Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earlykitchen

pottery barn home office furniture

earlykitchen
12 years ago

Does anyone know anything about the quality of PB home office furniture. Particularly interested in the Whitney or Bedford line including file cabinets. Just wondering if anyone might have these and if they are happy with them.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)

• lolauren
    12 years ago

In case you don't know, the PB web site does have "customer comments" (reviews) for each item. You have to search to find the link.

I have the Printers Keyhole Desk.... not the line you want, but still PB. I like it and would order again. I think it's a decent value. The drawers/hardware all glide nicely. The wood is pretty. The only negative (which I expected from reading the reviews) is that the top gets scratched from every day use. Since mine is a rustic looking desk, it's easy to fill in the scratches with a stain stick.

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

I have had the corner bedford desk for about 7 years. I think is just ok quality. The edges wear and I do have some chips on the edges of the drawers. It's only me who uses it and I am not hard on furniture. If you do decide the get the Bedford set, make sure you get the glass tops. Mine is the brown-black.

• mellyc123
    12 years ago

I have a PB desk, chair and printer hutch in white. Can't remember the style. I have a lot of chips on all 3 pieces. For the price I am disappointed, It gets frequent use and is about 4 years old.
    In the future I will get wood vs painted and get a glass top about a 4th inch larger to protect the top edges.

• suewoman
    11 years ago

Hello. Late response to this so you may have already made a decision. I have the Bedford in white in our home office. We have an older Greek revival home with detached garage and apartment above (now the home office). Decor is beach cottage style as we wanted something happy while we were working. So the Bedford was the style we wanted. We did our own tops. The cabinets themselves look great. Quality is so-so. We have an actual "working" office we run all of our businesses out of. No employees at this location but all the business office items we handle. So they get daily, hard use. Plus store alot of files. We have several sizes of the filing cabinets. All drawers feel "wobbly" when extended, especially the big laterals. Also, none of the drawers are full extension (an annoyance with the children's furniture I have from them as well). So, its very difficult to get to files at the back. FInally, the way they configured the hanging file metal "supports" inside causes you to lose additional space in the front and the back. They are about a centimeter from the front/back exterior "walls" and files will get wedged in that area and they are very diffucult to get out without hurting your fingers. Add to that the lack of full extension and you never see your files in the back. Overall, they look fantastic and we have not had a problem with nicks, etc. as we made our own tops and the faces of the cabinets do not get banged up; however.....practical use annoys me daily. I would have gone with another manuafacturer had I been able to find a similar style. If you just want a place for bills, home reference files, etc...its probably fine but for a working office I would go with someone else. We had Bisley in our old home office which had a more modern feel and they were beyond great. Hope that helps.

• Gecko123
    11 years ago

Ive come across some of this stuff before and it seemed pretty good, the finish and build were good quality considering the cost of some other types of office furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Executive Office Desks

• mbaoffice
    10 years ago

Hi earlykitchen, we are filing cabinets Melbourne retailer and have a great range of filing cabinets in stock

Here is a link that might be useful: Filing cabinets Melbourne

• marvelousmarvin
    10 years ago

Smart Money Magazine had an article that really ripped into the perceived quality of Pottery Barn furniture, which argued that people were paying way too much for what they really got.