Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Revere Pewter and Drop Cloth Curtains - Yum!

Valerie Noronha
13 years ago

I finally got around to hanging the drop cloth curtains in my DS's room and I just love the look--esp. with the walls which we painted Revere Pewter. The color contrast is quite subtle and emphases the nubby texture of the drop cloths. I am just amazed at this economical option for WTs--though I must admit I did splurge a tad on the black rod (from JC Penneys) and rings (from Lowes).

This picture shows the colors most accurately:

I'd like some feedback on the lamps I am considering. I think I've made my choice between the two, but would like to see what others think before returning one of the sets. This room right now functions primarily as my 18-year-old DS's room, though he'll be going off to college (out-of-state) in the fall at which point it will do double duty as a guest room while he is away at school.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Bedding above is for DS. When guests come I plan to switch over to this bedding.

Comments (34)

• loribee
    13 years ago

I LOVE it...the room looks amazing. You should be tickled pink.
    In fact, I'm getting ready to put mine in my son's brittany blue bedroom soon- thanks for the sharing!! :)

• awm03
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a dynamite combo! I love Revere Pewter, & those drapes look fabulous with it. How did you get the curtains to fold so nicely? Did you have trouble figuring out how many rings to use?

I kinda like the iron lamps better, but perhaps with something like this silk shade :

The silk might lend some more textural contrast too. Gee, wish I had time to photoshop it to see if it works. Sorry about that $44 price :(

Here is a link that might be useful: gray shade info

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Great looking drapes! The whole room looks terrific, I also prefer lamps #2.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Those look sensational! Would you mind telling me how wide they are, and how many panels you had to use?

Thanks.

• User
    13 years ago

I love the 1st lamps with the bedding in there now and the 2nd lamps with the newer more feminine bedding. Love the drapes and colors ! How did you do the drapes? Where did you buy the cloths and were they a problem to wash /dry/softener...OK all the details !! :) Thanks and great job . c

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Awesome job! Love how nice the drapes look. I did drop cloth curtains in my DS's room years ago. They really can't be beat for affordability!!

I actually prefer the first lamp. The room has enough black already and I think the second ones are rather feminine.

• les917
    13 years ago

LOVE the drapery! Just the perfect choice for the room!

As for the lamps, I know that I was one of the people who wasn't crazy about the first ones. The second ones are okay, and trimming the shade in an interesting patterned ribbon top and bottom would be a nice addition.

You said you tried JCP, but i just saw these on line and thought they would work. A gunmetal finish, so a warm dark grey. I think they have enough curves to work with the guest bedding, but the crystal and finish give them a bit more of a contemporary feel to work with your son's bedding.

Simple shades, again trimmed in an interesting ribbon, would work well.

antique lamp table base

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

val, I have to say, watching your projects unfold has become one of my favorite things here. I admire your ability to make a really nice looking room on a budget, using those amazing CL scores you find and just good old-fashioned resourcefulness. It's inspiring. You should do your own blog, seriously.

This BR is amazing, love those curtains!! I'm kind of partial to the lamps Les chose, but lamp shopping make me crazy, so if it's for sure down to a choice between your #1 and #2, I vote #2.

Well done! :D

• amykath
    13 years ago

Gosh! You are innovative! I like the lamps with the shades. Love the guest bedding! The room looks fab. Great job!!!

• User
    13 years ago

thanks for the directions...you make it sound easy :) You have such resourcefulness and talent !! c

• anrol
    13 years ago

I still like the first lamps. Maybe because they are different and unexpected! They are great for reading in bed, as well. The room looks great! Love the colors and drapery!

• bama12
    13 years ago

Wow.....how did you get them to press so nicely? I have thrown away so many of those!!!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

The curtains and wall color look great! Just enough masculinity for your son but pretty enough for a guest room.

I like the first lamp as a desk lamp but think they're too large for the nightstands. The second lamps seem to be the right style and size.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

Looks great. I did the drop cloth curtains in my exercise room and love them.

I think I like Les' suggestion best but of the two choices you already have I say #2 with the ribbon treatment.

• awm03
    13 years ago

Stopping in for another drool over those great curtains, lol!

val, thanks so much for going into details about how you did this project. Such humble materials, such a sophisticated look! Would you mind showing us a night picture, if you can get a good one? I'll bet your room is wonderful at night, with all those good soft colors & dramatic black.

• roch3
    13 years ago

That looks wonderful! I love the texture of drop cloths, I made a table runner out of one and it's my go-to.
    I prefer the first lamps. :) what a wonderful room for your son and guests.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drat! I just composed a long reply and lost it!

Les: I really like those gunmetal ones--if the finish is more of a grayish black as you described and not a bronze. I couldn't quite tell from the picture, though. I'm thinking about ordering to try them out since I'm not too crazy about the bases for option #2. What type of shade would you suggest? The ones like option #2 or something different? I was drooling over some burlap ones at Target,but my gut feel was it'd be too much texture layered with the drop cloths. I was thinking of just a simple column type base, found some in a bronze that I like the shape, but not a black and I'm very leary any of bronze finish since the closet door (which is to the left in pictures) is trimmed in nickel. I also am very intrigued by chess lamps, like this one from Lamps Plus, though a bit more pricy than I wanted to spend: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/black-chess-table-lamp__n2919.html

moonshadow: I'm flattered about your blog comment. I don't think I have the creativity/vision for that necessarily and would probably drive my family nuts with decorating and staging (wait, I think I already do that ;)) I really enjoy this forum, though, and the support and feedback I get for my decorating projects. Like last week, when majority told me what color to paint my hall bath, I just went out and bought it because I knew consensus would be a good choice. Unfortunately, there is no lamp consensus, so I'm feeling kinda stuck right now if I should choose one of the above or keep looking.

bama12: I ended up using a lot of steam with iron on the linen (hottest) setting. Another trick, is to remove from dryer slightly damp.

juddgirl2: That is my reservation as well.

awm03: I'll snap one at night. I think the morning sunlight also looks good:

roch3: I'm just wondering when the manufacturers will catch on to how people are using them and jack up the prices like 10x!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had also purchased these swing arm lamps from Lowes. I think what is throwing me off about it is the shade--but if the base works I could always replace that as the lamps were only $35 each.

Here it is in the room with the shade from option #2.

This shade doesn't fit correctly so I'd need to purchase something similar that uses the harp. This lamp is considered a bronze finish. Do you think it looks OK with the black rod and the closet doors trimmed with nickel? I do like the swing arm feature as I think it'd work better for reading in bed which my DS does.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am liking this option #3 more and more--which is probably why I bought them in first place a few weeks ago, only the box picture didn't look that great. It's essentially like the chess lamps I was looking at from Lamps Plus without the name. I went ahead and assembled and put on the existing shade--it's doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. I really like the texture of the fabric, still not so crazy about the shape, but for $35/lamp and I'm all done....not to mention I won't have to figure out how to box this lamp back up.

What do you think?

Closeup of shade material:

• les917
    13 years ago

I think the last lamp is great. I agree that the shade wouldn't be my first choice, but it looks fine. Down the line you can always replace the shades if you find something else you love.

• awm03
    13 years ago

I like #3 best of all too. Nice heft, interesting shape. You're wanting a more contemporary shade, I take it?

Thanks for the morning pix. Your room probably looks good in all lighting!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

les and awm03, I'm so glad you like option #3. These lamps seem to just go with everything else without drawing attention to themselves. I noticed that immediately when I would walk by the room with the door option--the other two--esp. the desk lamps, made more of a statement, but that's not the look I'm going for. As the room is small and my DS still uses it, I don't want the decor to be too in-your-face or overpowering in relation to his stuff. Does that make sense? DD2 said it looks like a "hotel" room. She is so funny, I can see the decorating itch has skipped from me over DD1 to DD2. The only thing with these lamps are that they are fluorescent and I couldn't get the bulb to snap in place fully. I could jiggle it so the light would turn on, but it would shut off with any jostling movement. I'll have my DH check it out tonight when he returns with my DS from their college tour.

awm03, here are the nighttime pictures:

With flash:

Without flash:

I also had this rug around the house as I bought for my DD1's room and ended up not using it. Do you think it works here?

It would definitely need a rug pad to keep in place.

Next month, my SIS and her DH will be arriving to spend 3 weeks with us (one of which we will be traveling together). Then my changes will be more in terms of functionality. I plan to move all DS's clothes to the hall closet as he will be sleeping in the FR. Then I need to get a suitcase stand (perhaps two) to put in closet for their stuff. It won't be so spacious as the other guest rooms on this board, but hopefully they'll be more comfortable than they would have if I had made no changes. At first DS missed the floor space when I changed the bed to the larger double, but now he says he likes the extra sleeping space. As for his old bed, I sold it two days ago on CL to coincidentally enough one of the teachers at DD1's school. I was trilled about that! Especially, as there is a good chance he will teach her history class next year.

Any other suggestions how I can make the room more comfortable for them, that DS can "live with" at same time?

• User
    13 years ago

Those drop cloth curtains added the perfect touch. I have to admit, most times on rings I think they look sloppy and I see "drop cloth" instead of curtain. Yours are hanging neat and look very nice!

I like the last lamps best.

I like the rug.

I think the room looks comfortable as is. I really like the baskets on the night stands too.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Ditto Shee...mine are soooo wrinkled~~~
    I love the lamps BTW!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

valinsv, you have created a beautiful, restful room. I am sure your son and any guest will find it very peaceful and restful.

• deborah1950
    13 years ago

I like the last lamp the best for sure! You sure did do a good job with those panels! I really like that look.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

I love your drop cloth drapes. They are beautiful. Did you use sizing or spray starch to make them look so stiff? If you don't tell anyone they are drop cloths, they will never know it by looking at them. They are lovely.

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing how to do these curtains--your room looks great! The talent on this board is amazing!

I was going to suggest a lamp that someone here on GW used recently that was surprisingly inexpensive and good-looking. (I think she switched out the shade, but I can't find the post.) It looks like you've found one you like, but I'll share this in case others might be interested. Maybe someone remembers the original post since those pictures showed it in the room and it looked great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass base lamp

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

I love the revere pewter! I can't get over how much more I like it than the blues you were trying! And the drapes are perfect with the room! Definitely worth the time washing and ironing! It paid off! I like the final selection in lamps also. I'm not sure if the shades from Target you were referring to were the lighter linen colored burlap drum shade? I can see those working with the room or another choice would be the white drum shade with the black band of ribbon around the base. Also at Target. A rug like this would be the finishing touch. Don't know if you have Garden Ridge out your way, but they have a big selection, some in wool. Anyway, something like this would look great and the 8x10 is only $99!
    {{!gwi}}

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Kmcg, is that your room? Looks fabulous! That is sort of the look I want in my bedroom--light upholstered headboard, creamy-gray walls and turquoise drapery and accents. What are the wall colors in the pic?

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

No jockewing, I can't take credit for such a beautiful room. It is from a blog. Beautiful isn't it? Hopefully you can find some info on paint colors on the blog, but, get comfy before you begin :)

Here is a link that might be useful: A well Dressed Home

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kmcg: Yes, I like it much better than the blue/greens I was testing as well. The room is on the small side so I think this combo makes it feel more spacious. I did finally get to use one of the blues, Palladian Blue when I repainted the hall bath. I love BM Wedgewood Gray, but so far, not in my house. I love the rug you showed in the pic. I'll have to check it out.

• HU-665826715
    3 years ago

Shower Ink provides quality customizable shower curtains. They offer bathroom curtain collections including- NFL, Super Heroes, funny, etc.