Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP - paint color for this area

Posted by angiein (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 18:05

We're remodeling and the foyer, living room and great room is 1,300 sq ft. and open concept. I'm doing the entire house contemporary and want colors in the grey or brown tones, but I'm open to any suggestions you might have other than colors above. Ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP - paint color for this area

This is very broad...and paints are the easiest things to match, so you may want to start with something else first...rug, sofa, upholstered pieces, artwork...some inspiration piece. Then you can draw the colors from that or that blend with that. Otherwise you'll be dealing with maybe 50 shades of gray and brown each with no way to decide.

o

Thanks Annie. The problem is that we don't have any furniture for these areas at the present time and the contractor needs to paint as soon as he's finished with the remodeling part. You are right, if I had a rug, sofa, etc. I could pick colors from that. I'm thinking of putting brown leather sofas in the family room/great room and light color in the living room area. Have pops of color with chairs, cushions, paintings, etc.

o

You have asked an almost impossible question - paint choice is determined by the space and the choice of the people who have to live there. Maybe what you are looking for are popular colors. There are lists of the most popular colors, and the paint websites often list them. Here is one from Ben Moore than might help:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore fav colors

o

Thank you so much. I see a couple colors I really like and this is start.

o

These are my favorite tans and gray, you might like one or two. My very favorite is Smokey taupe as it is a cross between the two colors and blends with most other colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: neutral grays and tan

o

One of my favorite HGTV shows was always Designed to Sell with Sabrina Soto, because rather than looking over the top, her rooms were neutral to appeal to many people. With that in mind, these Benjamin Moore colors may go well with your tastes and furniture, too:

http://sabrinasoto.com/faq.cfm
Bennington Gray
Shaker Beige
Shenandoah Taupe
Bleaker Beige
Dry Sage
Silver Fox
Manchester Tan

And specifically her favorite beiges:

http://sabrinasoto.com/blog.cfm?blogID=17

Light-
Natural Linen
Manchester Tan
Shaker Beige
Nature's Essentials (green undertones)
Elmira White
Edgecomb Gray (green undertones)

Medium-
Bennington Gray

o

I recently used BM Grant Beige and I'm very happy with the color. More of a greige. You can google and see some photos of this color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here