Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are some good greens for exterior of house?

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 17:51

Our hardiplank just went on this week, and I need to think (agonize) over the paint. We'll have some stacked stone for accent--mixture of browns, charcoals, greenish-cast, golden tones....will go with about anything (Shawnee Mt. fieldstone); roof will be "weathered wood". I'm thinking of a green--earthy tone (nothing that will go "mint" on me!). Would like it about medium in tone (not too dark, not too light). Any suggestions for me to try?

Thanks!
Tracey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are some good greens for exterior of house?

traceyb-

Here's a last year's pic of our Hardi clad house, it's a pre-painted Hardi color that equivalent to BM Tate Olive, trim is Hardi Sailcloth and windows are Eagle Cinnamon Toast.

It pulls neither mint nor "Merry Freaking Christmas", just a nice, mossy green, however, we're in far NNY, so depending on your climate and light, YMMV.

Good luck-

sandyponder

Photobucket

o

Tate Olive is a great exterior color, as are any of the BM Historical colors that are gray leaning toward green.

o

Thanks...and for the pic, too. That would probably be right at "dark" for hubby's taste. It looks good with your rocks out front (which I can squint and envision being the stone on my house). I have some BM green chips around somewhere....think I'll go see if that's one of them.

o

sigh-sandyponder always gets me with that house....

o

I have SW Coastal Plains on my front door....it is a very light sage green color. We love it! It would definitely be light.

o

Here is BM "Heather Mist" with BM "Bordeaux" door...not sure if BM still makes Heather Mist or not

.new paint

o

I have been looking at different greens for my exterior but none have been working for me. Part of the issue is my roof color is weird (brown with bluish grey specs in it.)

I can't give any advice on colors but I wanted to post to suggest that you sample any color on your house. Don't look at a picture or a paint chip and make a decision on that alone. It is amazing to me how different it looks on an exterior. In an interior room the color bounces off the four walls and may look darker than the chip. On the exterior it looks so much lighter.

BTW, are you in MN? I have 14 samples that you could try. All greens, greys, taupes and a few dark blue-greys :)

o

I am building a shingle style house and have chosen BM "Carolina Gull" 2138-40 with cloud white trim and black accents. I am really happy with it as it does look like a soft grey/green in brighter light, but grey sometimes too. It was very hard to find a grey/green without it being too light and reading "minty" or too dark and reading Christmas. Good Luck!

o

I like the Heather Mist, too. Yep, gotta try out the colors before we pick. I'm scared the roof will change things for us, too. It's called "weathered wood" so it's a grayish browish color.

I'm in NC.

Thanks!
Tracey

o

I'm trying to decide my house color too and I'm glad I am painting a test color first. I tried coral and that wasn't right, here's my test color green on the front of my house which is called streambed, but I have now changed my mind and painted a tannish gold I'll post photos of that tomorrow. they used a medium base with the green color, but it would be lighter with a light base. I've used this color on several houses and like it a lot, but it just isn't quite right on this house, it shows as grey green in different lights. It looked the best on the house we had in the mountains with charcoal trim, no photos of that one though.

do you happen to like fire? if so I think I know you, Hi Tracey, I just moved to Florida

Photobucket

o

here are a couple pics of our house:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Body-SW Baltic Sage LL011
Trim-SW Cameo Lace LL002
Window trim (regular SW color)-Rookwood Dark Red SW2801

o

....do you happen to like fire? if so I think I know you, Hi Tracey, I just moved to Florida...

"fire" as in Fire & Ice? Otherwise, I just looked at your home page and see you moved from CA--sorry, don't know anyone there that's moved (we were previously in IL). BUT, I did notice we share the same birthday! Thanks for the pic. I'm wondering, too, if when we start to test paints if we'll end up with a different color instead of just a different shade.

Thanks, Bebetokids--I like that shade....on the list it goes. Is the trim color an off-white / cream? I'll be looking for that too :-) Would you mind sharing your roof color?

Thanks.

o

oh you're a different Tracey, beautiful house you have.

o

I just bought a green for my shutters and front door. No pics yet, though as painting has not happened yet. I got Valspar Smoky Olive 6001-2B (National Trust for Historic Preservation collection). If that's too dark, you can go up one to 6001-2A, Mark Twain House Olive. If you go to www.Valspar.com/painter, you can see them on different houses. They are on the Historic Colors tab.

o

Thanks, straitlover, I'll check out those colors, too (and the website).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here