Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detroit_burb

fireplace surround

detroit_burb
9 years ago

This old brass fireplace surround came with the house. We rebuilt the house down to the studs. I asked the builder to keep this. I have taken the screens out and cleaned them, and the doors cleaned up well too. The problem is the antique brass finish on this does not complement the new room. I am thinking a pewter finish would look best. I tried some rub'n'buff on it, but it does not look right from all angles, and the product is not really for metal.

I wanted some suggestions about what color this would look best in, and if anyone had any ideas on how to refinish this. I cleaned it with acetone thinking this would affect the coating, but it did not.

Comments (6)

• nini804
    9 years ago

I would use a matte black paint (heat rated.) My neighbor has a slate surround and it is lovely.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

That has to be 40 years old. I had one like that in early marriage. It's a sentimental piece. I don't think rub 'n buff is the way to go nor do I think the black finish. I would ask a body shop about it.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Check out Stove Bright spray paint. I purchased it at a fireplace store. I was about to order new doors because ours were cheapy builder ones and after 30 years they looked worn. The lady at the fireplace store talked me into painting them instead and they look brand new. We did a charcoal color, but I know the paint comes in silver/pewter, etc. it was easy to work with and very forgiving.

• ladyamity
    9 years ago

I too had the original shiny brassy fireplace surround that was put in when the extra room was added on (POs) in 1959.
    I lived with it as long as I could but when we decided to change the curtain rods and a few other elements in the room to a very dark bronze, the shiny, bright surround just stuck out like a black and blue thumb.
    I removed it, cleaned it well, used fine sand paper and going in one direction (Sides of surround I went up and down/top and bottom I went sideways. Make sense? Hope so.) I sanded the brass until it looked like it had a million lines....like graining.
    I wiped off the dust with a damp cloth. Allowed the surround to dry then a little glaze to dark brown paint and a squirt of bronze. Stir well.
    I kept the paint brush light on the surface, one direction.
    When dry, I used a mixture of glaze and the bronze and went over the surround again adding more dark bronzing where needed.
    I waited two days and then using very thin coats, allowing to dry in between coats, I sealed the paint with
    Rust-Oleum Automotive 260771 11-Ounce 2000 Degrees High Heat Spray, Gloss Clear.
    Two coats.
    It's been many years and although we don't use our fireplace every single night during the winter, it does get a lot of use and so far, no sign of the paint fading, chipping or flaking.
    I wish I had a full pic of the surround on this computer.
    Without getting family in the picture, I can show you a little bit of the fireplace surround from recent pics I do have on this computer.

These days there are so many more beautiful colors in spray paints, I would go the spray paint route and then the heat sealer. Unless you want a graining effect like I did, then you lightly brush over spray paint with a craft paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace surround

• ladyamity
    9 years ago

Another small view of the 'graining' I did so that the fireplace surround wouldn't be a solid color.

My apologies. I don't remember how to insert more than one picture in a message box nor do I remember how to insert a picture in the message box. :)
    I'm old. My story, and I'm sticking to it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the surround is likely original and dates to 1950, the firebox is not a typical size and I think this was made for the opening. It is a very heavy surround, and the lines are simple, so does not look like a coveted antique, but this is a 1950 ranch home and even in its original state, it really lacked desirable ornate details worth saving like the older homes around it.

I was going to redo the cast iron grate with black high heat spray, I was not sure of going black with the surround as the tile is a lead grey color, but black would not be as "wrong" as the current finish.

Patricia43, I like your idea of going to a body shop, my kid's 15 year old car needs a painting and maybe I'll throw this job into the deal!