Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspann24

Granite Color in Kitchen

JSpann
9 years ago

This is cross posted in Kitchens...

This is for a spec home we're building to sell...
Which means, Grade A is the budget :) (womp womp! not nearly as fun!)

That said, here is the scheme - alabaster cabinet color, warm wood floors, stainless appliances... no island (ended up knixing it because of space). Satin nickel fixtures/pulls. (all three pics of the same thing... just making sure it is clear!)

Would you prefer the St. Cecilia Light (small sample)... something mid-dark like this Caledonia (the larger piece), or going dark like Black Pearl (not pictured)? I like the idea of the light color... but wonder if it might be too 'warm' for the cooler neutral we'd like to accomplish.... so maybe the black is the better option?

I plan to put a 'griege' on the walls (maybe revere pewter... or maybe a little more gray... gray owl, something in that range).

Backsplash is yet to be determined... I'll go there AFTER the granite is chosen! There is a window over the sink that leads to a small covered porch.

Thanks for any opinions you have to offer!

Comments (12)

• JSpann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the back of the house - siding is just being installed. It is Iron Grey w/bright white trim. Just to give an idea of the "feel" of the house!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think St. Cecilia is pretty common, so I would be more inclined to go with Caledonia. Black Pearl would be my third choice.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I am a honed fan so I would do Black Pearl honed. I think it would look great. My second choice would be the St. Cecilia. I agree it is more common but I think the Caledonia is too...something. Not sure how to word it. I think the St. Cecilia and the Black Pearl would look sophisticated and luxurious. The Caledonia doesn't look as "fancy" to me.

This probably makes no sense! But there you have it.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I think the St Cecilia's has more character than the Caledonia. The Black Pearl is my least favorite because it will show every water drop and crumb.

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

St Cecilia. Yes, it's done a lot, but for a good reason. It seems to go with many styles and colorings. I also agree that the Black Pearl is too dark, although I do love it when I see it in someone elses home. Just too dark for my personal everyday taste. The other one does seem a little bland, but I would use it 2nd over Black Pearl.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I have no idea what is common or not in granite, but I like the lighter St. Cecilia. I think it looks nice with your other colors, and to me would not show every little smudge like the very dark black would. The middle color is . . . meh.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I prefer Caledonia.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I'd choose St. Cecilia. For me, the caledonia is too harsh, for lack of a better word. I have black granite and like the black pearl but it may be more likely to generate objections (too hard to keep looking clean, too dark, too dated) than St. Cecelia.

• artemiss
    9 years ago

By itself, I like the StC, but the Caledonia looks better with the color of the wood floor. I think Caledonia also suits the general look of the house, which has strong and dramatically contrasting tones on the exterior.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have Blue Pearl and I have Absolute Black. Blue Pearl is fine and does not show a lot of water stain, toothpaste stain, baby powder stain but Absolute Black shows every drop of water, salt, spice, cleanser, anything that touches it. Never, never, never, never again would I choose Absolute Black. Love Blue Pearl. Know nothing about Black Pearl, but it could be fine if it is similar to Blue Pearl.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I vote St Cecelia light.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Another vote for St. Cecelia. It has much more range of color and warmth. Caledonia is pretty but looks cold and harsh to me as well, and I think it would be very limiting to the grey ranges of any other color within the room.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company