks like a dandy project for the hot, hot days of summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

oceanna~I love the design you came up with, and will never tire of seeing photos of your talented creations!

I like the idea of putting a door on sawhorses or something to work on this piece, my knees would be killing me.

This one will go perfectly with your lady picture in the hallway, it has the same style. Very tasteful.

The PO did something like GG in a border around a plain wood-framed mirror in our powder room. It looked very nice for several years, but its peeling on the edges now, I think someone must have sprayed glass cleaner on it by accident? How do you clean yours?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anele, thanks, you should try it!

Dlm, I think even the samples they show and photograph in the store are awful looking. You need to play with it a bit I think, to make it look more authentic. Blending 2-3 colors helps. Also, don't over-blend/stir it once you've applied it. You want it to dry smoother.

Creekylis, go for it! You can do color, or it would even look good in crystal clear, which is easy to do, and you could imbed in crystal clear jewels, too. On my son's window the center section is clear -- and you can see shadow/form through it, but not detail. It still lets in all the light, of course.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I want that.

Red

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

How did I miss this thread until now? I cannot stop drooling ... your work is absolutely stunning! Well done, and I can't wait to see the latest finished project!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Red, do you want it bad enough to try it for yourself? Knowing you can do it any time you wish is worth so much. I'll be happy to be whatever help I can to anyone here who wants to try it.

Auntjen, thanks! How about your doing one?

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

I've been away, glad I am finally seeing this. It's gorgeous
    and will look wonderful in the hall window.
    Great job.

Joann

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Whoooeeee! Nice work!
    I'm stunned you did that in PSP. I use PSP too and drawing any kind of smooth line is one tough trick. Wow!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have a window with your name on it...

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

How is your window coming along?