Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Please help with choosing window treatment in new kitchen!

homebuyer23
9 years ago

I desperately need to make a decision on a window treatment for our kitchen window. I cannot leave it bare, as we get direct sunlight through the window allll afternoon, making it hard to cook if its really strong. Plus we need some privacy.

I will attach some (unstaged!) recent photos and a link to my kitche reveal from December. If anyone has a vision of what would look best please share!!

On the other 2 major sets of windows on my first floor, I have dark ivory double layer roman shades. They work well for now and I don't plan on replacing them. Someday when we get replacement windows (within next 5 years hopefully, but no time very soon) I'd consider replacing them, but for now they stay.

I also have the sliding patio doors which we need something on for privacy and for some light control, but that's not as urgent. I really don't know what to put there either, because we didn't really leave enough room for anything to hang down on the left side of the door, the counter ends rather close to it, my daughter sits there all the time, panels there would be in the way I think.

So for the kitchen, I first thought I wanted some sort of natural woven wood shade, in a dark tone to tie in with my coffee stained cherry wood island. But then I worry those will look dated, will get dirty, are too informal...but I still like them.

Today I went in Lowes and found what I thought was perfect, I almost ordered on the spot, but now I'm having doubts & that's why I'm posting...
Fabric Blinds by Bali. I really like them, and think I like this Pebble color. Its just enough contrast without being too dark. I love that they're lightweight, the light control I'd have, the color, and they're relatively an inexpensive option.

But, fabric shades? Just not sure about them. Not sure they're "nice" enough to put on this large window that is the focal point of the whole kitchen.

Heres the sample...do you like it?

I had also been considering a wood blind, in a stained wood tone to match the island. I thought that was a great idea, but then worried when closed it will just be too dark. Also worry about keeping dark wood clean behind a kitchen sink. Dust & water spots...
Sample wood blind

Also thinking I could play it safe and get a white wood blind. Also think this will work best if I ever get ne windows & want new window treatments to all all match through house. But afraid its too much white in the kitchen. But what if I break it up with those fabric tapes running down each side in maybe a gray or blue fabric.

Lastly, would a custom fabric in some sort of print look best? Perhaps with drapes to match on the sliders? I would like to see some fabric in these rooms, but I worry about the expense of that, and if I even have room for panels next to my sliders.

Sorry so long, any advice is sooo appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Homebuyer23 Reveal

Comments (21)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's a shame to cover that window. Could you get an awning on the outside to block the sun? Your view would not change.

• mommyto4boys
    9 years ago

WOW!!! What a beautiful space you have made for your family. You did an awesome job. I agree your window is beautiful & I love an open window, but understand the reasons for needing to cover it too.

I think you could have a little fun with the window covering and add a pop of color and pattern and tie it throughout the kitchen/dining area. I'm picturing a roman shade that when open shows just a little material, enough to give it some color and make a statement. Also, I was thinking if you are concerned about getting the shade wet or dirty, etc. You could have a fake roman look valance that would always look open. And then attach a less expensive white blind behind it; therefore, when the blind is opened, it would hide behind the treatment and showcase your gorgeous window. Here is a picture on houzz, but I think you could have a material with more pizazz in your lovely space.

Also, thank you so much for posting this as you have helped me in my dilemma. We are finishing our home and I have been having regrets on ordering our builtins in a darker stain to flank our fireplace. Seems everywhere I look, they are painted white. You have a fresh, open, bright, inviting space......with dark builtins...yeah!!! Are they both black??? Also, I was having mild panic attacks (lol) on the fireplace hearth and mantel. I'm assuming it came with the house? Is the hearth black? And do you know anything about the mantel. Thank you!!!

• mommyto4boys
    9 years ago

Not sure why pic didn't show.

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

I think a nice roman shade would bring some color and texture as well as help with the sun.

• mommyto4boys
    9 years ago

Oh, and for the TV. Our built-ins are like this with the doors going in...

Our TV sits on a wood unit, like an upside down tray with pull-out hardware, so,you just pull -out the entire thing and then our TV can be angled any direction too. Think of an inside kitchen cabinet with a pull out, the same idea (upside down) the same glider pulls are used.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Check out the website from Smith and Noble -- perhaps woven shades for the windows -- and the site might have some ideas for the patio doors too ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith and Noble -- maybe their woven shades?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would not do anything dark. I think a fabric shade in a pretty fabric would be nice and either the same fabric or coordinating one for your slider. You might also want to consider remote control over the sink since it will be difficult to reach a cord. Beautiful kitchen!

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I really think the window treatment needs a print and/or some color.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

more visions:

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    9 years ago

Sorry this pic is so dark -- the room is actually filled with light, even with the shade. Patterned fabric shade from Smith and Noble over double window behind sink.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I would want filtered light coming in instead of blocking it completely. The best lighting in a white kitchen is from the sun or it gets a bit depressing. Which is why I think a heavy white, semi-sheer would work.

With semi-sheers, you get to keep the natural light but not worry about the light getting in your face.

We have a couple of awnings on some west windows and they work pretty good. Later in the day when the sun is setting the direct sunlight will shine in the room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Beautiful home and window.

I agree to add some softness to the space and I think a dark woven wood blind will be too dark...rather, keep it softer and lighter.

I like window treatments, so I would look for a double layer. I'd probably want a balloon or other softer, gathered look for the outside out of a gray and white fabric, or maybe use the fabric to add an accent color to the room, like a soft blue, and then some shade underneath for privacy and light control...like duettes or roller shades... that will disappear underneath.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/great-neighborhood-homes-contemporary-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~1062388)

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Edina Design-Build Firms Great Neighborhood Homes

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kbk-interior-design-portfolio-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~164797)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Westfield Interior Designers & Decorators Kingsley Belcher Knauss, ASID

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tuscan-villa-mediterranean-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~7732898)

[Mediterranean Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2109) by Los Angeles Home Builders Cambridge Homes, Inc.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

http://www.smithandnoble.com/info-naturalwovens

Finely woven grass so as to give light and texturing, give some beautiful shadowing and not detract from the loveliness of your kitchen. I think pattern/prints detract from such an exquisite kitchen. I don't like fabrics in the kitchen anyway secondary to steam and oils in food. They have to be dry cleaned frequently and I am not much into taking down and putting back up for dry cleaning.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Full disclosure, I made a balloon valance for my kitchen window. (It's washable...)

• homebuyer23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the comments, suggestions and photos.

I agree with most that I could use some color/fabric in here.

I decided abruptly the other day to just go order those 2" fabric blinds from Lowes. There's something about them I like, and the price was so low, (compared to a roman shade, esp. one from Smith & Noble) I figure they will be OK for a while and will solve the immediate problem of the glaring sun. If I don't love them (likely), Ill start saving up for a custom fabric shade which I do think Id like the most. I'm just in that too tired to think anymore spot & wanted to get something up. Also I didn't expect this but the woman at Lowes told me I can even return them if I hate them so theres no risk! I didn't think you could return a custom size blind...that's a perk of shopping the big box stores I guess.

The pictures were very helpful as I realized maybe I could try a runner or 2 on the floors in the kitchen to add some color? I notice a lot of the kitchens posted above have nice runners.

Mommyto4boys - Thanks so much for the compliments, seriously it makes me feel so good. Especially in regard to my dining room/fireplace. I had originally wanted to do built-ins flanking the fireplace (went back and forth on if I'd do white or dark stain). Our budget ran out though, and so I'm living with the 2 pieces of furniture we already had. The china cabinet on the left is black, the other cabinet is a liquor/bar cabinet from Ikea and its a dark brown.
    The fireplace was red brick with a oak mantle shelf, brass screen and dark gray slate hearth. I whitewashed the brick, changed the screen and painted the mantle White dove.

I think your dark built ins will look great! What does your fireplace look like?

• vrnuta
    9 years ago

I realize the original poster has made a decision, but I thought I would mention that it is possible to make your own roller shade from fabric. At least, I did this for my daughter's nursery in 1974! I used a sheet that matched her comforter, attached it to a blind roller that I bought from a window covering shop, sprayed it with some sort of sizing that at that time was sold for that purpose, put a lightweight piece of wood into the hem for the bottom of the blind, and attached something (I don't remember what) for a pull. Shade looked fabulous and worked fine.

• amykath
    9 years ago

This runner from overstock would look lovely in your kitchen. If you do not like it, they have a ton of other styles and colors.

• homebuyer23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery, thanks! I actually have been looking at runners on overstock for days! I just came across your post, so timely. I cant seem to find this exact one though, do you know what it was called? I DO like it! Thanks

• 4boys2
    9 years ago
  • homebuyer23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks forboystoo :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Sorry homebuyer, I should have added the link. I am glad you like it. It would go great in your kitchen!

forboystoo, how do you do an image search?