Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

new chair contenders - thoughts?

Pipdog
11 years ago

Still on the hunt for chairs for our living room. I found these chairs this past weekend. What do you all think?

The room really has a neutral look now with the off-white rug and sofa, but I was thinking of adding color and texture with patterned, bright pillows (turquoise chevron? orange and turquoise ikat?). I would have two chairs flanking the fireplace.

this pillow doesn't work with the color scheme, but I was thinking something with turquoise/orange and a pattern:

Comments (30)

• library_girl
    11 years ago

Wow...what a beautiful room. I love the woodwork, floors, piano, windows, well, everything. And I think the chair is perfect in the room - the style, the wood and the fabric color. Very nicely done!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Oh those look wonderful. Really pick up the lines of the piano ( you KNOW how much I covet the piano for DH :) ) and the sofa table. You did a great job. I don't care for any of the pillows but that is a small deal. The chairs are just perfect. c

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Love the chair. Try a lumbar pillow might look better proportioned.

And, am I losing my mind...but where are the curtains? Did I miss something? Am I confused?

• homeagain
    11 years ago

Yes, much better! Great shape and color!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

No Bee, you are not! I was thinking the same thing. They were an orange print.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, all. I think these are the ones. I like how the lines mimic the curve of the piano. I am so ready to not have an empty living room and my DH will be happy that I can stop dragging him to furniture stores to look. Actually, he picked these out so i have to give him props!

bee and ellendi, the orange curtains are (sadly) now history. Those windows get a ton of light and they faded and were looking pretty rough. I sold them to a lady on CL. I think we'll get some new turquoise curtains or something with a smaller pattern. I really liked them when we first got them, but grew tired of them after a while.

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Love The chair! can you share the details of the rug? I love your style!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, briana. The rug is a 9x12 Stark Carpet that we had bound. It is the Keagan collection in Platinum. Link below.

bee, i forgot to ask, do you have any recommendations for good places online for lumbar pillows? I seem to be striking out at my usual pillow spots -- HomeGoods, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stark Rug

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

pip,

:*(

sniff sniff sniff

bee

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Another loud "YES" for the chair! Or perhaps subdued and subtle, but definitely a yes! :)

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Great chair, gorgeous room!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I really really like them, good choice!! Your husband has a good eye. You trained him well, lol.

• les917
    11 years ago

I think the chairs are very nice, and the addition of a colorful pillow on each will be a way to bring in some color.

Don't let the pillows you see limit you. Find some fabric you love, and either sew them yourself or check local fabric stores for folks willing to sew. Lumbar pillows don't have to be complicated at all.

Personally, I would like to have seen a chair that had a taller back, a bit more cushy as well, and done in a color or print. You seem to have a lot of open space in the seating area, and a lot of rug. Chairs with a bit more presence might have been a nice balance for the piano, tall built-ins, and fireplace.

But these are nice, and work well with the rest of the pieces in the space.

Most importantly, you and your DH are happy with the choice!

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

Great choice - love that chair in that room! I'm with bee - a lumbar pillow would be ideal.

• lefleur1
    11 years ago

Your room is beautiful and that chair is absolutely stunning. Could I ask the name of the manufacturer??

• loribee
    11 years ago

Perfect! They look grand.

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

I like the chairs but with smaller pillows. However, I rue the day your living room is no longer "empty" because that might mean you'll stop posting pictures of it. With or without the orange curtains, I love it!

Java

• movinginva
    11 years ago

I do not know a whole lot about pulling a room together, but I am absolutely certain of this - your room looks amazing! The chairs are perfect for it, really, everything in there is just perfect for the space.

I like the pop of color in the coral and blue pillow, but I agree that it should be a lumbar pillow versus a square.

• declansmom
    11 years ago

Pipdog...I see you have already decided on the chairs, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE your room. Every time I see those colors (turquoise, orange and cream), it makes me want to re-do my entire house!!
    GORGEOUS room, beautiful pick on the chairs!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, all! I really appreciate the nice words. This room has been such a challenge to decorate -- it's oddly-shaped, and it doesn't get a ton of light like the other rooms in the house, and the furniture is "floating" in the middle of the room, which is harder to decorate (IMO) than when furniture is backed up against the wall. So these nice words make me feel like we did ok. :)

les, you make a good point about finding chairs with more presence. Initially we had looked for bolder, higher-backed wing chairs, but we couldn't find anything we liked under $2,500 a chair. I found a set I loved but they were way too spendy for our lifestyle (2 kids, dog, etc), so these are a nice compromise as they are versatile and we can change the look easily with pillows.

I'm going to the LA garment district this weekend to look at fabric - they have some beautiful patterns and bold colors. Once we find the pillow fabric, curtains are next! I'm sure I'll be back for more input, so stay tuned.

lefleur, unfortunately i don't know the name of the manufacturer. I will ask when we pick them up - the one in the photo was the floor model that they let us have for 24 hours on approval. We had to order new ones.

• jjam
    11 years ago

I post this with some hesitation; because the room IS lovely, and pipdog, you have an amazing eye and great style. And, the chairs are very nice, especially since your husband chose them! But, I can't quite put my finger on it; they are almost kind of predictable, and the room is almost too perfect, if that makes sense. I'd love to see something a bit unexpected, or something with some history, perhaps. I realize the room has a clean, contemporary feel, so I don't know that I'd use anything ornate or heavy, but I agree with Les that the chairs could be more substantial. Did you consider using two different chairs? I think two chairs that do not match might add more interest, and would make your room unique while still showing all of its great style and wonderful bones.

Good Luck with your decision, and I always look forward to seeing your rooms as they come together :)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

did you look at Etsy for pillows?
    These are from Kain Kain:

This is from Loubella1

californialivinhome:

Here is a link that might be useful: 4,000 lumbar pillows on Etsy!

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I love the chairs and think they'll look great in your room. A word of caution about your piano though. I have a door and windows similar to yours in my living room. I also have a baby grand that is turned on an angle to fit into a space before the wall comes out about 5 feet into the room. Only the left corner of the piano and the bench are directly in front of the window. After 10 years the wood on that corner of the piano has gotten bleached and dried by the sunlight because I didn't have curtains up to block the light. I got an estimate to refinish the piano and it was ridiculously expensive. Mine is the natural wood finish so I don't know if you'll have the same problem with the color fading. My window only gets direct sun in the morning. Blasted sun can sure do a number on fabric and furniture.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

olychick, thanks -- i love those options! esp. the last one. i will head on over to Etsy to look. I always forget about Etsy for pillows.

chickadee, thanks for the words of warning - the piano definitely gets a lot of direct sunlight during the day and my tuner actually warned me to keep the curtains closed during peak sun hours. Right now we do not have curtains up there but we intend to put them back up.

jjam, i agree with you - the chairs are definitely on the "safe" side. I found some gorgeous velvet wingback chairs that would have been amazing in the space, but they were $3k each. These chairs don't jump out as unique, but I think they suit our purposes, especially given the price (we have two young kids that probably will end up drawing on these chairs with crayons, so we really didn't want to drop $6k on chairs). And we considered using two different chairs but we both like symmetry. I think having different pillows on each chair will bring some flair to the space and adding more interesting objects on the console table and coffee table, as well as colorful art on the wall next to the fireplace will add some interest. This room is still evolving and I hope to make it seem less "perfect" and a little more eclectic and lived in.

• jjam
    11 years ago

Pipdog, that is so funny; I was cruising the internet looking for a chair for my LR and I saw some crushed velvet wing chairs, thinking; aha! Those would be perfect in Pipdog's room.....then I saw the price and gulped too. Well, no doubt reality is the great decision maker, and it sounds like you have made a wise choice. I recall my favorite chair being "decorated" by one of my future artists at age 3; and we ended up re upholstering that chair three times!

I do love your room; especially your drapes that are now gone; maybe that was the unexpected thing that is now missing. Accessories and artwork are great for bringing in that touch of personality and punch of color.

We all look forward to updates....

• hopmom
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing -- love everything about your room and I'm inspired by it. I think the chairs are great -- tie in the gorgeous piano and have the clean, elegant lines of the rest of the room. I don't think it's "too perfect" -- I love the clean minimalistic feel of the room (but, I too am drawn to the light neutrals with pops of color -- and the less is more approach). Once you add some texture with fabrics -- it will have plenty of warmth. I gather this is your living room -- and not a family room (I don't see a TV) so, it's okay that it has a bit of formality.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I really like the new chair. I agree a bold lumbar pillow would liven things up. That said, if you want a really bold room, some bold chairs could be fun instead. I think it just depends on the look you want. Also, I am also very sad about your drapes. I absolutely loved them. I hope you'll go for a bold and bright pattern again. You have a really lovely room and gorgeous taste.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

Not sure if this style is right, but I had to post the link just for the color alone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clementine Chair

• dakota01
    11 years ago

Almost daily Joss and Main and also One Kings Lane has some great bright pillows. Maybe sign on to them and see if anything catches your eye. They also have poufs - which I may end up getting one should the right fabric/color come up.
    Your chairs are beautiful and I think they go extremely well in your room !

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I was browsing Horchow and came across this bold turquoise blue leather wing chair. Your turquoise/orange colors immediately came to mind.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022