Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lake_girl_gw

A reclining sofa that doesn't look like a reclining sofa??

Lake_Girl
11 years ago

Our LR furniture placement is so hard to work out, and has been the entire time we've lived here. I really only have room for the sofa and loveseat, but my DH and kids want to recline. Has anyone seen a reclining sofa that doesn't LOOK like a reclining sofa? I think this would solve our delimma, however I do not like the way they look. I'm not a fan of the typical large rolled arms, and how each section looks disjointed. This is SO NOT what I had in mind for my next sofa. I was thinking of something maybe slipcovered, turned legs, much more traditional. Oh well, any thoughts???

Comments (20)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

There are many designs out there that do not look like the typical recliner. I used to have a queen anne style wing chair that was a recliner. Everyone used it so much it wore out (15 years of use). Guests were amazed when they saw it recline for the first time. It was from Rowe furniture. Also lazyboy has some good designs I've seen.

• StellaMarie
    11 years ago

Stickley has a motion series (their 400 series) that looks like a regular sofa/sectional, and which you can customize. It's pretty expensive and I haven't seen it IRL, so not sure how helpful I am -- but it looks good online. :)

I've linked the Stickley page where you can download their brochure, in case you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stickley Link

This post was edited by StellaMarie on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 16:57

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Norwalk. Below is the link. You can choose your own fabric and it's about as expensive as a Lazy-boy. They're beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwalk Recliner's

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

oakleyok - that link shows all chairs. Did you post the wrong one?

• annie1971
    11 years ago

I have to say I was stunned the last time I went to our local Lazy Boy show room. If you have one close by -- take a look. It's now your daddy's/granddaddy's/hubby's recliner furniture anymore.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'm looking for a reclining sofa, not a chair. Thanks for the info so far.

• wagnerpe
    11 years ago

This one looks pretty traditional and 'non-recliner-y'

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy Boy Jenna Sofa

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Lakegirl, I missed the sofa part. LOL. Yeah, those are chairs.

Have you thought about getting 2 recliners (smallish/medium) instead of using a loveseat? You'd have better options of rearranging your room plus giving people their own "space" & lamplight when reading, etc.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey the Lane and Klaussner look nice, much better than the huge bulky ones . I need to check out Klaussner, I'd not heard of them before. I did like those Norwalk reclining chairs, Oakley:) I might get away with two recliners, but they'd have to be close, so that might look odd. Anymore ideas??

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Ours is Klaussner. Creamy leather, and it's got those rolled arms you hate! Guests have been known to ask, "Did I just die and go to heaven," while reclining! :-))

We love it so much, we are purchasing 4 recliner chairs for our new house' media room.

I guess we just like to kick back and recline!

Suzi

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Suzi. I think I'm stuck in the middle. This room is our only "family/living room", and it's pretty much the first thing you see (in fact you can see it through the glass front door), when you come in. Also, the style of this house is sort of victorian/farmhouse combo look, not exactly oversized, sink-in, media room cozy. But on the other hand, this is where we watch t.v., and I'd like it to be comfortable for my family. And there's the problem!

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

We looked at the Lazy Boy recliners - the looks of some would work for us, but they weren't very comfortable for us.

We got Ekornes Stressless sofas. They recline and are very comfortable. They don't have an integrated foot rest, there are separate ottomans to use with them. We got the theater seating grouping because we like having at least one arm rest per seat, but you can get them in a normal couch configuration. Ours are large (wider seat) but they also have a medium size if you need more compact. In depth (front to back) they are pretty compact because they use a metal frame which allows for a thin back. There is a high back if you prefer that. We got the low back because it makes the room feel molre open and it's high enough for us and we got a couple of their recliners for when we want a higher back.

They are pretty expensive but I expect them to be a very long term purchase.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice spread cloud, that looks very comfortable! But I'm still more of a traditional girl. Barcalounger has a nice leather one, but its a little more than I was thinking of spending, and I'm not sure I want leather.. But atleast its heading in the right direction.

• sheila patel
    5 years ago
    Hi Lake Girl, did you ever end up finding anything? I'm in the same position you were in
  • Jennifer Kyriakodis
    4 years ago

Me too! So glad I'm not the only one!

• Peg
    last year

@Lake_Girl, you took the words right out of my mouth! Even though this is 9 years old when you first asked, I am wanting the same! Love the recline but do NOT like the look of most reclining furniture. Hope you found something !

• jexy99
    last year

Peg, i also am looking for the same!

Comfort of a recliner but not the lookogf one . Did you find something? Hoping there is something out there right now on the market but my searches have come up empty

• TERI JAYE TAKAHATA
    last year

Arhaus Coburn Motion

• Dawn Teeters
    last year

This recliner sofa at Haverty’s might be a good fit https://www.havertys.com/products/product-page/ava-sofa

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County