Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber4253

Shutter help!

amber4253
9 years ago

We would like to put shutters on our house, the problem is that several windows (on the main part of the house) are a few inches too close together to have shutters that are actually functional. We aren't planning on using the shutters but it is an old house and we want it to look authentic. Is it ok to have the shutters a few inches too narrow or will that look stupid? Also, should we put shutters on the double windows? On the windows under the porch? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

This post was edited by amber4253 on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 15:44

Comments (22)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

If the shutters will be decorative only, the skinny option looks like your only option- have you considered awning style shutters with louvers on the other windows. They could dress up the exterior and add color without any problems since you're working with horizontal planes instead of vertcal spaces which are not conveniently spaced.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Shutters aren't going to work on your house. Your house looks plenty authentic. You could always add an enhance trim to the top of the bottom windows (don't know what it's called!) like in this pic of an authentic Colonial house.

• Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

I am no expert here by a long shot, but the first thing that comes to my mind is the possibility of treating each pair of windows as a single window- one shutter on each outer side. Then hang a pair of shutters on the single windows.
    Pediments (I think that's what they are called) above the first floor windows are another possiblity.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

No shutters but I think the pediment (triangular treatment) above the bottom floor windows, a la Tibbrix's picture, and using a goose neck pediment above the door, also per Tibbrix's picture, would be an enhancement and keep it true to its period authenticity.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I love your house just as it is! I really wouldn't add shutters. If you want to add something to the house how about a few window boxes. It really doesn't need anything and I think shutters will look out of place.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I love your house as is too. No need for skimpy shutters. The trim width around the windows is just fine, and I love the handsome entry, and the addition on the side looks so graceful and inviting, and the color is pretty, and it's all just perfect, and...and...oh, I want your home, lol!

• amber4253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your advice! I am definitely rethinking putting on shutters now...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Another - no shutter vote. Our prior home was a brick georgian colonial, but in other ways similar in form to yours. When we took off the shutters to paint, I much preferred the clean, almost Federal feel it had.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What you might want to do, although it's more expensive, is to repaint the outside so that it goes with your beautiful roof better.

Benjamin Moore has beautiful, and perfect, colors in their Williamsburg Collection. A blue would be amazing with that roof. Check out, in particular, Washington Blue, Brush Blue, and Everard Blue.

• amber4253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking we should paint soon, partially because the previous owners had painted it 3 different color yellows, partially because it is starting to peel and has mildew, and partially because I wanted to paint it a lighter, more mellow yellow. I'll check out the blue colors you mentioned though! the wood shingle roof has actually changed color a fair bit since the first picture, it has more of a grey color now. Here's a picture with all of the leaves this fall.... Any paint color suggestions welcome!!!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Repair any mildewed or rotting wood before you make any cosmetic repairs such as painting. Those rotting and mildewed items are structural. Take care of that first; it would be a shame to let this beautiful home deteriorate or become a target of termites.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It is a beautiful home. I love the little sunroom. I'm wondering why you felt it needed shutters. If you feel the front is lacking something, I'd replace the over-pruned foundation shrubs with some low-growing shrubs with interesting foliage.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like shutters, and if you use them would install as Claire suggested upthread, with one large shutter on either side of the window pairs too close for their own set, and two of course on the center window in the second storey.

The pediment molding would not play well stylistically with the front door arrangement, and awning type shutters, as someone suggested, are really for strong sun control and appropriate to much hotter climates and a more tropical home style than yours.

Your roof color is fairly neutral and could go with a variety of colors. I have a bias against blue siding for lots of reasons, and in your case am not sure it would complement the brownish roof. The right shades of taupe or beige, with black shutters of you do them, would go nicely with the roof, or a lighter yellow. Sage green with dark brown shutters would also be very pretty, and if you are daring, a barn red with white shutters would be lovely as well.

The house and setting are beautiful!

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I vote for no shutters -- I feel they would make your home look Colonial Revival rather than Genuine Colonial!

However, if you decide to go with them, pick up a copy of this month's Old House Journal. It has an article on the correct (and incorrect) use of shutters on old homes.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Authentic Colonial, warm, quaint and inviting;

Body: BM Tavern Charcoal

Trim: BM Pelham Gray

Door: BM Cochineal Red OR Palace Arms Red OR BM CW-310 (China Red) OR BM Mayo Teal.

Or some other bright color from the Williamsburg Collection.

FYI: There are two BM China Reds. Make sure it's the CW-310 China Red.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Shutters in fact would fit if mounted authentically, over the casing. Many people fail to realize this, the side casings get covered, and the hinges mount right at the sash/casing line. The paired windows could have functional shutters, too, mounted in a bifold system.
    Whether they are appropriate is a separate question, but there is no technical obstacle or question of interference if one understands how shutters are actually hung (on hinges).
    Casey

• amber4253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more question- how do you think it would look if we painted the house white, no shutters? Too plain?
    Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You have lovely trim. If you paint the house white, you'd have to also paint the trim so it would still stand out...that's what makes the house look so special.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That's just re-arranging chairs on the boat deck. The color won't make a difference because you're talking about architectural detail, not color. And, like Annie says, if you paint the house white, you'd have to paint the trim a contrasting color.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

It's great you don't want to do something terribly inappropriate to your lovely old home. One thing you have to understand is that there is a strong bias against shutters here. Nothing wrong with liking clean unadorned lines, but if shuttered is the look you personally love, don't throw in the towel so quickly. Listen to your heart and how your house speaks to you. Casey also loves old houses and I believe is more than quite educated on period details.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I actually think white on white can look great. There was a thread about it awhile ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: White on white

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

And if you are in to this sort of thing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fang shui for house color selection.