Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy518

My newly painted hutch...pics!

tammy518
14 years ago

A while back I posted about colors I was considering for a hutch I had bought on Craigslist. I finally settled on BM Fieldstone, and I love it! We also had a piece of Calcutta marble cut to fit the top.

Comments (35)

• holrbak
    14 years ago

That turned out great!!!!

• tammy518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meant to post a before pic. Here it is. A bit of a change, huh? Please ignore the extremely messy garage! We're in the process of reorganizing it.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Wow, you did a great job, it turned out great.

• kswl2
    14 years ago

You gave that old piece a new lease on life, and it looks happy! Great job, and I LOVE the marble, Tammy :)

• jesemy
    14 years ago

Wow, Tammy, what a beautiful job! The color and marble look wonderful together!

• tammy518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone! To me the paint and marble just give it a whole new look and it fits in with my casual French Country dining room.

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

WOW! It's beautiful. What an amazing change!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Unrecognizable.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Nice job! Enjoy it!

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Wow! You have great vision! Adding the marble really makes the whole piece a standout!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Great job, it looks so much nicer! I would have passed right by that piece in it's "before" state, and look how pretty it is now!

• User
    14 years ago

Beautiful !!! I love when the "old" gets a " new " look...you did great !! c

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

What a wonderful piece, great idea putting the marble top.

• loribee
    14 years ago

How lovely!!!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Oh my. If I saw that in a store I'd pay big bucks for it. If I could afford it. lol. Fantastic color, so clean looking and not the typical white (which I'm doing, heh), and so vintage/farm!

Love your tureens! I have one bought in France I might display when my hutch is finished. Thanks for the idea!

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Beautifully done (wildly clapping!). I love it when folks repurpose things and not only create silk purses out of sow's ears, but have the vision and skills to do so. And the marble top...well, that's just the icing on the cake. G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!

• User
    14 years ago

Very nice! I think the marble on the top really sets it off. Love your soup tureens!

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

Wow - that is seriously impressive! I love painted furniture and have done a few pieces myself - I try to have vision when choosing pieces but I'm not sure I would have been able to envision that one! Great job - and the marble top is a perfect touch!!!

• enailes
    14 years ago

Just amazing and wonderful job! I love the color and your display just sets it off.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Congratulations. You did a splendid job and for that you should be so proud of yourself, the money you saved by salvaging this wonderful piece of furniture and giving it a new life that could not be given to a piece in any of the Indian or Chinese sweat shops in the Middle/Far East.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Wow - I can't believe the transformation! So pretty, and even prettier with your china displayed. Great job!

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Wow! That is gorgeous. Please give us the steps. Did you prime first and with what?
    Latex paint or another finish?
    Can I be crass and ask approx. price of marble?
    Thanks

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Very cool. I'd also like to hear about the steps you took and the products you used. The old hinges seem to disappear. Did you paint right over them? Any problems with that?

I painted a hutch a couple of years ago. It looks great...if you don't look to closely. Mine also has that grooved board in the back, which was a real pain to paint.

Good job!

• tnorman
    14 years ago

Okay Tammy - painting my hutch has moved up a couple of notiches on my "must do" list! Stunning transformation. Thanks for sharing!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

So pretty! Would you share how much you picked the piece up for on CL, just out of curiousity. You'd have paid a small fortune for what you've got now.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To answer some of your questions, we paid $300 for the hutch and about $600 (ouch!) for the marble. Hubby "roughed" it up just a bit with sandpaper, then primed, then painted. We're out of town right now and he can't remember the primer and paint exactly, but we can post that tomorrow. I'm just so pleased with how this turned out!

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Tammy

Great job! Love it - I noticed it on the show me your hutch post - Stunning piece I did similiar w/an old chest for our master bath

BTW I am lusting after those plates - are they Herend?

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

I don't know the name - but there is a primer you can buy that takes the sanding step out of painting furniture. I buy painted furniture from a local shop that does cottage-y shabby chic kind of decor, and when I bought the first piece there I asked the owner (who does alot of the painting) what the steps were so I could do a dresser and dry sink that I had. I followed her directions and the pieces I've done came out great.

I just looked in the garage but the paint can isn't there - I think we took it to our Newport house b/c we're doing painting there. But I bought it at a paint store (not a big box store's paint department) and I'm sure any paint store with qualified workers would be able to point you in the right direction.

• kellyeng
    14 years ago

Wow, fantastic transformation. That really takes a lot of vision!

• tammy518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jejvtr, your painted chest is beautiful, and I love the crystal knobs. And, yes, the plates are Herend. I've only got four plates and then some really small little pieces in the Herend, but I'm forward to building my collection as time goes on.

Linelle, yes, we painted over the hinges.

• ilovetn
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful piece! You've given me some new inspiration.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the specifics on the paint we used. BM Aura Waterborne interior paint, satin finish. Insl-x Stix Waterborne bonding primer (this was also purchased at BM).

• twizzis
    14 years ago

kpaquette, are you referring to Liquid Sand?

Tammy, the paint transformed totally and the introduction of the marble is just genius.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Great job - painting furniture is a 'talent'. What a change for the better.

Cheers
    Haley