Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (15)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love the sofa and the pantry cabs!

That bookshelf is just plain bizarre! Creative!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Lovely! Especially noticed the ceiling in huge contemporary living room, the chandelier in the butler pantry, the kids clmbing wall, the sofa painting, the beautiful exterior color combos :)

Thanks for sharing!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

The facade is beautiful but once you step inside, it's too much stark juxtaposition of colors and elements. The LR, DR and butler pantry are relaxing areas but get past that and it begins to make me wish I had a drink or realize that I had too much. There is just too much of the designer(s) wanting to be edgy to the point of absurdity, JMHO.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

It seems much more approachable and conservative than the SF house (which makes sense regionally).

Is it just me or are bathtub and kitchen faucets getting obscenely large? Vanity faucets are starting to look like tub faucets and tub faucets well, do they Really need to be that big?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It does seem more approachable and in many ways, livable, compared to the SF house. It is conservative, almost to a fault in some areas. The brown bath to me comes off a bit generic.

I love the color of the Butler's pantry but that island/table makes no sense at all to me. Too narrow to safely hold things and a big obstacle. Plus, it seems to emphasize the off-center window. I really like the bookcase; it adds a sense of whimsy. I also like the pool dressing room, with a dynamic floor and a dose of period color with a great framing of the view into the next area.

This post was edited by gooster on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 21:34

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting, NoSoccer.

I love the first five photos.

I think I love the LR best, the silver and gold theme going on. Really pretty and only a little bit different. Totally doable, totally livable.

I also like the touch of malachite in the DR, and the wallpaper.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting...some of the rooms are "interesting". Love the colors in the butler's pantry!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Below is a link to an article with some comments by the designers and to more rooms --- with voting. Interesting to see which rooms get the most votes.

Entry

Pantry

Powder Room

LR

Master Bath

Kitchen

Library? No Books!

Here is a link that might be useful: More DC Show House with vote counts

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Love the "alligator" glass in the MBA. Very nice.

HUGE thumbs down for the lime/purple/orange entry with the hideous painting and ridiculous chair set up. Shudder

Pantry is great but seems like they got a great space to start with, too.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Very pretty for the most part. I think the bookcase is bizarre too. What's the point?

Not a fan of edginess like that in decorating- is it just to show how cool and hip you are?

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Also I don't like the placement of the bench in front of the house. It seems like they don't really have a place for a bench and they should just accept that.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting, NSM. I enjoyed the tour. It is very interesting in most respects. Loved the kids room, the living room, and the butler's pantry especially. And then the green and white bedroom was very nice. There were other small elements here and there but the foyer, some of the bathroom features, library, office and master bedroom just left me cold.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Love the pantry, although there's more floor space than storage space.

I find it odd that the secondary bathrooms have more storage than the master bath. I understand it's for "show" but there's nowhere to put anything in there!

I liked how the heat radiators were incorporated into each room's design. I've never lived in a home that had them, but always thought they'd be a challenge to work around.

The exterior is fantastic. Love the stone, pergola and landscaping.

Nancybee, my first thought of the bench at the front of the house was that it was for the convenience of tour-goers who need a place to sit to put on those "footies" before entering. Or, I hope that's why it's there. ;-)

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Thanks, nosoccermom!

I agree the placement of the chairs in the entry is just odd. And there is just a few too many things going on there.

Did anyone notice something missing in the first picture of the commode? (no TP)

The pantry table looks much better from this view; the other shot made it looks so long and skinny, to the point of being unstable.

The last bedroom strikes a better balance between distinctive design and approachability. Interestingly, the bed posters (which I really like) are vaguely reminiscent of the SF house. I like the niches in Photo 11 -- a very monochromatic look but very interesting take on the typical bookcases and niches; I like how the extra ottomans slide away.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More:

Kitchen/Breakfast room

Family Room (again, no books in this house?)

Pool bath/dressing room

Library bar

More of the LR

The dislikes on the voting:
    The entry
    purple bathroom
    office
    master bedroom
    bathroom with the wild wallpaper

Top vote getters:
    the pantry
    breakfast room