Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliatallmadge

show me your laundry detergent storage?

juliatallmadge
16 years ago

Having recently switched to powdered detergent, I'm looking for a pretty decorative tin or something to store it in. Any ideas/recommendations?

Comments (17)

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

Great question. I am just aching to try the natural homemade detergents. (Has anybody tried them?) My only two hesitations have been if my husband would like it without the overwhelming chemically frangrant scent, and what to put it in.

I am anxious to hear what everybody else is using too.

• juliatallmadge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i should be more specific-- after reading such RAVE reviews of Charlies soap on the laundry forum- i ordered some up for me and DH. it arrives in a kind of paper package like flour comes in and i'm trying to figure out the best way to store it. to be 100% honest, i'm still finishing the very end of our regular 'ol liquid detergent, but am v. excited about the switch. maybe i should have posted this on the laundry forum... but thought people here might have some creative/design-y ideas. The only thing i've found is this:

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry detergent tin

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Thinking out of the box here, those big popcorn tins come to mind. You might find one that is already cute, or you could paint one, decoupage it, mosaic it, etc. Look at your local drugstore or discount mart.

You can also try "detergent tin" and "popcorn tin" on eBay, as well as "storage tin," "large storage tin" and "storage bin." You could also look around at your local Goodwill.

Or, you might want to pick up a nice plant stand with a door down below, or maybe a wicker trunk where you can hide the whole box. You can browse CL for small dressers or chests. You can even stroll your local antique shops.

I'd be wondering if I could make or buy something that would sit right over the washer and one turn of the crank would allow just the right amount of powder to drop down into the washer -- kind of like those shampoo dispensers for the shower stall? A pet food bin and then decoupage pretty flowers all over it? Don't laugh -- I've seen that done to a plastic sprinkling pail and it was gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pet food dispenser

• cindyloowoo
    16 years ago

Can you post a pic of your laundry room so we can see your style and where you might place a container? The firss thing I thought of was a large clear glass canister. That would look pretty on a counter. You could even look for a cookie jar in a style that suits you. Does it need to be air tight? I wouldn't think so, but not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass canister

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I got the canisters from Big Lots and the labels from a vendor at the flea market. The bottles with the red tops are water bottles (I spray painted the tops), and the wavy bottles on the far end are cocktail mixer bottles. I used an empty detergent box as a flower pot. People ask if I have to refill the containers often--no, I have a front loader and only use a tablespoon of detergent per load.

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

I found a set of vintage tin kitchen canisters at a yard sale. I use two of them to hold my powdered detergent, and the smallest one holds dryer sheets.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I believe I got this tin at TJMaxx. I actually store my laundry det behind the curtain.

{{gwi:1538889}}

• littledog
    16 years ago

Mustangs, great quote.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

julia - I also use Charlies for a long time and love it!!! My Charlies soap storage is neither pretty nor fancy, but it is very practical and works great or me - since my laundry room is a catchall mess I needed an easy lid. I use a 1 lb plastic Folger's coffee container. I taped the Charlies name from the bag on the front & stick the green scoop inside the detergent. It is easy to handle, has a lid & the red sticks out so I can find it on the messy shelf:)
    Oh Mustangs - what organization!!! Love it! I am going to clip your pic for inspiration w/ your permission- I have the white cabinets - the shelf - and the counter - just NOT the organization!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I use Tide Liquid, but do use the Oxyclean powder to supplement it. I've been looking for a place to store mine, too. I was just in TJ Maxx yesterday and saw metal tins similar to daisyadair's cool one, but they were all for the kitchen . . . no laundry ones to be seen. Mustang, I love yours (and your artwork quote, too!). Did you find them recently? I'd love to see more pics of yours and Daisy's laundry rooms. They look great!

• tinam61
    16 years ago

My stuff is in a cabinet, and I only use liquid. Please let us know how you like this new powder.

On one of my favorite cottage blogs, the gal recently shared her laundry room. She had a pretty and unique way to store her detergent. On top of the dryer she had an old wicker suitcase. The suitcase was open and a pretty piece of lace or old tea-cloth, something along that line (I can't remember!) was draped over the top of the suitcase (hang down on the inside of the lid). She had one of those glass canister type jars with the green lid and a vintage looking label on the jar. That held her powdered detergent. She had a bottle of liquid sitting beside it. They both sat inside the bottom half of the suitcase.

tina

• juliatallmadge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone- these are such great and creative ideas! DH is making fun of me (appropriately perhaps) bc we're actually still in the process of (re)building our house but being an obsessive planner and tiring of researching sinks and flooring, and appliances.. i got thinking about pretty laundry detergent storage for down the road. My I do sound certifiable! Anyway that's why I have no photo as of yet cindyloowoo. Right now I'm stuck doing laundry is in the dark, dank basement of a rental apartment.... but I dream of better days... and I am excited to try the Charlies soap regardless! Love the idea of the kitchen canisters with tablespoon slots since that's all is called for w. Charlies soap- would be nice to have the measuring spoon right there. Thanks again everyone!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Thank you for your comments! I don't do a lot right but I like my laundry room.

To the question about recent purchase--I purchased the canisters about 4 years ago but have seen them within the last month at Walmart and Big Lots.

To the request for pictures:

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I use Charlie's Soap. I have the big 5 gallon bucket stored in a cabinet under the utility sink in my mudroom. I have a smaller canister of Charlies on a shelf next to my washer. As I run out, which takes a loooong time, I refill the small canister from the big bucket! If you are thinking of trying Charlie's, don't use any of your other detergent while using Charlie's. In other words, don't switch back and forth or you will never see the full benefits! I do not use any softener with Charlie's. After continued use, you don't need any. You're clothes get softer and you won't have any more wrinkles than you would if you used a softner, so why bother?!

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlie's

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Thanks for the extra pic (and the info), Mustangs . . . I love, love, love your wonderful laundry room!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Thank you. I am fond of the picture on the back wall as I met the artist in the Bahamas when I made the purchase. I'm sure he would be ticked if he knew that I painted his lady's hat and laundry red so I could incorporate it into my laundry room.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

OMG . . . too funny, I do that, too! Geezlouise, we'd better hope that we're not ruining future Monets or Picassos ;~P The painting is wonderful, though, and I like her hat red.