Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsg26

Pls help with our open floor plan kitchen color!

jsg26
9 years ago

It was recommended to post this here instead of the kitchen forum so hopefully you guys can help us out!

We painted our family room and kitchen revere pewter by Benjamin Moore, and we tested it among others and love it in the family room but just not working in kitchen with our cabinets. They have a yellow tint and we are trying to find a color that is classic and not old but also can work with the hint of yellow in the cabinets and the yellow/gold backsplash. Something greige would be ideal. Here is a close up of the color and cabinets and here is original post with lots of pictures

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0411400525294.html

Comments (21)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can you put a big pic of the kitchen up? Really helps a lot!

• jsg26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure and thanks!

We want something not too dark but not too light and prefer a gray it's just hard with a gray and the cabinets and backsplash. The room totally worked before we painted but it was just a super traditional yellow/gold with this dark brown rag finish that we hated.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You have very little wall area, which means you have an opportunity here to go with a striking color. I'd take it. With the massive amount of white cabinetry and woodwork, and white ceiling, you've got plenty of neutral already.

Agree that, with the dark floor, you ought not go dark.

With the beautiful brown granite and the dark floor, I'm thinking blue, since blue and brown so go beautifully together.

Take a look at Sherwin Williams Languid Blue, which goes unbelievably well with dark browns.

Languid Blue with chocolate brown

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Languid Blue in kitchen

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or, something bolder but not crazy.

BM Vintage Charm.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or even more punch, but still conservative.

BM Lucerne

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Personally, I'd go with the BM Vintage Charm.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Oh, I love that BM Lucerne, though!

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Haha, Tib. You and your Vintage Charm! I agree, it's a lovely color, but purple is hard to get DH-approved. I hope someone uses it soon, if only to make you happy :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I was hoping no one would notice! Sigh.

But it would look sooooooo good in this particular kitchen and give it a unique spin. I think it is smokey enough to detract from the fact that it is purple.

Small wall space area is such a great opportunity to indulge in colors that really can't go on big walls.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 15:09

• jsg26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! The thing is this is all one room so those bold colors are a little scary :)

Here is an example with the old walls:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Uh-uh, Paint the family room part a neutral color, up to the kitsch. But in the kitchen, go ahead and use a fun color for the paint (but which compliments the color you choose for the larger area). All you'd see from the family room is the paint over the two windows in the kitchen. It is SAFER to do it the other way, but it's more interesting to do it this way, IMO.

And don't be scared of paint. So easy to just redo if you don't like it. Especially small areas like your kitchen.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If that were my layout, I'd paint the family room in BM Woodcliff Lake, put lots of photography and paintings/pics on the wall, and get either a sisal/seagrass/jute type of rug or a wool rug with plums and beiges in it, and I'd paint the exposed wall area in the kitchen in the BM Vintage Charm.

Gorgeous!

Heh-heh.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I agree with the first poster in the other topic who suggested painting the wall the same color as the cabinets. Or close to it.

White kitchens are very tricky. Light walls makes a white kitchen look bigger, they embrace any undertone from the cabinets, and they're cheerful.

Blue or gray walls will make your kitchen look smaller and not as bright in the daytime. You're lucky that you have great natural light in there. I don't, so I have to turn on all the lights including the under-cabinet lights to make it feel cheerful certain times of the day. My walls are a very pale yellow which helps brighten up the area.

Use color for your accents. The good thing about going neutral with a white/cream besides making the kitchen look bigger and more cheerful, is you can change out colors with accessories when the mood strikes! I do that all the time and have a blast. lol

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another vote for the same color as the cabinets .....

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm with Tribbix. I can't imagine painting the walls the same color as the cabinets.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If I had those gorgeous cabinets and granite and floors, I'd want them to really shine and be enhanced, and the way to do that is with a striking contrasting color.

I'm tellin' yaâ¦

As it is, my kitchen cabinetry is downright horrid, horrible, disgusting, a messâ¦so what I SHOULD have done is painted the walls the same color as the cabinets instead of Van Courtland Blue! Fortunately I'm a thrifty Yankee, and we believe that one renews something only when duct tape no longer works to keep it together.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 16:46

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

You'll only detract from your beautiful cabs if you paint the walls the same color. I have what look to be the same(glazed?)cabs, and at the moment have warm tan walls. I want to wallpaper, since I don't have a lot of wall space, and think it will enhance the cabinets as well as the rest of the kitchen.

I'm a lover of wallpaper and have other areas I'm planning to do also. It seems to add more personality than paint, but the downside is, for reselling it can be a killer, and it's a b**** to remove!

• jjags
    9 years ago

We are in the final stages of kitchen installation and floors are being done so I can't post pictures now but our family room and kitchen are open to each other. We used a color consultant to pick colors and what she suggested Is Revere Pewter in family room and Pale Oak in the kitchen. Pale oak is a few shades lighter but very similar. I custom matched the trim color to the cabinets. Not sure if this would work with your cabinets but worth a try. My cabinets are made by showplace and color is soft cream but they don't have much yellow in them. Hope this helps.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about Edgecombe Gray? Having said that, I also have BM Lucerne in a bedroom, and it's very striking.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You can do a nice compromise, too, and go with a lighter color on a paint chip for the family room area and a darker color on the same chip for the kitchen.

So, for example, here is a kitchen with the walls painted in BM Stardust. Notice how the darker, more contrasting color really makes the cabinets and wood trim stand out and look great.

Then do something like BM Silver Fox in the family room area.

You are lucky, in fact, that you actually have a defining wall area so you can easily do different colors or shades in each room.

BM Stardust

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions