Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captncars

Am I crazy?!

captncars
9 years ago

We are currently building a house and our standard for bathroom floors is a 12x24 porcelain tile, which I really like. But when I was at the store picking out things I spotted a vinyl sheet floor that I fell in live with. Am I crazy for wanting to "downgrade" to vinyl? It has a very pretty gray linen look. And I also like the idea of a solid surface floor.

Comments (16)

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

There are tiles that have that look if it is the look you are after.

• awm03
    9 years ago

That's very striking with your other materials! I can see why you like it. No, not a downgrade at all, just good taste : )

• TehyaJenZ6
    9 years ago

If you like it then it's nothing but a bonus that it's cheaper and easier to install/clean than tile! I vote go for it.

To me, what you like is far more important than what is considered an upgrade or downgrade.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What's better in terms of durability and water protection?

• captncars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm just going to go for it. If I end up not liking it I can always tile later. Just less grout I have to deal with :)

• crl_
    9 years ago

I don't think you are crazy at all. We just remodeled our master bathroom and I chose Marmoleum over tile for the flooring. I don't like the feel of tile under foot and I have always found tile floors difficult to keep clean. Very happy with our Marmoleum.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I think it will be great. Grout lines are busy looking. Your sheet vinyl floor will add a visual calm that's very appealing.

What are the other materials for? Pretty stuff! Is the black for a countertop? It's beautiful.

• OhMarti
    9 years ago

I agree with your decision. If you can save money AND love it, that is the only way to go. I love it too, by the way!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Vinyl's fine, and can be more comfortable underfoot than ceramic.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Tile requires a stiffer subfloor than vinyl. In my remodel going from vinyl to tile, we needed to add a cement board subfloor over the original floor. That raised the tile above the hardwood hallway, requiring an awkward threshold strip. So you might see if you can use the cement board now and not have this problem if you switch to tile later.

I saw a lot of linen-look tiles when I was tile shopping.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We put vinyl in our library, foyer, kitchen, FR, DR and craft room and we love it. Depending on the quality of the vinyl, it can be softer, warmer, durable, easy to clean and a good choice for flooring.

• debo_2006
    9 years ago

We have a "tile-look" vinyl in our bathroom that is high end. It is comfy on the feet and not cold like real tile is. It is very easy to clean. I think you will be happy with your choice.

We also have vinyl in our foyer/hallway/kitchen/laundry room/powder room (all attached rooms). The leftover piece went into the mentioned upstairs bathroom. Love it.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

We put vinyl that had a foam insulation and also was skid resitant, it's in our master bath and we love it. This summer I'm going to put it in my sun room. You don't get that freezing floor like you do with tile.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Sounds like a great choice, then. My only experience with vinyl was white sheet vinyl, which had tiny cuts that looked black in no time.

• ladyamity
    9 years ago

Another positive for vinyl.....
    Dropped a bottle of nail polish on tile, it shattered and you can imagine the mess!
    Dropped a glass bottle of liquid face foundation on vinyl and it sort of gave a slight bounce before it actually settled on the floor, without breaking.

• captncars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Originally I was going to put the darker tile on the floor and the lighter tile on the tub surround and in the shower with the darker tile on the shower floor. The countertops are a white granite and our cabinets are espresso shaker.
    Should I still put the lighter tile on the tub surround now that the floor will also be light gray?

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz