Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Sconce-scapades

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

So, here we go again. I chose sconces for the mirrored panel over the LR fpl, 90 days ago. Ordered them and even had to wire sterling to the mfr (UK). Today I am told they made a mistake, these cannot be re-wired for use in the US.

They were a knockoff of this one, which I will not buy because they are $3800 each, and probably too heavy for the spot I plan to hang them (cast bronze and gold plated!) Plus, they are kind of a frisky choice for me and I could easily hate them down the road, KWIM?

{{!gwi}}

So, what to do. The room is a little eclectic, and I like it that way. These sconces did not "match" anything and need not. Here is the room, as a reminder. The sconces will be mounted on aged mirror over the fpl.

Sooooo, I feel like I am kind of flailing here. Usually I have a much clearer style for a room and my choices narrow down pretty quickly. But I have a lot going on in this room. Neocolonial, ikat, pacific, batik, Delft,arggh.

I am drawn to the simplicity of these, and I think the slightly distressed finish echoes the chandy. The circle echoes the Chinese medallion on the chest (mine in on a TV cab)

These are a consolation prize for those of us who want the coral: (with a cream shade though)

These last ones are boring but I like all the light

WWYC?

Comments (63)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Localeater, thanks!

EastTx, those are fun! I say yes, esp if they are not crazy spendy.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I like 1 and 3. Maybe because they echo the circle design in the chandy (esp #1), but the simplicity appeals to me, plus the light value of both. Sorry the Brit sconces didn't come thru for you.

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

MTN not sure where you were trying to purchase from I found this at a website insyle décor 16" inches tall $395 it appears they sell in the U.S. and it looks like the original

of the other choices I really like the first one

Here is a link that might be useful:

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mtn'dux, similar, but don't known about the dimensions. Sure a lot less!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sconce

• Sms
    9 years ago

Maybe something like this. From Barnlight Electric. Not sure they go with the chandelier but seem to work with the andirons.

This post was edited by zeitgast on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 22:13

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the porthole one, very much, and the simple circle design refers back to the circles of the chandelier.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Outside, thanks!

Patty, Joshua, Alas ... Those are exactly the ones I ordered, from the UK. After waiting 3 months, they tell me they can't be rewired for the US. It won't fit the thread or somesuch.

Zeit, maybe a little too heavy for the chandy ... oh and the andirons are from copying and pasting someone else's delft fpl; my fpl will be very diff as my (antique) tiles are very light. And I dont even recall if we have andirons. Sorry!

• bpath
    9 years ago

The porthole sconces are simple, classic and contemporary both, elegant, echo the chandelier, seem to work with everything, lovely to look at without screaming "look at me". Same with zeitgast's! Beautiful finish on it!

• geokid
    9 years ago

Of the three you posted, I love the porthole sconce.

Here is another option. Very different than the porthole, but it compliments your chandelier nicely.

Beaded Crystal Crown 2 Light Sconce

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bpathome, Currey should pay your for that description!

geokid, i like that finish!

I think I need to mock up the sizes and then decide...

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I wouldn't even hesitate.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I really like the port hole, but not sure how much it would stand out against the mirror.

For some reason, the one below might work, but our tastes are very different....and this has been discontinued but they say some are available in the store....

This one unfortunately has the nickel base, but I just love the blue glass.

This one is similar to your coral...perhaps sea grass?

White coral

They call this plantation but to me it reminds me of the traditional pineapple, symbol of welcome...

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage light

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the porthole sconce.

How disappointing on the coral sconce. It was fab. But the porthole will look great too!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mamorella. Hi Annie! I will have to go take a look at all those links.

I did a mockup. The mirror is much more aged than what I will probably use, and I am not 100% positive on the mirror msmst but I think I am very close.

What do people think? should i get something narrower? Will it look like two take out boxes stuck to the wall?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm a detractor on those, mtn. I think they look like rings and are a little TOO simple for your room.

However, I'm definitely in the minority here, so I'm going to assume others are seeing something in them I'm not.

As I said first, I really like that third one. Simple but elegant and I think they'd look amazing when turned on.

Also really like the one geokid put up because I think the style is perfect for your room.

And I really like the Bostonian sconce I put up, because they're elegant but simple, but also a flashback to the old gaslights.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see your point, Tibb. I am going to try a few more mockups.

Thanks!

• seww
    9 years ago

Why can't the coral sconces be rewired by a lighting store in the US? Have you investigated that option?
    Sue

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I also do think a more antique-y sconce, like geokid's or the gaslight, would look PERFECT on antiqued mirror and better than contemporary. Just mo, of course! Contemporary sconces, on the other hand, I think would do better on non-antiqued glass.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Mtn
    I really like the third one you posted.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seww, the UK seller does rewire things for the US. They mistakenly told me they could rewire these, but upon closer inspection they determined they could not, as the "cable will not fit thru the threading". I have ordered a lot of my lights from France and the UK, and i always check first to see if they can be rewired, so i know from experience that on some lights it is not workable.

Tibbrix; i think the slightly distressed finish on the rings makes it work with the (slightly distressed) antique mirror.

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

I've done a LOT of rewiring and there is virtually no fixture that can't be made to work with different wiring, down to replacing all the innards with metric vs imperial fittings. Must say that seems a bit odd to me. However, you can't make 'em do it, so c'est la vie.

I'm all for simple and period appropriate, so I'd choose something like these (and this is what I have in my house of the same style & era):
    (the following are all eBay auctions, click pic for link to auction.)

But it seems your soul yearns for something more ornate. Around here, of course the nautical style is big. (You know I'm right up the coast from you, in Portland.) We see a LOT of this type of sconce, would it work?

These would be stunning with the right glass shades:
    {{!gwi}}

Your chandelier has a deco feel to it, esp. with the mixed gold and silver, so perhaps something like this? I'd wager that these vintage 1930's sconces would work marvelously with it:

Hmmm. If tacky ain't a problem, try these!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I like this one!

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

Whups, here's another candidate. I'm kinda really digging this design with your chandy; they're Markel thus very well-made. $745 rewired for both:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, Thanks for all of those ideas! I might look for something with blue glass; cool. I don't think a nickel base would work as well as brass. Like the chandy, I think the silver tone of the mirror should be paired with a gold tone?

I have seen those other corals, but I think they look kind of anemic compared to the 3800 version!

So, I did a bunch of mockups since I started to realize the portholes are pretty wide. I think I may need something narrower ... I do think it should be a single light. Some ideas ....

(edited for actual mirror msmst from GC)

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 10:22

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like the brass better than the silver. Definitely single light.

I like the acanthus leaves...or whatever...next to the clam shell. Seems to be sleek enough to work with your chandy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree the white coral is wimpy, but wonder if you can spray paint it gold...though you'd still have the bare bulb issue...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, like that one jterrilynn put up.

Still like that third one of yours.

Geokid's

and of course, the Bostoniian gaslight-like one.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Mtn, I am sure that these sconces are not exactly what you want but not spendy and may work.

Here is a link that might be useful: coral wall sconce

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

Have you seen these? Zaniboni Lighting is the company, appears to be wired for U.S. about 15 1/2 inches tall Murano glass No price on the website but there is a number you can call for pricing

Here is a link that might be useful: Murano blue coral sconce

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know, Circuspeanut, I thought it was odd, too. But as I said, i have bought a lot (probably most) of my lights here in CT from sources in the UK and France, and they designate on their site which ones can be made for the US, and which ones can't. Moreover, I paid these guys funds 3 months ago, and they told me yesterday that they got the the sconces in, and they are UK wired, and they called the mfr (who they had checked with 3 months ago) and they were the ones who said it can't be done. For any price. So now they are wiring funds back to me. I don't think they would have gone through all of it if they really could wire them, which is why I avoided the temptation to buy them anyway and try to fix it here!

I never can remember who here are from Maine! Hi "neighbor"! When the house is ready for company maybe we should do lunch!

Let me take a look at all of those great ebay finds, thank you. I was leaning more modern, to try to offset the formal somber tone of the room. But it is hard to do!

Edited to add; I really like the third ones you showed, the antique brass? I emailed the seller for dimensions. Thanks!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 11:04

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly- kay,
    Those ARE the sconces I bought to mimic the wildly expensive ones; they cannot be wired for the US as per the mfr.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

To meâ¦although some of your picks are nice a few do not stand up to the quality and grandness of the fireplace. Sorry to say that I think that area needs a splurge. ItâÂÂs right out there as a huge focal point.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jterri, But I am knocking down the room's formality with a seagrass rug, batik sofa, etc. So I think a very traditional look doesn't work as well. Hence the tension. What do you mean by splurge? Do you mean bling or cost? Id like to keep them under $3000 total for both.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh crud! Sorry Mtn. Back to the drawing board eh?

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I mean that some of the picks do not look high qualityâ¦they look trendy and nice but not on the same quality wave length of the area they would live. So, unlike me who has to do a lot of shopping on CL I would if I were you maybe look on 1stdibs or some other sites with original artist works where you could get something very unique in the somewhat playful or casual look you seek. Because that area is so focal itâÂÂs also an area that will speak volumes on your decorating over all.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think they are all either from Circa or Currey. The ones pictured range from 400 to 800 a piece. Sometimes photos don't do things justice; eg the Hurricane is $660 and it is by Ralph Lauren. I've seen that line in person and it's pretty nice. In the mock up it is very unremarkable.

I haven't found anything of 1stDibs that I really liked , searching under $3000. As i rambled on in a prior post, lighting can get silly expensive and in hindsight I regret some of my lighting splurges here in my primary home. I feel I overindulged. I am trying not to be as wasteful this time.

But I do take your point about being a focal point. You just raised the ante!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Breaks my heart that you can't get the coral sconces! They are fantastic. Twigs from Horchow?

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow sconce

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

New sconce from Thomas O'Brien for Visual Comfort. Paloma had this on her blog report from Highpoint. I kinda think they are cool.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow, that blue one Annie put up is gorgeous.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are kind to look, but I think, having mocked up the mirror to scale, that i need something narrow, vertical and brass. Two of the ones I showed fit the bill; still looking for something special though.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

mtn, there is something very, very special about simplicity which is what makes it quite beautiful in a genteel sort of way.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, especially finely crafted in quality materials.

Simplicity drew me to my first choice, the porthole. But I think the proportions are wrong.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Contemporary, goes with your chandy

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love this oneâ¦different, fun, and probably reflects light amazingly.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Maybe has more of the whimsy you're looking for?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Have you seen this one? I can't remember why I saved it...perhaps from one of your or someone else's threads. I think it also is also available through Visual Comfort.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Ok, you will have to look quickly at this, it's on Joss & Main.

11" wide.

Maybe it could be a "sea urchin?" I dunno, but I like it

Here is a link that might be useful: J&M sconce

• geokid
    9 years ago

This one appeals to me for your room.

Shades of Light

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Mtn, on the post with the mock up's you did I like the 2ond and 4th picture left hand sconse in both.

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor