Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feisty68

need advice on artwork/cabinetry in small family living/dining

feisty68
10 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm looking for advice on hanging artwork, cabinetry, and bookshelves in the open concept living/dining/kitchen area of our apartment home. We are a family of four and we use the space for cooking, eating, music listening, TV watching, game playing, homeschooling, playdates, and my home office (part time consultant).

We are mid-kitchen-reno so photos won't help much, but the space has a large north-facing window with a view of mountains and suburban homes. The site finished oak floor has been extended and refinished throughout the whole area.

I want to keep the finishes and furniture colours calm, and showcase the canvas artworks that I own. The one I've shown below is a two-panel piece that can be hung side by side or in a corner. I've shown it in a corner to create a focal point.

We obviously need storage so I've planned low wall-mounted. cabinets and bookshelves extending 12-15" deep. I'd like to keep things as open and spacious as possible given the space. I have found that whenever I use full height bookshelves or cabinets, it feels oppressive and visually cluttered...partly because the ceilings are just a speck under 8'.

I've shown below existing furniture - a small fuzzy loveseat and two comfortable Poang chairs (in place of gold chairs in mockup). I know they're IKEA cliches. Not sure if there are inexpensive alternatives that are at least as comfortable and fit as well and child-proof. A neutral rug is probably in our future, as well as soft white curtains to the right of the window.

I've tried to mock up below the artwork/bookshelves/cabinetry/furniture dimensions and planned placement. This is looking from the home entrance/kitchen side (there is no ceiling trim as shown:

This post was edited by feisty68 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 17:28

Comments (12)

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here I've included the dining area, trying to shown the painting that has green in it. My actual table is round birch 51" diameter (expandable). My actual dining chairs are similar to these but with gold velvet fabric:

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd love comments on the dining/living layout and planned cabinetry/artwork. The space is somewhat challenging due to the corner bumpout, windows only at ends, etc.

For completeness, below is the view of the kitchen and front entrance from the dining/living area. I wanted these West Elm counter stools but they're gone :( (any other suggestions? want adjustable)

This post was edited by feisty68 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 17:11

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

floor plan:

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still welcoming comments on this. Or, feedback why no replies? Thanks very much :)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about bookcases. Not only can they feel looming, but none of my books look that great on a shelf.

If it was me, I'd use lower storage, as you've shown, but with doors instead of open shelves, to reduce the cluttered look that can come from stacks of board games, movies, and toys. Open shelving with baskets would look nice, but not be nearly as flexible as adjustable shelving. It also looks like what you've shown isn't too deep, which is another plus.

I'd love to see photos of your artwork!

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Annkh - thanks for your reply!

Yes, I was planning to have most of the cabinetry covered with doors. The open shelving would only be bookcases below the corner painting. I think that would be pretty unobstrusive because the books would be mostly behind the chairs. I do like seeing books in a living room though - feels cozy.

These paintings were done my mother - the one on the right looks cool hung in the corner like I've tried to show in my rendering.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Cool - thanks!

• feisty68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still hoping for some input on this :)

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Is there any specific you are concerned about? Looks good to me the way it is.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks louislinus. Just asking about whether I'm on the right track here.

• crl_
    9 years ago

It looks good to me. Do you think that's enough seating in the living room? It seems to just fit four, so if you have friends over, what will you do? Bring dining room chairs over? That could work. What do you think about some floor pillows or poufs or something that kids might sit on when you have company? They might even fit under the besta cabinet. Or an ottoman?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

If this were my space, I might try the table where the sofa is now and flip the rooms. That would give you lots more options for living room arrangement and not limit tv viewing to the poangs, plus you'd have a nice dining view.

The only other feedback I have is I'd hang the dining room art on the wall to the right of the tv. They are both wonderful, but they seem to compete with each other on the same side of the room.