Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Do you like any of these lights for my kitchen?

chloenkitty
10 years ago

Here is a pic of the kitchen I am replicating in our new build. I am trying to buy some things here and there to help not have all the expense at once and also, to get some things off my very full new build plate. It will have the island and the banquette, so I am posting two styles of lighting I like so far for over the island and banquette. The floors will also be hardwood, but a bit darker and hand scraped wide plank. Let me know if you like either of these styles and, of course I am up for suggestions. I am a sucker for bling and also like mini chandeliers over islands, but my dining room will have a restoration hardware chandelier, so I don't know if I'd want chandeliers in here as well.
Thank you

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:24

Comments (13)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one style I like so far for over banquette

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The matching pendant for over island

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other style I like for over banquette

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Matching pendant for over island

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Just to mess with you, I'd suggest doing the first one for over the banquet, but the second pendants for over the island.

Gorgeous kitchen inspiration. Can't wait to see pics of yours when it's done.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I like the pendants over the island; do not like the chandy over the table.

One warning re: clear-glass pendants and chandeliers: Lightbulbs are changing, so you want to make sure you can get good looking LED, etc., bulbs, not those pig-tail things and other clunky bulbs.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Just a quick point - you are not replicating that kitchen if you are changing things in it.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

For the first style, I wouldn't want clear glass. It shows dust too much. And the chandelier is too formal looking for a kitchen. Like the second style much better.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Kind of on topic. Tib, I had to change the light over the kitchen sink last week, and all I had were those pigtail lights. It screwed in just fine, but the tail is hanging down a bit under the light. LOL.

So I ditto what Tib said.

Before buying your fixtures, make sure they go with the decor scheme you'll have. Picking out fixtures was one of the funnest things I ever did. The choices!

• cvazqu
    10 years ago

First of all, I love that kitchen and drooled over it on houzz many times. The milk glass backsplash- loooooooooove.

Now, back to your new kitchen. Of the lights you've posted, the only one that I really like is the third one. But at 13" I wonder if it's big enough to use over the banquette?

I don't think you have to have the fixtures totally match, by the way. In fact, I personally prefer that the fixtures complement each other but be a little different. Just my opinion.

Picking light fixtures is so hard! I spent so many days and nights trying to get the lights for our new house 'right'. I was obsessed! I think you are on the right track in seeking out things that appeal to YOU (bling, etc.).

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chilibeans, that's how option 2 is. The pendants for over the island are kind of long and the one that would go over the banquette is round and bigger, but the same light, just different shapes. I'm a sucker for bling and like a little glamour so I'm not afraid to put something special in the kitchen.

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

I personally prefer the ones in the photo - the light over the banquette is from West Elm - but I also do like the first light you posted if you could find a slightly simpler light over the bar? Like Chilibeans I like to avoid too much matching, though my own kitchen/table lights wound up fairly similar.

Remember that the purpose is for you to find the kitchen that YOU like, in which case I recommend that you just make sure proportions are right and then go with whichever one you like best. If bling makes you happy, go for it!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Glass and crystals require constant cleaning. It has to be done daily in winter because of the heating system. In the spring because of the pollen, you will want to tear your hair out. In the fall, things are dying back and going to seed with golden rod aglow and blowing in the house. Maybe around July, it gets better but Autumn is lurking.