Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Husband insisting on hanging light before table HELP

Posted by jterrilynn (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 16:31

The light has cables so I want it right. The light can come down another 6", ceiling is 8'. Right now he has it at 67 1/4 " off the floor. The next size rod will bring it down 6". He says he is not changing it but I talked him out of cutting the cables. Too high where its at? He will listen to you all lol.  photo image_zpsa552b1e7.jpg  photo image_zps6fc67d0a.jpg photo image_zpsbbd07887.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Husband insisting on hanging light before table HELP

Can't see your pictures, but I might go ahead and call an electrician once the table is in place. That is what I did. He was happy to try various rod sections together. He even suggested trying once more with the longest rod section combined with one of the others, but I decided to live with it for a while and see. He was right.

Husbands aren't always as willing to try and try again. Maybe if they were being paid... ;)

o

Thank you Cyn, I don't know what's up with photobucket . The pictures loaded but will not show here. Anyway I talked him into a break. He is just getting tired from remodel ...just don't want him cutting any cables! I think it's too high but the man says its a stupid light and he's doing no adjustments lol.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:30

o

Rule of thumb is that the fixture should hang to 30" above the table. Since tables are 30" high, this means it should hang at 60" off the floor. This really looks too low when the table is absent, but hanging it higher means less light gets to the table and the shadows are less flattering to the happy faces clustered around it.

o

http://www.residentiallighting.com/proper-height-hanging-dining-room-chandelier

In case you want to "show him." My husband is not from Missouri. I think he is from another planet. He has to be shown, led by the nose kicking and screaming.

o

We had a 5'6" electrician tell us that 66" was the preferred distance from the floor so he installed every fixture over a table so that the bottom was at the top of his head. Handy!

o

Heehee clt3. Did he pick the career based on his height or was it a lucky discovery after he became an electrician?

o

Interesting. I'm planning to get a new light and wanted to ask if there was a rule on how low it should hang. I just measured my current light at it's 40" from the table. I'm so used to it at that height, I can't imagine it being 30". I like where yours in now, but I'd have to see it lower to know which I would like better. I know, that doesn't help much :)
I would probably leave it where it is though.

o

Love the glow even without the bottom cover plate fuser. But I’m thinking too high. Anyway, husband has calmed down from the bad instructions so I am no longer in a panic. It’s staying half done until the table comes. I think what’s bugging my eye is that it is on another plane from the range hood. This may be silly!
 photo image_zps527e506d.jpg

Over 6’ man sitting under light.
 photo image_zps6fc67d0a.jpg

Clt3, funny but handy!

Patricia, he has calmed down but not enough to show him a link yet lol. I have to say those direction's were pretty bad.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:32

o

Bless his heart. They mean well. I might be married to his brother. LOL.

o

When are you getting the table? Can't wait to see the final outcome!

o

Msrose, I was hoping for the table today but it’s not going to happen. I found an ad on CL for two round glass top tables. One had a base of golden tones (sort of a eighties table but very cool). The glass top to the table base I wanted was around 50” the other table has a tiny white ceramic base with a 60” glass top. I was trying to get the guy to swap table tops and the kook won’t do it (yet). The 60” top is far better suited for the golden base size. So, I told him to keep my number if he gets no bites. I’m thinking I will eventually get a call because the bigger table top on that puny white stem will be a hard sell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here