Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_vetter_miles

Window Treatments...Drapes/Shutters help

Tammi Vetter_Miles
10 years ago

Thanks again for the advice on my area rugs. I am back with another question, same room. I have a large set of windows and then a single window in my LR. The large set (3 side by side) are at the front of the house and the single window is a side window. I also have a double set of windows in my DR. Currently, I have panels from Restoration Hardware on them and do not love them. They were a quick decision when we moved in and I regret it.

I am thinking of adding a shutter to the single window in the LR and new panels for the LR/DR. Looking at some panels from Ballard for this. I also do not the pull backs so moving away from those. My main concern is only putting a shutter on one window. Is this a no-no? My gut says it is ok but I do not want to make another costly mistake. I just want to be done with this room!

These are similar shots from my last post but all angles of the rooms.......again in multiple posts because I can't add more than one photo.

Many thanks!

Comments (25)

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2 of 4. Sorry these are so dark. Gloomy outside, usually a very bright room.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not able to post the other 2 photos. I keep "message rejected". Hmmmm

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I tried several times to load a photo. I have a photo of the side window on my last thread titled "Did I screw up?"

But I am sure it too much hassle. In general is there a rule of thumb when mixing window treatments?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Plantation shutters would be PERFECT there, IMO.

You could also do the white slat blinds., which would give you more light when they're open. If you open plantation shutters via the shutters, they're bulkier. If you open them by the panels, they'll either be i the way of the curtains (or vice versa) or they'll stick out a lot at the leading edge of the curtains.

I would also hang the curtains in panels. The pulled back looks is kind of dated, I think. In addition, I would hang white panels rather than the dark curtains. With that darker wall color and the brown wood of the coffee table and chair legs, white panels, along with the shutters or blinds ,would look crisp and fresh, I think.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, thanks so much. Never in a million years would I have thought to use white panels. I love it though. So what do you think about the DR windows, white as well? Lastly, what type of fabric would you recommend?

I do agree with the swag on the drapes. Not my favorite look but the panels are so droopy/flimsy and look terrible as panels. But their days are numbered. :-)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Well, I think you can never go wrong with lined linen drapes. Heavy linen hangs so beautifully, and it's a beautiful fabric.

From RH

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Those RH line drapes also come in a crisper white. I kind of like the rusticity of the ones in the pic I put up.

Can you upload the photo of your DR so it's on this thread as well? Easier than going way back to find the other thread every time.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

You could also get top-down cellular binds so that you can lower them to the middle of the windows and just have the bottom windows covered. this would still give you a view, light, but also privacy.

If you went with plantation shutters, you could do top and bottom shutters, again for the same reason: being able to close just the bottom shutters. However, because of the width of the window, plantation shutters concern me because of how they'd look when open.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side window.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay, I can post photos again. Maybe there was a glitch earlier.

Tibbrix, I really love the RH panels you posted. I will look into those. I agree, I like a more rustic look and not sure I could got Bright white.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should also mention, I am in the market for a new chandelier.

I have shutters on the same sized windows in my family room and love the way they look. Do you mean you would not like they way they look when the actual shutter doors are opened? I rarely use that window so I don't think that would be an issue.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I would really consider investing in top-down cellular blinds for all of they windows along with white panel drapes. The drapes would hide the cords of the blinds.

Others here are better about this than am I, but I also wonder if the curtain rod shouldn't be lowered to just the top of the window trim. Not sure. But the high bar doesn't sit right for me, for some reason. Moving the rod lower is not a big deal. It is very easy to patch holes in drywall and paint over them.

What are others' opinions about the placement of the curtain rods?

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I strongly dislike cellular shades. Something about the look of them. I admit I have them in my 3 boys' rooms but they are blackout shades and love them for that.

What about a double (100") width panel? Would that help? Or do you feel like a shade of some sort is the only way to go?

As far as the rod, if I have to move it I will. We are DIY people so patching a hole is not an issue. I was always under the impression that as close to the ceiling or crown as possible? I am in Real Estate and work with stagers and I also hear this from them. But, if it looks off then I will change it.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Hmmmâ¦those rustic white drapes from RH would go well with your DR chairs, no?

I think you have amazing taste.

Yes, I was talking about the shutters being open. If you leave them closed, maybe get shutters only for the bottoms? Wouldn't you want daylight coming in?

Re: new chandy: I think this would look stunning in your DR, traditional/rustic/contemporary hybrid.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think if I went with plantation shutters, I'd skip drapes altogether.

If I wanted drapes, I'd hang the white cordless wood slat blinds. they look good behind drapes, even when the slats are flat to let light in, you can manually close only the bottom slats if you want, etc. I've got them in my bedroom and absolutely love them. They are very popular on Cape Cod because of that beachy, crisp airy look they give.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I was hoping to do panels on the big living room window and the dining room and then shutters only on the side window. My concern was mixing up the different window treatments.

I LOVE that chandelier. Where is that from?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Chandelier is from Shades of Light, and it's only $499! That is a very good price for a heavy iron chandelier. Notice on the site that there is also a large one for $699. You have to figure out which is the correct size for your table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandy

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 22:28

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A big thank you!!! You have been an amazing sounding board!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I've got too much time on my hands!

I Googled that curtain thing, and it looks like, in general, you are right, that most hang the rod above the trim. But not all. Something about that exposed wall bothers me. Maybe it's just me.

I saw a pic where the rod is hung that high, but they also put a valance made from the same fabric as the curtain across the open wall space, and it looks great!

Also, check out how the curtains are hung on the thread "Confused" here. She did it inside the trim! I've never seen that, It looks fantastic. And she used lacy curtains, so it works really well, IMO.

Let me know if you get that chandy. I think it would look terrific in your DR. Follow up with a pic!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Esp. if you get that chandelier, you know what I'd do? I'd paint the DR ceiling either a couple of shades lighter OR a couple of shades darker in the wall color. The glow from the chandy lights would be amazing.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 10:06

• dakota01
    10 years ago

Only thing I would comment on regarding the rods - would be that "beefier" rods and finials might look better and you could keep them up high like you have them. current ones, Just look alittle too thin for the weight of the room and the long drape panels.

I have the top down bottom up blinds in my MBR and I dont' like them. I think I'm just lazy and hate moving them up and down - next time I would get motorized blinds! I have half plantation shutters on my front windows which is my kitchen and dining room and I do like them. In the kitchen I have a valace and in the DR I have size panels non moving panels.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I absolutely think you can do a plantation shutter on that small window and drapes on the big grouped windows, in fact I think it would look much better than that drape swagged over it. I have a bunch of shutters in my home, and they let in TONS of light when the louvers are opened, as much or more than blinds, I never need to open the shutter (on the hinges, like a door, for light.)

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, I love the idea of painting the ceiling in the DR. A new chandy is probably 6 months out unfortunately. I have to do my re-designs in small doses so either hubby doesn't notice or not overwhelmed with my expenses! As far as the rod height, I see what you are saying but my ceiling are only 8 ft and I think going lower makes them seem lower. In my eat in kitchen I originally had panels hung right at the window trim and then raised it to the crown, looks so much better.

Jeannie, yes I was planning on getting thicker rods, probably wood rods. I threw these panels up when we bought the house as they were fairly inexpensive and I could not spend a lot on window treatments at the time. We were in the midst of a nearly full house remodel and finishing touches was just not in the budget. Now I am focusing on the small things.

I think my plan is to do the plantation shutter and then either the RH panels or something similar. I like the idea of going lighter.

Everyone is so helpful, I really appreciate the ideas/insight!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

city, agree that keeping the drapes high probably adds height to the ceiling.

Always fun to drag out improvements anyway so you can enjoy the process longer, as well as having time to enjoy each new change for a while. but I will so exited to see your DR with that chandy and painted ceiling (if you do it). I'd ask the painter about doing it in eggshell or matte. Celings are usually done in matte, right? But I think you might want the subtle sheen from eggshell for the light to reflect.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like plantation shutters.

I think you can also hang a faux drape on the outside of your plantation shutters, but hang the rod at least 6 inches to 1 foot above the shutters and hang the rods and drapes outside the shutters, so that drapes cover the window fraem but do not necessarily have to close. The shutters can be stacked back or closed this way.

I, too, very, very strongly dislike cellular shades.