Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

How to finish/cover these windows

ssdarb
10 years ago

Hello, this is a great room (kitchen, breakfast, family). The kitchen is almost done being remodeled then there is the wooden table and then family room furniture (to be changed and a rug added). In the family room we are going to change the fireplace to be stones to the ceiling and a rustic mantle.

The room gets a ton of light and I need to get them covered before too long as summer is coming.

Should I trim them? I think it looks strange to have just sheetrock and then the window. There's no trim. There is a window sill at the bottom.

I need some blinds (roman shades, wood blinds, honeycomb?). I don't think I want drapery, but maybe after I put the blinds I may decide to add drapery later.

Colors: Should I sort of match the wall color (SW Monorail Silver) and use a patterned fabric roman shade? Or perhaps bring in a warmer element using a wooden material or a woven fabric that is more earth-toned, especially since the fireplace will have stone? I would prefer whatever I do to be subtle (not a focal point) because the view is a focal point and the fireplace will also be a focal point.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closer up look at the actual windows. See, no trim, just sheetrock. Perhaps if I use a combination of blinds and drapery I wouldn't need to trim them? Or trimming may what I want to do.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for multiple posts, I need to learn how to post more than one picture! Here is another view of the undressed windows.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'd just put cordless wood-slat blinds in them. Beautiful, clean look.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The windows are so close together I don't think trim is needed and it may be too much. If you want them to be subtle and blend in I would do roman shades in a quiet pattern the color of your walls...maybe a tone on tone for some added texture or something small. I don't think I would do blinds...that's a lot of horizontal lines when they are open competing with the stone in your fireplace.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you joaniepoanie. I think that sounds nice, roman shades in a subtle tone on tone fabric. Should mount them inside the window opening or on the outside? Thank you.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tribbriz, how do cordless shades work, how do I raise and lower them?

Also I forgot to ask, you see these tiny windows at the top? Should they get their own little shade or a valance? Or if I should mount the roman shades on the outside then should it be one shade top to bottom? Thanks.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'd leave the transom windows as they are.

The cordless blinds have kind of a clip in the middle of the bottom slat, and you simply push the blinds up or pull them down from that clip spot. On the left is one of those plastic things you twirl to open and close the slats. I have friends who have them and they work really well and look good because they don't have the cords hanging all over the place. Mine have the cords because I'm a pobrecita!

the white wood slat blinds thing is VERY common where I live on Cape Cod because of its fresh, breezy, clean, crisp beachy look. I absolutely love them. I don't care for Roman shades!

So interesting all the different tastes here!

Definitely would do an inside mount.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 21:09

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Also, your windows are big enough and deep enough that you could get blinds with wider slats so that, when open, more light comes in and there is more space between the slats. This pic has the narrower slats. In my BR, I have the narrower slats on the smaller windows and the big slats on my five-foot windows.

My bedroom pic:

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would also leave the transom windows as is unless you will have really strong sun.coming in and need to cover them. Yes, inside mount if possible.

I love blinds and was going to suggest plantation shutters but again with all those windows so close together I think they will be too much and overpower the space.

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

Tibbrix your room is lovely!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Thanks Mayberry. It was an outbuilding on a huge dairy farm back in 1880.