Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Is a continental rod best?

IdaClaire
12 years ago

I recently bought new valances for my kitchen and breakfast area:

I absolutely love them, but they have a 3" rod pocket and I believe are meant to be shirred on a continental rod. I just have regular ol' rods now:

and I hesitate to replace them with continental rods, in case I ever want to revert back to my former valanaces. I'm just having a hard time deciding if using continental rods would make that much difference in how the new valances hang. They're not tremendously full, but have more of a tailored look. What would you do - replace the valances with what is probably the "proper" kind, or just use the ones that are there?

Comments (10)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Use the ones that are there and if you don't like the look, try something else. But I think they will be fine. I love that fabric and have from the first time I laid eyes on it.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I believe you can buy an insert that slips in there to fill out the space.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I think the standard rod will work just fine. If your not happy you can always use this product to convert your current rod to a continental rod...

Here is a link that might be useful: Convert a rod

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I have a continental rod in a Waverly valance in my laundry room - really like the way the top stands up nice and tall. Glad to know you can use that conversion piece. Continental rods are pricier than regular.

Another thing - I found a great deal on some cotton panels at a thrift store and they only had a single slot at the top for a skinny rod - the kind where there is not fabric above the rod. I dropped down about two inches below that and sewed a straight seam to make a rod pocket which allowed a little bit of "stand-up" fabric when they were shirred on the rod.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

If the look was important, I'd probably cut some cardboard and hot glue it to the original rod to give the continental look.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, thank you! I had no idea such a converter existed. I went ahead and ordered it - think I'll just get a tension-mount continental rod for the window over my sink, since a tension-mount cafe rod is what I'm using there now - and for less than $15 for the converter, if it doesn't work as expected no great loss.

• User
    12 years ago

Can you sew a straight line? If so, just reduce the size of the rod pocket by sewing a parallel line between the two existing lines leaving the right sized rod pocket. Leave the existing bottom stitching until you decide you like the valance with a regular rod.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I think the continental rod will look much better (or the converter).

tina

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Glad I could help Jen.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to report back that the rod converters arrived and I installed last night. They were super easy to use - well, not much to them, really - just long pieces of plastic that you thread through the curtain pocket, then insert the standard rod behind the plastic, cut the plastic at the ends, and hang. The converters really did make a difference though - the valances hang better now, and I'm very pleased that I gave them a try. Thanks again, justgotabme!