Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travelingrory_gw

Living Room Paint Color Help/Advice Needed

travelingrory
10 years ago

Hey all,
I'm really wanting to change the paint color in my living room. I am keeping the sofa, and the artwork that you see in the photo. Right now it's a soft gray/blue that's nice but I'm looking for a change. I was kind of debating a pale gray but looking to hear other opinions or color recommendations. Thanks in advance! :)

Comments (22)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

How about something neat-o like this, using a blue to match the blue in your pillows, and paintable wallpaper for the lower half?

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think my tiny house could handle a color that saturated, but I love the idea of a half wall wallpaper. Wonder if it'd be too much for my L shaped Living/Dining/Entry Room...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, yes, blue!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If it's the right color, the size of the room/house doesn't matter at all. In fact, "bold" colors lend a more sophisticated look.

Google paintable wallpaper, then click "images" and you can see a ton of different styles. Put up a simple chair rail to separate the paper and paint sections.

It comes in all different styles, from beadboard to fancy shmancy, contemporary, etc.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess maybe I'm afraid of it looking too monochromatic? If the blue in the artwork, pillows, etc AND the wall color are the same?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Btw, it's actually the opposite: bold colors do better in small spaces where there isn't a lot of wall area. It's large wall area that causes a color to look saturated and depress a room with a bold, dark color. They're GREAT, though, in rooms with small wall area.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just think the blue is too much. I don't want everything to be the same color...

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Not with that sofa, white table, bottom half a different color, white chair railâ¦.

Monochromatic would be in everything were blue. But blue accents with the yellow sofa and other white accentsâ¦gorgeous.

If you decide to go that route, I'd suggest taking one of the pillows to the paint store to match it to the chips. Blue can be very tough to match sight unseen. But you definitely want a blue that is on the same spectrum of blues as the blue in your pillows, if not the same, because blues are very, very different from each other and can really clash.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Honestly, I think the blue is too much. I really don't care for dark, saturated color. I want open, airy, light, bright not cozy, intimate, bold, or intense.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, I wasn't pushing it; out last two comments crossed in posting.

Okay, we'll back away from the blue.

BM Revere Pewter is a failsafe, very nice gray.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love revere pewter but it looks more taupe than gray to me in person. Any experience with it in real life? Maybe it goes on more gray than it appears on the swatch.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

You're right, it is very taupe because it's on a green spectrum.

You should go to the paint store and look at grays on black and blue spectrums so that you get a cooler gray rather than a taupe-y gray. Sherwin Williams seems to have some beautiful grays.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been into SW in awhile so I'll definitely check them out this week. I'm sure the easiest thing to do would just be to buy some samples and put them up!! Thanks, Tibbrix!!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I love your sofa. Yes, narrow down a few choices using chips, then get a few samples and put swatches up on the wall and live with it for a couple of days so you can see each color in the changing light.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It's the Petrie from Crate & Barrel. Not sure if this color is still available. I lucked out and got the deal of the year on this one since it was a floor sample, and it was in pristine condition. Even with taxes and delivery an hour away, it was half the original price.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It's the Petrie from Crate & Barrel. Not sure if this color is still available. I lucked out and got the deal of the year on this one since it was a floor sample, and it was in pristine condition. Even with taxes and delivery an hour away, it was half the original price.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I sampled a gazillion grays and ended up with Benjamin Moore Gray Owl. Not too blue, not too green, not too pinkish. But as you see on the pics, definitely needs to be sampled in real life in your room.

• tfitz1006
    10 years ago

Not sure how it would play with your sofa but maybe Shelbourne Buff or Philadelphia cream? I've got a goldfish colored sofa and I like the combo. This is phila cream.

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nosoccermom and tfitz, I'll check both of those out and see how they look in person.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I like the blue you have now! How about BM Horizon? I think it's on the same "strip" with Gray Owl, just a little lighter.

I'd be looking for a true gray, not a greige or taupe, with just a hint of blue.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Travel, check out BM Vintage Pewter. It's a gray gray (i.e.: on the white/black spectrum) and BM pairs it with a gold, so it might go very nicely with your sofa.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

One more suggestion-- Fieldstone. Kinda gray, kinda green, kinda blue. I sampled it in my kitchen/family room but I didn't want any blue, so I nixed it, but I still think it's a great color.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Fieldstone[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bay-area-remodel-transitional-bedroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~5560250)