Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yourstilniagarafalls

Thoughts on red piping for this slipcover?

I'm having a new slipcover made for this chair. I like a cottage coastal style and I'm trying to incorporate red into this room. How do you think this chair would look in an off-white denim with solid red or red ticking stripe (on the diagonal) piping?

I am thinking of pairing it with large-scale red checked curtains (similar to those in the stock photo), and a few red accent pillows.

I've seen the contrast piping on chairs that have more of a straight/tailored profile, but I'm not sure how it would look on a more curvy/unfitted slipcover like this one.

Comments (32)

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, here are the curtains:

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think that would be a great choice, to choose piping in red.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about in the same material/pattern as the curtains? Too matchy-matchy?

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I should have mentioned that I actually have four of these chairs to slipcover... so that might be a lot of red check for one smallish room!

I'd like to incorporate more red using accents like a vintage red/white star quilt draped on the back of one chair, etc.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I think perhaps the pattern of the drapery material is too large in scale for piping. It would result in what looks like 3-4 inches of white, then 3-4 inches of red, and so on, even on a diagonal.

If you like the look of contrasting piping, then red ticking (smaller pattern) or solid red would be more complementary.

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree. I would use either solid red or red ticking for the piping.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Solid red or self-fabric. Don't want to be too kitschy.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I would worry about the red bleeding into the white, unless you plan on only dry cleaning. I would probably just use the fabric in a throw pillow.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't care for contrast piping, though someone here used it and it looked great.

• suero
    9 years ago

What do you think?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Love the red ticking idea...still gives punch, but a little softer look than solid red, especially since the curtains will stand out. Love the whole look!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Suero, you are amazing! I love how the red ticked piping looks on the chair.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, Suero, that is what I had in mind when I suggested piping like the curtains.

Or, how about navy? With the red of the curtains, and the cottage-y look of the slipcovers, I think it would look great. Or navy and cream swirl, a la suero's mockup.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 20:02

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Suero, thank you so much for doing that! I really appreciate it and it helps a lot.

I like the ticking look. I think I may go for it. The only issue is that I wouldn't be able to bleach the slipcovers... hmmm.

Sorry Tibbrix, I misunderstood you earlier. :)

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I love the look. My only concern would be that slipcovers sometimes seem to readjust themselves so the seams aren't lying perfectly straight. Contrast piping will highlight any irregularities. I don't mean this to be a "no" vote, simply something to consider if this type of detail would drive you crazy!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You didn't misunderstand me. I specifically said the same material as the curtains, but in my head I just had the micro patters. So I wasn't clear at all.

Don't worry about bleach. There are now so many great cleaning agents. No laundry room should be w/o a bottle of Zout, for example!

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

I have off white slipcover I have used for years, its beautiful, however, I bleach it, hang it in the sun, have kids and dogs all over it. I have parties, dorito dust and wine spills. I cant imagine what it would look like today, with faded pale pink piping. Perhaps pink would be coming back in style.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have the pre-made piping/cording that I put on towels and just wash them like other towels, once a week. They have not faded. The piping is probably polyester. I don't remember. I have had them 6-7 years. I made them because I could not find the trim I wanted on the towels, so I got white and put piping and tassel trim on them from Hancock.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Solid red would be brilliant! Love ticking stripe but it's not enough of a contrast IMO, in very small quantities it may read as pink. I had that Pierre Deux Vichy check in red as curtains for our great room and dining room on a previous house, I loved them. Red and white is very fresh and wonderful, and your plan for a red and white star quilt sounds great!,

• sewlutions
    9 years ago

If you go with a contrast, I would choose solid red. Find a fabric that is a synthetic---polyester would wear best and never fade....even with bleach. Also won't shrink when washed.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

If you do the piping, which I think might be distracting with the lines of this particular type of slipcover, I think you should attempt to find the buffalo plaid check that matches your drapes in a smaller scale and use that, on the diagonal, as piping. The ticking, in my opinion is too washed out, and would not be an asset to the slipcover.

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input. On a related note, I haven't yet sourced the curtain fabric. Does anyone know of a larger-scale red check fabric that would work?

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

I LOVE the idea of red piping. I don't care for the ticking, I think it would look super-sharp with a plain bold red. I do also like the buffalo check. But I think the plain red would be striking!

• suero
    9 years ago

Solid red piping:

• clt3
    9 years ago

P Kaufmann makes one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Red buffalo check

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Found Red White Buffalo Plaid fabric at Fabric.com, see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric.com

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

I like the solid red piping. The ticking is just not bold enough as the others have stated. Also from the photoshopped picture, it comes across as a candy cane look on my phone.

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I like the solid red piping as well. I've ordered samples of both fabrics.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I would skip the contrast trim and just use red in the pillows. The chairs are very nice and neutral and the red piping will marry you to that color forever.

• nuggly
    9 years ago

Just wondering...are you from Niagara Falls?

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, far from it. I just like that saying. :)

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

As was stated, many reds will bleed when washed. Test it out first.
    Diane

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Below is a link for a red Vichy check from Poland. The price in euros is 6,36 per yard and there is a quantity discount over 10 yds i think, did not look at width though. If the others are unsuitable you may want to try it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Vichy check from Poland

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022