Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Boca Raton -- Any Favorite Shopping?

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Heading down to Boca next week, just wondering if anybody has any great places I should check out. Would love to find a vintage furniture store, or something like that. I'll have some time to kill during the week when dh is at conference. I'm sure I could kill time at the pool or whatever, but why not venture out?

You know, consignment stores, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Bee

Comments (23)

• caminnc
    11 years ago

DD did her Interior Design internship at Robb & Stucky in Baco at Mizner Park. Robb & Stucky closed that store but Mizner Park has some wonderful shops as well as great places to eat. Interesting history as well. We love to visit it whenever we go. There are a few really nice malls but not as special as Mizner Park. Last time we were there they had a few stores owned by designers that had really great stuff. Sorry I don't remember the names.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Mizner Park

• marcolo
    11 years ago

If it's still there, Boca Bargoons is great for fabric. I forgot the name of the consignment shop but it sure represented a lot of rich dead people.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks caminnc

and Marcolo--Serendipity? Mark's Interiors? DZines? Past Perfect? Perfectly Imperfect? Anything ringing a bell?

Thanks

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Sorry. It's been too long. But it was like the Vatican museum of Hollywood Regency plus lots of other stuff.

Do go to Mizner Place for lunch. There was a Z Gallerie right there.

• stephsgarden
    11 years ago

I live in SFLA. Boca Bargoons fabric is still there. If you want to find vintage or antique furniture at ridiculous prices, you might want to try the used furniture stores off US1/Federal Hwy between Delray (which is also lovely to shop in) and Boynton Beach. Downtown Delray is a cute town, very walkable, and located just north of Boca. There are neat stores there as well. Sometimes you find nothing at the places I am suggesting, but sometimes you get lucky.

• chispa
    11 years ago

I had this site bookmarked. It is in W. Palm Beach ... to lazy to check distance from Boca on google maps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Circa Who

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Ditto Delray. The cute area gets bigger every year.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

omg

Now I need to know....

How to ship this stuff home????

I will be in faux bamboo Heaven. And Lucite Heaven.

Wow-ow-ow-zer

Thanks!

Bee

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Well, if you love the stuff at circawho, I'd suggest making a stop at the main Salvation Army store in Ft. Lauderdale, right off I-95 on Broward. They usually have truckloads of those same kinds of things for thrift store prices.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Bee, just don't go pointing your finger our way when your husband asks who has been enabling your addiction!! ;-)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He got home last night from a trip. He asked what we are going to do before the conference starts (originally we were going to visit out daughter. however, I'm looking at her right now across the island--she came back up to go to work at a country club in NJ for the summer).

I just casually said, I'm finding some things to do from my friends on GW....no details revealed yet. Actually, I'll probably do those things when I'm alone during the week.

And really, I love the name Circawho. Anybody else think of the E-trade commercial? "That's my friend Lindsey, she's a milkaholic"....."Milkawha?" CircaWhooo?

sorry. long week. really need vacation.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I don't know if you would be interested in taking a 30 minute trip south of Boca to DCOTA but it is one of the places DD really likes to go. They are having what looks like to be a great sale. It's a big place so if you do go, plan a day trip for sure. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: DCOTA

This post was edited by caminnc on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 9:56

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Can just anyone go to DCOTA now other than during sample sale, caminnc? It used to be to the trade only at other times.

• mihelene
    11 years ago

I've lived in Boca since 2001. Check out the two consignment stores on the Boca/ Deerfield Beach border, A Summer Place & A Consignment Gallery. Also a Habitat for Humanity re-store in Boca on Dixie Highway just south of Palmetto Park Road. If you drive up Federal Highway on the way to Delray Beach there are a few smaller consignment stores on the Boca/ Delray border. Another vote for Delray Beach as a great place to spend the afternoon shopping/ walking/ eating. Great old hotel called the Colony where you can relax with a cocktail on the front covered porch. Its hot here but not too bad yet! Enjoy your trip.
    Helene

• caminnc
    11 years ago

writersblock, it says DCOTA services the trade professional and design enthusiast. Bee certainly qualifies for the latter. I would recommend calling DCOTA to find out. They are not open on the weekends.

This post was edited by caminnc on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 18:27

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

In the days when I lived in Ft Lauderdale, you had to have an ASID member with you to visit the showrooms, other than at Sample Sale. Could have changed, since it's been a while, but that definitely used to be the policy.

Bee, another fun thing is the sales at Kofski in West Palm, if they have one happening during your trip. Lots of fun to look around, even if you're not buying, but you have to go early and wait in line. Kofski handles most of the estate sales for old Palm Beach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kofski

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(I see typos below, but can't fix them b/c I'm on iPhone and can't scroll in the box where I'm typing)

Live from Boca....

We went to Delray this am. Cute, fun to walk around. Had brunch.

Lots of consignment stores closed due to Sunday. We did stop at Goodwill. First score of the trip!!!! A really nice silver ice bucket! For only $8! My dh is panicked about getting it home, it's very heavy! I didn't bring 2 suitcases because I had so many clothes ;-)

Anyway, I might ship it home if ibfind some other things. I have been looking for a replacement for my crappy one. I use them for vases for big flowers like hydrangeas.

Gotta run, having a vodka tonic and then off to dinner!

Oh, and last night we arrived at the resort and the cars here are incredible. We counted 12 bentleys and rolls royces, 2 Aston martins, maseratis (?sp), lots of porsches (the ones that cost $185k+). And what was our rental car??? A very swanky chevy Cruz. Lol. The valet guys must roll their eyes.

Thanks for all the tips on where to go!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Glad you're having fun.

To scroll within a window or box, use two fingers, kind of like a fork.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

are you at the Boca Resort ?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mitch, I think so....

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

How is Boca treating you ? email me if you want, I live closeby to the resort.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today we ventured to the Salvation Army in Ft. Lauderdale. Although there were people actually waiting and watching as a truck was offloaded with furniture, there were no finds there. We hurried out. Then off to my favorite place.

I wish I lived here so this could be my favorite store...Circa Who

I know it was wrong, but I fell in love with a crescent shaped desk, painted aqua, with 4 elephant heads as the legs. Marble top. Oh, it would have looked great with my white patent leather wing back and white shag rug. It was a little over my budget at $4600, plus the shipping so I wished it a nice life and moved along. But they did have the most fabulous selection of stuff I have ever seen.

Tomorrow the conference starts, so I might head out in the morning to Boca Bargoons to check out the fabric while my dh goes to the meetings and then off to the beach.

Mitch, what is the deal with the drivers around here? I've never seen so many people just pull out into traffic from shopping centers or side streets, and not get in the right lane, but all the way over into the left, while almost side swiping the people in the turn lane. I mean I know the motto is "sit low drive slow" with the state flag having a steering wheel with 2 hands on it (kidding of course--old Jerry Seinfeld joke) but yikes! We almost slammed into a woman yesterday who just decided to pull out in front of us on Rt 1. Luckily the antilock brakes worked well and we skidded to a stop about a foot from her car. Then she actually rolled down her window as if to yell at us. But I told my dh perhaps she wanted to apologize... He just waved her on.

I have to say that it is very difficult to be on "vacation" while our friends in Boston and all over are so sad about Boston. I'm hoping Marcolo, bostonpam, and all the others up there are ok.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Bee, I know , it's crazy: possibly it's the same all over Florida⦠I don't drive much when I'm here.

I'm glad you are finding fun things to do, sample the cocomango lotion at the spa shop, I love the scent.