Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

What would you do with these windows

amj0517
13 years ago

Hi all,

We're in the beginning stages of decorating and have 2" wood blinds on almost every other window in the house. I have no idea what to do with these though.

There aren't any neighbors near the back of the house, so privacy isn't a big issue. But they face west, so when the sun sets it is painfully bright in the living room!

The model home had drapes from the ceiling to floor that were tied back. I liked the look of this, but I didn't like the fact that the upper windows are almost completely blocked (permanently). Any suggestions? I'd love to see pictures too if you have similar windows in your home.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• wifetojoeiii
    13 years ago

I think I would do a shade, not drapes. I love the open look - perhaps a blind in each window that is remote control - up, down, flip open, flip closed, Do the top windows have a space/a ledge? If yes, perhaps a vine/plant. Or - the top windows might also be a good place for some pretty stained glass? My SIL had a round window at the landing at the top of her staircase where the sun would shine very brightly in the afternoon. Very tough to find the right drape. She had a stained glass insert made to go over the window - it really was very pretty & dramatic. When they sold their house she removed the insert for staging - the realtor told the prospective buyers it was available and the buyers ended up purchasing it.

I am not an expert - just some thoughts! Good luck.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I would put up panels and some kind of blind. I guess you will need remote control for the upper windows. I think you need the fabric to soften the room unless it is very contemporary. Here are a few pictures I found on a google search. You do not have to have the top windows covered to have panels.

Here's one where only the lower window is covered.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After looking at blinds and tossing around the idea of making curtains, DH and I may have agreed on what to do. I think we're going to go with curtains on a decorative traverse rod that cover both the upper and lower window. They will open away from the fireplace and the stack will cover the outer wall (if that makes sense). But I have another question.

How high should I go? If you look back at the picture in my original post, the upper edge of the top window is 14' from the floor. Should I get curtains that just cover that height, or should I go up even higher (I think there is 4' of wall space above the window)?

I'm not sure what would look more silly (if anything): to have the empty wall space above the curtains, or to have curtains that go up pretty high and cover a wall. If you think I should go higher, how high?

The pics from dawnp show curtains that don't go up to far, but they don't have all of the wall space above.

Thanks again!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would go to the top of the window in your case, and no higher.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the duplicate post. I couldn't find this one, so I reposted....

• txmeggie
    12 years ago

I have a 2 story dining room with even larger windows than yours, that also face hot west. I have cellular blinds that I asked to have an extra long cord on for the uppers. BUT I didn't specify how much extra long, so only my husband can reach it! But they will make it that way. I also have side drapery panels that don't really cover the windows.
    As others have said, don't go higher than the windows. I'm planning replacement panels that will hang from knobs similar to some of the photos here, but I don't like the fussy valance piece. Mine will be made from simple, inexpensive, white cotton duck cloth.

• madeyna
    12 years ago

I think since you like the drape look I would hang them to the top of the upper window with a really nice short rod with decorative fenials(sp?) but at least think about attaching the side of the curtain panels to the end of the rod so that when you close it it hands straight and when you open it it will drap nicely across the upper windows. I would use a metal tieback that matchs the rod and have the tie back hanging at about the lower corner of the inside of the bottom window. The reason for attatching the panel to the end of the rod is we fount moms high panels for years(she didn,t want them to pull all the way to one side when open but drape across gracefully) until someone suggested this easy trick.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

txmeggie: I'd love to see pictures of your windows if you have any handy. I haven't ordered anything yet, so I guess I'm still open to other ideas.

madeyna: the windows in the model home are how you describe, and I like the look of it, but the upper window is essentially always covered when the drape is stationary on the rod. The swooping drape is pretty, but I like to have the windows fully exposed during the day for the light. My thought was to have a curtain that, when open, looks like a panel from the top of the upper window to the floor. Straight, straight, straight. Then when it is closed, it would cover both windows (upper and lower) and the wall (so it would be fabric from the corner of the room to the edge of the fireplace on each side of the fireplace). Yes - I am looking for nice finials too!

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay - This was my first attempt at cut and paste with curtains, but this is what I was thinking about:

The one on the left is open and covers the wall, and the one on the right is closed and covers the wall and windows.

Basic pinch pleat, but I hope to add character by finding a nice finial (also, this fabric is just the first image I found on the JCP website).

Now that I "see" it I understand why this is the right height for hanging them.

I'm open to any further suggestions and opinions! :)

• madeyna
    12 years ago

I think that will look great and the right finials will really pull it all together. Have you considered maybe more of a sheer that would let some light in? The room looks dark in that picture but that could just be the time of day. Moms are a heavy fabric but her room has a large row of windows on another wall.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We'll probably go with something lighter than what is pictured. I was just trying to get the scale and position right. The pic does look dark, but it is not actually that dark in there. The opposite wall from the fireplace is our entry that has a very large window that lets in lots of light. Thanks for all the feedback!