Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Have You Ever Seen a Tartan Pool Table?

User
10 years ago

We are re-felting our pool table when it is reassembled and put back in the basement. I ordered rail pieces of cloth in 10 different colors so we wouldn't have to decide based on a postage stamp sized sample, when it suddenly hit me-----use the tartan fabric from Hines for the bed of the table!

I have looked and looked, on every site and with every combo of search words and cannot find a picture of a plaid table. Lots of union jacks, beer brands and school mascots, but no actual patterns. Has anyone ever seen a patterned table? The cloth is cotton, so it would have to be backed with something I think, and we would probably do the rails in a coordinating color felt as they wear faster than the table surface. The table doesn't get much use, but when I mentioned getting rid of it there was a hue and cry from Pittsburgh to Virginia to Florida, as all three kids --- none of whom live at home--- protested. You'd have thought their most cherished childhood memories were tied up with that table (whoa, I didn't consider the possibility that might be the case) so I agreed to keep it. And now I want it to look fun!

Any thoughts, ideas, warnings, or pix of Vera Bradley tables? I thought RL Home would surely feature a plaid table in ads, but no such luck...

Comments (30)

• chispa
    10 years ago

I searched under Snooker (British version with larger table) and also found no plaid. Maybe the lines in a plaid type pattern have an effect on vision and being able to line up shots. Sounds like a fun idea!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think anyone who is serious about billiards would be aghast, but other than that, who cares? I do recall seeing a leopard table in a photo shoot once.

I would think you would need to make sure it is felt, though.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, Chispa, that's just what the pool table guy said. We use it infrequently and I am not worried that anyone will miss an important shot for plaid reasons :-)

ID just weighed in with opinion that Rails Must Also be Tartan. I'm just not sure that is within the ability of PTGuy, who has never heard of a "repeat" in a fabric (he does only solid color or silk screened team themes).

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I never really thought about what the felt on pool tables was made of, but I've linked an article that describes the type of materials that will work. If the tartan was subdued enough, I guess it would work. In fact, the lines might make it easier to line up shots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Table Felt

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

My brother, a real hippie and a decent pool player, has always said that if he ever got a pool table, he would buy white felt and tie-dye it. Not to easy with tartan, but I'd go for it if you can find it.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fabric is 100% cotton, mtn. I have been doing some light reading on the history of pool table cloth (probably posted on the internet by boozy gents between turns of beer pong) and cotton was actually used before wool. Presumably wool replaced cotton as a better option but at least cotton has been used historically. I gather it would be a "faster" fabric than felt. And actually, the top of the line fabric nowadays is 100% worsted wool, not felt (which is a mostly wool blend with nylon that pills).

Throwing caution aside I am thinking of using the tartan regardless of its suitability as I think it would be utterly fabulous. This is the fabric

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right, Fun, the lines just might make for easier shots. They couldn't possibly make me a worse player than I already am.

Ankh, the tie dye and rolling balls would make me dizzy, but what a fun and funky idea!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

whoa, yeah, i think it'd be a very different game on cotton.

As long as no one takes it seriously, though, who cares?

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Not tartan, but argyle. Maybe brick?

See link

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Unusual pool table felt

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I like the idea of the plaid on the floor instead. Just sayin.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We could call it reallyfastpool!

Maddie, I didn't see most of the designs you did you are an uber-googler! The ones I found are also printed on the felt. I guess no one is willing to sacrifice the game for the decor....I'll be the guinea pig.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol beverly, I am two steps ahead, the floor is brick but there will be a green plaid rug in the open adjoining room and the same plaid carpet in the room next to that !

• peony4
    10 years ago

Very, very few shots in a game of pool are perpendicular or parallel to the table--this is why you haven't seen tartan used. My DH and his friends are avid players... they'd have to imbibe heavily before breaking the first rack on a tartan table. ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well now, peony, I won't say that's never happened....

• hhireno
    10 years ago

What do the kids think? If they feel so strongly about keeping the table, they may also feel strongly about the appearance.

I love the plaid and hope you use it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Probably because a pool table cover is typically made of felt which is not a woven fabric whereas a plaid typically is. I would imagine that you'd risk stretching and rumpling as that's what woven fabric does....which would not be good for playing on. Even if backed, it won't give as smooth a surface as one typically wants when playing pool...

For me, the lines would drive me crazy when playing....I prefer a solid regardless of the color...and leopard? No thank you!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, Annie, the top of the line fabric for pool tables is actually worsted wool, sold by a company called Iwan Simonis. It is woven, not fused, which makes it a stronger cloth, but it is also a faster surface because it has no fuzziness. So my woven cotton would be really fast!

Hireno I am sure the kids would have an opinion on the tartan....they have an opinion on everything under the sun, they are young :-)

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I would be most worried about tears in the fabric with the cotton. A pool cue sticking in the fabric might rip more easily, even if backed, than the worsted wool.

Like Annie, the lines would also drive me crazy while playing. I'd much prefer the solid color. The plaid would look great but I just can't envision it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Interesting...I did not know that.

IAC, I would keep the plaid to a table cover to protect the table and keep the surface solid.

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

DH is a pool junkie; I am a casual player. Our lower level sports a 9 ft Brunswick Gold Crown and a 10 ft antique Brunswick billiard table (without pockets). No plaid. No way. It would make 'seeing' the balls and the field harder. Playing is hard enough.

Do ask the kids. If they want to play at holidays or whenever, the plaid may make it pretty difficult. Why even have a table if it can't be enjoyed?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Why even have a table if it can't be enjoyed? "

Because.... it would be cute!

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

DH is a pool junkie; I am a casual player. Our lower level sports a 9 ft Brunswick Gold Crown and a 10 ft antique Brunswick billiard table (without pockets). No plaid. No way. It would make 'seeing' the balls and the field harder. Playing is hard enough.

Do ask the kids. If they want to play at holidays or whenever, the plaid may make it pretty difficult. Why even have a table if it can't be enjoyed?

Maybe consider a 'normal' solid color, and have a tartan piece made to lie on the surface. Not a full cover that goes over the rails, more an inset to cover just the playing field. There is probably a way to rig something like Velcro strips anchored in the pockets in a way that would not affect play. You'd get the smooth surface look you want without compromising the table.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update--- ID and I spoke at length about this very issue last night. We did a budget assessment and are even farther out there than I realized. So, this is his view, that if the table was a cherished heirloom or a valuable antique of any provenance, or "even if it was just really nice looking" he would love it upholstered in the tartan. At $120 per yard shipped cost to me, with extra for rails because of the repeat (and we are pretty sure the pool table guy has never heard or dealt with a repeat), the fabric alone would cost around $800. He said he would rather have that money back in the pot for accessories, especially if someday in the not too distant future that table will end up for sale for $150 at the Christian Women's Center thrift shop.

He's right, This is a CL Bailey oak table and I guess the tartan would be the teensiest bit over the top :-( But still....hmph!

• peony4
    10 years ago

Still, it was a fun idea, kswl. :-)

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I agree with the ID. Even though it would be "cute," who ever gets stuck with the table down the road will literally be stuck with the table. lol.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Wow! Good thing you had the ID to set you straight. Sorry your cute, fun idea didn't work, but someone did have a good idea on using it for a cover. Or maybe you could put a couple of tall stools and a bar table nearby with the tartan cushions.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We won't be using a cover, outside, but even if we were, the same conditions would apply to make the tartan a poor choice. It's not really going to be a bar type area, there aren't bar stools to reupholster.

Oak I like to think that whoever was lucky enough to get a fab tartan table would just think he or she had won the pool table lottery, lol

Thanks peony. Sometimes my wild hare ideas work, and sometimes I have to be talked off the decorating limb.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Yes, Please....slowly back away from the coffee pot.
    Plaid tennis court next???

Al

• tinam61
    10 years ago

At least you go out on a limb!

tina

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I thought it would have been quite clever - but then we're more apt to use our pool table with a ping pong top on it.

However if you had a family tartan that would have made it even more interesting. Check out this Porsche 997 that's been customized with the family's Frazer Red tartan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tartan Porsche