Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callie25

Universal Paint Color?

callie25
9 years ago

I would like to paint my bedroom and master bath a color that will go with everything (regardless of what color comforter I place etc.) We have stained trim that is a warm med brown. Your thoughts? I plan on using Valspar or Benjamin Moore paint. Thanks

Comments (16)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have heard it said that SW kilim beige is the most sought after color by contractors, architects for painting interiors as it goes with everything but then that is hearsay.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or maybe SW Accessible Beige.

I suppose the true universal color is a true white.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I don't believe that there is a universal color, since the quality of light plays such a large part in how it looks. You have to take in exposure, the number of windows, what is outside those windows, and where you are in the country.

Can you post a few pictures of the room and the info? You'll get several suggestions and then you get to put up swatches to see which appeals to you IRL. This is why people hire a color consultant :)

You have 3 to think about already!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Alex is correct. There is no universal color. White's, for example, are no-no's for north facing rooms, and on and on.

Light is critical re: Paint choices.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

There are a lot of colors that are "neutrals" and will go with most any color...but the trick is the undertones...whether the neutral leans cool or warm...doesn't mean it won't go, but it won't go as well with certain shades.

So I think you need to decide if you want the room to read warm or cool...there are neutrals like beiges that will read warm and neutrals like grays that will read cool...

• teacats
    9 years ago

Possible color ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Decorators White CC-20

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another possible color .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- White Dove OC-17

• teacats
    9 years ago

And still another possible color .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Oxford White 869

• teacats
    9 years ago

And another fresh white ......

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Simply White OC-117

• mayaswell
    9 years ago

I was looking for a neutral no-undertones creamish beige for my bedroom/mbr [to pair with a pale blue] when I landed on Valspar/Eddie Bauer/Wicker. When I had it mixed at Lowes, I was told it was their most popular neutral with the professional decorators who frequent that particular store (for whatever that is worth!)

It is truly neutral in EVERY light: daylight, incandescent, florescent. Several family members have since used it and say the same thing whether paired with warm or cool. It's a family & friend's favorite now. :) There are many pics of it online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valspar EB Wicker

• callie25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. Here's a photo of the room with the comforter I use most. The photo doesn't represent the true color of the walls, there are no pink undertones. I think the color is BM Muslin, which is a light beige. I would also like the décor to be changed a bit, any suggestions? Thanks

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I would change out the window treatments. Do you need the bottom curtain? If not, I'd go for a plain shade --- I like bamboo shades --- and side drapes (with ribbon?), or maybe relaxed Roman blinds. However, I notice that unless you move the bed, drapes may be a problem with the window next to the bed.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I am absolutely in love with the new Benjamin Moore Williamsburg Collection. The colors are just amazing.

For an all-around neutral, check out CW-30, Market Square Shell. It is the color on the bottom of the wall in this pic.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Let's see:

a)Love the idea of fresh white walls

b)Try simple white sheers and curtain panels .... hang them quite high on the walls to add visual height to the room ....

c)Find a couple of larger artworks for the walls

d)For a quick bedding change -- add a white quilt to the bed -- and fold the comforter across the bottom of the bed ....

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Also, try grouping your smaller art together on one wall. Right now, they're a little lost on the large expanse of wall.

Teacats is on to something! Fresh white with the dark wood tones would be so pretty.
    A vibe like this, excepting the architecture of course.

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Wayzata Architects & Designers Eskuche Design

Tone on tone and using your folded comforter to add some color.

[Beach Style Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2110) by Montauk Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchens & Baths, Linda Burkhardt

Hanging the curtains close to the ceiling and widening the rods so that the curtains hang on the outside of the window will let in more light. If privacy is a concern, use shades inside the window frame.